Top Ten Games List!

I think I'll switch this up and give my favorite games from each individual system I've owned or just played:

PC - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Arcade - Golden Axe
ColecoVision - Gorf
Atari 2600 - Combat
NES - Super Mario Bros.
SNES - Super Star Wars
Sega Master System - Alex Kidd in Miracle World (an unassuming platformer...but I dreamed about it when I slept).
Sega Genesis - Phantasy Star II
Sega Saturn - World Series Baseball
Nintendo 64 - Goldeneye
PlayStation - Final Fantasy VII
Dreamcast - Phantasy Star Online
PlayStation 2 - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Xbox - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Gamecube - Resident Evil 4
Xbox360 - yeah, I know, a little early, but so far it's Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

PC - Starcraft
Arcade - Any of the Capcom VS games
Atari 2600 - Stampede
NES - Super Mario Bros. 3
SNES - Either Mario World or
Sega Master System - That hunting game that was a ripoff of Duckhunt
Sega Genesis - Sonic 3
Nintendo 64 - Goldeneye, maybe Smash Bros
PlayStation - Final Fantasy Tactics
PlayStation 2 - Suikoden 3
Xbox - Guilty Gear X2 Reload, Halo 2
Gamecube - Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime

1. Mario Kart
2. Super Mario World
3. Paper Mario
4. Mario RPG
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
7. Donkey Kong Country 3
8. TMNT: Turtles In Time
9. Maple Story
10. Counter Strike

KrissyKat said:
1. Mario Kart
2. Super Mario World
3. Paper Mario
4. Mario RPG
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
7. Donkey Kong Country 3
8. TMNT: Turtles In Time
9. Maple Story
10. Counter Strike

Mama mia!

I love your list almost as much as I love you. :mario:

Ony the top three are in order. After that no order just the best ever.

1. Metroid Fusion
2. Link to the Past
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Devil May Cry
5. Burnout Rvenge
5. Zelda Windwaker
6. Star Wars KOTOR
7. Mike Tyson Punch Out
8. Streets of Rage 1-3
9. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
10. Super Mario Bros. 3

Damint this list should be longer.

In no particular order...

1) Final Fantasy series... all except IX, XI and X-2 (Tactics included)
2) SOCOM 3
3) Fight Night Round 3
4) MVP Baseball 2005
5) Ultimate Spiderman
6) