Types of gamers

What type of gamer are you?

• Total voters

Vainglorious

Registered
Mar 21, 2015
There are alot of different type of gamers, and alot of different games they play

In this article I describe various types of gamers, including what they like to do.

Gamers

A gamer is someone who likes to spend their time sitting behind their screen, and playing games.

There's a very large community of gamers all over the world who spend their time together on a multi-player network.

Various game types are to choose from; from Roleplay to FPS (First Person Shooter) and from Arcade to Card games.

Casual gamers

These are the players who like to play a game now and then; but not all the time.

They play games which are easy controlled, and most likely not on a console, but on a PC or tablet.

Sandbox, or sports games are a good example of these. Games like Minecraft and FIFA are some of those.

Most of the times they like playing with people they now in real life, and not over the internet.

They don't wanna look everything up, but like to discover things themselves.

Core gamers

They like to spend most of their time gaming, but when a friend calls or they have to do homework, they'll stop.

A very large range of genres is played by them. They don't finish every game they buy and don't want to play very long story modes; they play with other people around the world. A very good example of games they play is GTA 5:

a free-roam game where your goal is to control the city and become rich.

When they can't figure out what they have to do, they'll watch a video on YouTube, or a livestream on Twitch.

Hardcore gamers

These people do everything to become good at a game, and they play almost all day. They want to become that level 30 on League of Legends, or that level 55 on Call of Duty. Rank is important.

They often have very high-end gaming PC's or consoles like a Playstation 4 or xBox One. An i7 processor is needed to get the maximum FPS out of the game.

The games are hard to control: get your finger off your keyboard, and you're game over.

They often are in a clan/guild, where alot of people play together and team up.

They want to know things like how much damage they do, and what their attack speed % is.

Pro gamers

These are the real MVP's. They are the best at the game and are in the highest league.

They often participate in tournaments for real money.

Some companies like Major League Gaming (MLG) sponsor the professional gamers.

In Asia, that goes up to $250,000, and in North America $100,000.

Hands down to the pros.

I'm in between core and hardcore, depending on time mainly. While I have been known to spend full weekends on a particular game going through it all step by step, I also like to sit down and have an hour every now and again on the games that are less taxing just for a bit of fun rather than anything else.

Reactions: Vainglorious
In my teenage years I liked to think I was a hardcore gamer. I'd spend entire days sitting and playing online games just to prove I was the best at any chosen game. Get good at multiplayer games online, or single player, develop strategies and either try to break it through sheer willpower or find a combination that made me Overpowered.

in my early 20's, I became more of a core gamer. Storylines tended to become more important to me, and I needed to start working on my real life obligations.

Now that I'm nearing 30? I'm almost completely casual. I play World of Warcraft for a few hours a day, and play mostly games that are lent to me by my brothers/friends, or what I can find for sale at Gamestop. I prefer playing one game as long as I possibly can and just do the storyline, playing on easy mode. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't have the time I use to for games.

Reactions: Vainglorious
In my teenage years I liked to think I was a hardcore gamer. I'd spend entire days sitting and playing online games just to prove I was the best at any chosen game. Get good at multiplayer games online, or single player, develop strategies and either try to break it through sheer willpower or find a combination that made me Overpowered.

in my early 20's, I became more of a core gamer. Storylines tended to become more important to me, and I needed to start working on my real life obligations.

Now that I'm nearing 30? I'm almost completely casual. I play World of Warcraft for a few hours a day, and play mostly games that are lent to me by my brothers/friends, or what I can find for sale at Gamestop. I prefer playing one game as long as I possibly can and just do the storyline, playing on easy mode. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't have the time I use to for games.

That's an interesting story. I'm 13 years old right now, and I wonder what I'll be like in 10 years or so.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Still hardcore.

I'm in my early 20's, so I'm going to enjoy the time I have now before I start a family of my own. More than likely, THAT will be knocked down to core gamer, as soon as I find work...again. -.- *Sighs* So, until then, I'll have all my fun that I can possibly can before life calls once again to contribute to it.

Being an adult is *SUCH* fun, said no one EVER!

Based on my performance on Diablo 2 alone I'll proudly say that I'm (or was) a hardcore gamer. You don't get to lvl 91 as a barbarian without master grinding and performing super jukes. Barbarians in D2 are notoriously weak on Hell.

