Trash talk between friends...

g2narat

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
I'm not a big fan of trash talk when gaming against virtual strangers. Maybe I'm just too polite or I just don't want to think about how much trash talk is okay and how much is going too far. It's different with my friends though. I guess it's because I know they'd never take anything I say while gaming too seriously. What about you?

Yeah I generally don't trash talk against people because its sort of silly to, unless they start to do it in a way that goes beyond trash talking and is just meant to be annoying/rude. Then I have no qualms about retorting back.

I also enjoy trash talking with friends a lot more because there is an underlying understanding that it's all in good fun. I don't mind it with strangers too though because I never take it that seriously and I think if they do then that is their fault. However, I never start the trash talk on my own because it's just not in me, but I'm not too against dishing it out when needed.

I do not know how to talk trash as well. If your friends only talk trash while playing a game, then I guess it is just for fun. You do not need to be exactly like them. Do your thing and have fun without the trash words.

I play a lot of DotA and one of my teams main tactical strategies is using trash talk to our advantage. I pick a strong hero thats is generally hard to kill, but not one that should be targeted first in a team fight. When the game gets under way and ganking begins I start trash talking an enemy player, once I have all his feathers ruffled I start on one of his teammates as well, by the time I get to the 3rd teammate the whole team is targeting me. If you play Dota then you know there is a strategy to team fights and you want to kill the enemy team in a certain order, by targeting me they mess the whole tactical advantage they would have up because am not the hero they should be targeting. By targeting me first when they shouldn't they kill me but by the time the team fight is over I have re-spawned as all their health levels are so low they can no longer defend themselves. This allows my team to get an early advantage from huge team fight victories and gaining the experience and gold from those battles. Before the enemy team realizes what we have done it is far to late and the victory for us is already in the bag.

I'm not a big fan of trash talk when gaming against virtual strangers. Maybe I'm just too polite or I just don't want to think about how much trash talk is okay and how much is going too far. It's different with my friends though. I guess it's because I know they'd never take anything I say while gaming too seriously. What about you?
I do trash talk every once in a while but not out of malice but rather to vent out negative energy within me.After a hard day at work,it's most likely that you'll need some sort of mechanism to reinvigorate yourself.

Trash talking is annoying if you're doing it to strangers, especially if you're the receiver. However, a few comments to your friends won't hurt, although it's bad if you do it consistently since you can hurt their feelings. My friends consider me a very sarcastic and humor-centric person so whenever I trash talk, they know that it's a joke.

I think it's really obvious that you shouldn't be talking trash to complete strangers. You can do it with you friends because you know them, know what topics are ok and what topics to ster away from. With a friend there's not as big of a chance to accidentally "push buttons" when it comes to things that the other person would rather avoid talking about. Besides isn't it just common decency? You would never trash talk a person you just met on the streets, why should it then be ok to trash talk a person you just met in a game?

Totally agree. When it's with strangers, it's just annoying. I don't really appreciate strangers doing it with me, but with friends it's usually funny and no big deal.

Same rules when it comes to anything in life, basically. When I play a basketball game or something with friends, we all joke around and trash talk, but I wouldn't do that to someone I didn't know. I know they would take it the wrong way, even if it was meant to be just light-hearted.

Trash talking with friends is one thing because you know how far you can go and when you should stop. You know what you shouldn't say and what is OK to say. For strangers, No. I don't believe that trash talking random people is a great idea nor should be done.

In games, However, As CyberPinoy said, It can give you an advantage. Some people let their emotions rule them and doing things like this can be invaluable to you or your team mates. I would not do it by random unless someone would do it to me first. After that, Gloves are off.

Now lets understand there are limits to trash talking especially to strangers. You don't want to anger the person just russle them up, you don't say things about their family or race or anything like that, i am not talking about direct insults. You attack their gameplay only. Trash talking as a tactic only used in game situations. You prey on every little mistake they make you push their buttons so bad it just make them concentrate more on trying to kill you than anything else. then you follow the strategy I posted above and you will see how trash talking is more than just a way to make someone mad it is a tool that can be used to guide your team to victory.

I'll trash talk with friends on a game but we all know there are lines not to cross in regards to what we say when we're doing the trashtalking. Everyone has things they don't want pointed out, even if it's just in light-hearted fun. As long as we know where eachtother's lines are, we're fine.

I don't trash talk too much, even with friends. I prefer to keep the game from getting too serious. ;)

Trash talking is fun only with my friends because we have a similar sense of humor. I would be way too self conscious to even trash talk to a stranger and it could be considered harassment, so I'd rather not get reported.

With strangers? Nah, but trash talk amongst friends is a must. :cool:

It's way too much fun.

Between me and my friends, we'll usually trash talk each other through skype when we play a game. Because we know each other well enough to know what truly offends each other, slinging insults and jokes is usually just a way to relieve stress and build camaraderie. When playing with strangers though, that's usually a different issue. You have no idea who is on the other side, and so in that case the old adage of 'If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything' comes into play.

I love trash talking with my friends. I'm usually the one that would start it! It usually makes everyone a lot more competitive, and chances are I already think that I'm the best so everyone wants to prove me wrong. Luckily, it's never gotten out of hand, but I don't think that it ever will. Whenever I play video games with my friends, trash talking is to be expected.

I used to trash talk with my guild, but then you start to realize how silly it is to be proud of accomplishments in a video game. Like who really cares if my dps is 3% higher than his, or I have more mounts and pets.. It just sounds stupid after awhile.