Unexplored game genres?

Solitudinarian

Registered
Mar 21, 2006
Denver, CO
Could there be such a thing as a NEW genre of game, arcade or console? Keeping in mind the state of current technology, where can the industry go, as far as interactivity is concerned. The first thing that comes to mind is a total immersion VR type game that was fooled around wth several years ago when the technology was still in its infancy and very low on the polygon count. But what about a completely "real" virtual world simulator game/environment, a la Matrix, Virtuosity, Lawnmower Man, etc. Is this the only real next step? talk to me Goose.

I want to see a game where you are a character that is playing a character that is playing a character of yourself.

Really though, if you guys want something radically new, try this on for size.

Have any of you heard of AR? (Augmented Reality)

It's being developed by (mostly) private inventors and programmers right now. Won't hit the market for many years yet, but still worth knowing about.

Picture this: you're walking down the street, wearing a stylish pair of specs that are beaming images into your eyes, images that overlay what you're seeing in reality. The images convey info to you from a small computer you're wearing on you somewhere, all wirelessly. (The specs are probably powered via the electromagnetic field your body generates.) The computer is connected to the Internet, and an advanced GPS, it can keep track of which way you're looking with your eyes (combo of the GPS and a little monitor in the specs). So, forget having to hold a Blackberry and follow its navi around, your path will literally be illuminated in front of you, plus you'll be able to look at a building or a monument and instantly pull up all available info on it. Also, your AR unit will recognize the faces of the people you meet and remind you of their names when you see them again.

So --- that's not a game, but imagine the possibility's for games. Scavenger hunts. Tag. Races from checkpoint to checkpoint (the checkpoints could just be floating balls of light or rings that you have to actually walk through). The possibilities are enormous. Capture the flag on a huge scale.

Ooooh, how about this one. Take an AR unit, plus some sensor equipped foam body armour, and go LARPing. Now all your stats, and those of your party and opponents can be seen live (plus you could go as far as designing an avatar "skin" for yourself in the LARP world).

I'll take an innovation prize now please...

I agree with everyone else on this issue, that the Nintendo will pave the way for new styles of gameplay. With out current technology I don't really think there are new genres sort of speak to create, but I do believe that we can still better blend genres together kind of like what games like GTA does.

What kind of game do I want to be made:

A kick ass game idea to me would be a WWII game real-time stratigy that gives you a Rome Total War feel. You can manage campaigens on multiple fronts, then go further into war control the actual units and use tactics to win the battles. Now for THE KICKER. Allow you to go even further and let you control any one of the units, in First Person Shooter mode. You get all the aspects of warfare, the politican, the comander, and the soilder's point of view.

I know that would require a helliouious amout of manpower and codeing skills, but I am pretty sure that the next gen hardware can support it, just need the right people with the right skills and enough money to make it happen.

A small baby-step in gaming would be to have your own neighborhood as a stage. Whether it's by satellite images or some kind of photo reader, imagine running around in any kind of game where you're fighting in your own backyard. It shouldn't be too far fetched if you consider that we have little robot vacuum cleaners that can memorize a room.

This isn't a new genre, but I'd like to see an Oblivionesque western game. Bigger and better than Gun, that provides open ended cowboy fun.

That would be totally schweet.

Yea the "Watch people taking really big craps" genre. I think it's about ime to bring it out, especially with the new hardware out, or coming out. It'll look like u were in the same bathroom as ur character. But seriously i think there ain't any new genres left, but if there is now would b the best time to showcase it.

Yeah, that's what I meant Basil. Playing through a sim/fighter/puzzler in your own neighborhood. How about an "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" game where you fix up your own house.

About a year ago, Sigma Star Saga was released for the GBA. It was a Shooter/RPG. Think of R-Type or Ikaruga but with Final Fantasy elements. In my opinion, the game didn't turn out so well. My review is posted in the GBA section. But, I do it is credit for trying something new.

In the manner of those glasses mentioned before, if you had glasses that can overlay an image over the reality that surrounds you, then you can take your games to the real world. Couple that with motion sensing gear on the headset and controller/gun/whatever and you could have a shooter in your front yard. You would see your trees, garbage can, and cat through the lenses, but overlaid with an alien popping out from behind them. It could make a great training technique for cops and soldiers, but I don't think parents would approve at first.

How about a driving simulator that hooks to your car? Put youngin's aspiring to be drivers in a vehicle that has either a screen for windows or projects all around. Have every known factor put in just like flight simulators for pilots. Give them so many hours in it to pass the initial course, and then offer more time (at a cost) for those who want/need more time. Then have fun with it and throw in some aliens, guns, and natural disasters.

Nissan has built a concept car that, when parked, turns into a racing game. Can't remember if the action is projected on the windscreen or if there's an LCD, but it's a step in the direction you were mentioning.

The means of using a controller is, I think, become very much antiquated. There are some games I've played where your character could do so much but the controller hampered it. I think the VR or AR is the next step that needs to be taken in the gaming community. I really can't see any other development.