I'd say core gamer. Gaming is my favorite hobby but I always try to draw a line and maintain a healthy balance with real life commitments.

However deep down inside if I could do whatever I wanted I'd probably become a hardcore gamer!

These days I am more of a casual gamer. I just don't have the free time to put in as many hours as I did 10 years ago to play games. I still invest a fair chunk of time each week (mostly playing FIFA and Football Manager) but nowhere near as much as I once did. Alas.

Well, I'm Core I guess. I don't recall ever (or often) allowing a game to take time away from my family or friends. Maybe when games had no save feature but nowadays it doesn't hurt to turn off a game. It'll be there when you get back.

I'm just a casual gamer. I don't play games every single day. I've got a pretty busy schedule and sometimes, I don't have much time anymore to play games online.

I'm a core gamer. I always need to have some game to play or I feel empty. I always install three or four games on my PC just so I can jump right to the next one when I finish playing the previous one. It's not really an addiction because I've got other hobbies, like playing my guitar, girls, work and a whole lot of other stuff. I'm single, so I get to do whatever I want.

I'm just a casual gamer now. I used to spend a lot more time gaming when I was younger. However, I find it hard to game, parent, work, and keep up with my therapy and medication and housework. Ugh... who let me adult... I can't adult.

I used to be more of a core gamer, but in recent years companies just aren't making the kinds of games I like to play and I just don't have as much time. The last console that I played was PS2, which I played heavily. I still have my PS2 and would consider getting out some of my old favorites to play again, if I had a tv.

It's funny how people's priorities change when they get older aswell. Growing up I'd think nothing of spending all weekend playing games, nowadays I barely get time to spend a couple of hours in one go, nevermind a couple of days.

Growing ups rubbish isn't it...

I take gaming quite seriously, but I realise that it is meant to be fun. It is how I relax and I game alot. I do not know what I would class myself as, but I do really enjoy a nice time gaming.

Definitely a casual gamer. I really want to be able to spend more time on the PC and a play more games, but I just can't. Since I've started going to Uni, there is little time for anything on the side, my priority now is getting a part-time job so I can help myself financially and would very much prefer that rather than playing games for, say, 3-4 hours a day.

I used to be a hardcore gamer in my younger years. Always looking for an opportunity to play a video game especially since I didn't own one. Now a days I consider myself to be a core gamer because I play a few times a week.

I've always been more of a casual gamer since I never really got addicted to any of the games that other kids got addicted to. I enjoy watching people play rather than actually playing myself, to be hoe honest, but there are definitely some games that bring out the obsessive hardcore gamer in me.

I use to be hardcore back when I was a teenager. That's all I did. Play video games and go to school. Eventually, age catches up and so does bills. Work and life kicks you in the ass and I have now become a casual gamer.

I don't fit in any one of these definitions. I would think I'm a core gamer, except for that part about them not wanting to play long story driven games. -- I'm definitely not hardcore, I RARELY play online anymore, and I don't DARE touch league of legends cuz I've heard how competitive it is, and I'm too sensitive and tired of a game that feels more like a job, having to play x amount of hours, in x ways, at x time and day. Back when I used to play MMORPGs, my ex (who was bf at the time), used to dictate what we could or couldn't do each night based on if we had to raid, and I obediently followed his schedule, like couldn't go see a movie or concert or go to a restaurant if it was too far away or too crowded, etc on a "raid night". It is not the way I want to live my life. Games are a HUUUUGE part of my life, been gaming since the early 90s / 8 bit and 16 bit era. And I also do play games on my PC and tablet. -- my favorite games ARE long story driven games though. And lately, the last 2-3 years I've mostly played offline games / single player due to my burn out on MMORPG. I am looking forward to Tree of Savior though, I think it might get me back into mmo gaming again. I play everything from action/adventure games, roleplaying, sandbox (like skyrim or black and white), simulation, and visual novels. The only genres I really don't care for are sports and FPS (sports is dull to me, though I have played and even owned some of the madden titles) and FPS, I just suck at those, though I've played quite a few in my day, it's definitely not my game of choice. When I game, I enjoy exploring, solving puzzles, reading the story, watching characters progress psychologically, uncovering their motives, and learning about the game world and lore. None of these labels really fit the type of gamer that I am :)