Trade in Your Old Console for Discounts

bigbrain50

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
Jamaica
Ok Microsoft has had this policy for a while now, where you can trade in your old Xbox 360 or PS3 and you get $100 towards an Xbox One, I was wondering, why Sony hasn't followed suit, even though the PS4 is currently the best selling console on the market, I guess you could argue that they don't need any gimmicks, but its a legitimate concern, what if I had an old console or consoles I don't use anymore, but I really wanted a Playstation 4, and it would have been an added bonus to get a discount for my old obsolete console, there isn't a mechanism for that with Sony. What do you all think, should Sony offer discounts on the PS4 for trading in your old consoles?

Yeah, I wish they would though. I would do that in a heartbeat. I've heard that they're not going to wait as long to drop the new consoles. Has anyone else heard anything about this approach?

I didn't know about Microsoft's policy regarding the trade in. That makes the One just that much more appealing to me. I have to say that of the two, I would trade my extra 360 in for the One over the PS4. By the time I will most likely invest in a PS4, it would've already dropped in price enough for me to justify it. I really only have a PSanything for exclusives and thus far, I haven't seen an exclusive that I just have to have one for.

Even if Sony is not desperate and has control of the market, they should offer this option. I have a PS3 that I would love to trade in to get a few bucks off the PS4. Long term it helps Sony. Customers will end up buying the newest system and the newest games. They should offer 125 dollars back if you give in your Xbox lmao. Crush the competition.

I think one of the reasons why Sony would be hesitant to take back the PS3 is that it took so long for them to generate a profit off of them, that they would lose it all of it by paying out $100 to buy the PS4. Are they turning a profit on the PS4s yet? It usually takes a minute on these new consoles.

Well the PS4 is the best seller at the moment... while the WiiU is being left behind in the dust. So the big question is why isn't Nintendo doing anything like this? But it's also probably just a typical marketing scheme that Sony hasn't caught up with yet. Best Buy are after all offering $150 for the same thing.

At some point the price of the xbox will drop too much for sony to ignore. Kind of like how coke and pepsi have to spend the same amount for marketing every year.

Just a side not what are they doing with these older consoles. I doubt MS will be just storing them away in a store cupboard somewhere. Maybe they will be putting them back on the market through resellers at a slight mark up.

I held off buying a 360 and PS3 till the next gen came out expecting the price to drop. If anything they have gone up in value as people realise their older games don't work on them. So if people get a discount, I get a cheaper console and MS make some money in the middle - win win win.

I don't typically trade my old systems in. In my opinion, most places screw you over and don't give you anywhere near what you should getting in return for a trade. Your best bet is to just sell to someone you know or on Amazon or Ebay. Typically you'll find someone who will give you at least close to what your product is worth. If Sony were to start a buyback program, they wouldn't offer you anything near what you should get.

Well the PS4 is the best seller at the moment... while the WiiU is being left behind in the dust. So the big question is why isn't Nintendo doing anything like this? But it's also probably just a typical marketing scheme that Sony hasn't caught up with yet. Best Buy are after all offering $150 for the same thing.

Question: is it on the spot for Best Buy? I ask because it looks like the trade in through Microsoft is a redemption code and you have to then order the One that you want. The shipping and handling would cut into your trade in a bit, at least more than what I would want.

I wish Sony would follow suit with something similar. However, Sony's always been good at selling their wares without the use of extra gimmicks. As far as I know, they usually let the product they are trying to sell to a consumer speak for itself.

I don't think Sony would do it because they don't need it. Xbox needs to catch up and it's why they've been offering discounts and lots more promos like these. From a consumer side, however, I don't see why I shouldn't just sell it on my own since I could potentially get a lot more and it even affords me to get my own choice of console since I wouldn't be stuck with only being able to get an xbox one. It is a good promo though. I'd surely still consider it if I were willing to part with my old console.

Instead of asking Sony to created discount for products they have no use for, why not try and use the internet to attract people who are willing to buy your old console systems?! This is supply and demand 101, what a entity doesn't need it will not even attempt to acquire it - so why not find a few people out of 7 billion plus humans who may want or need your owl console system! I've sold my console systems and games online before, and all it took to create an ad for it was less time and effort than me writing this comment here...

Yeah, Sony isn't really as desperate in the gaming console market. It's unfortunate, but for most companies, the needs of the consumers come after profits, hence why now you see so many pre-order options, ridiculously priced DLCs, and microtransactions. However, I'm definitely glad that Microsoft has made this offer for the Xbox. Remember that you can always just sell your old consoles online.

Sony is offering $60 to people in Japan to trade-in their Xbox 360s towards PS4s or Vitas.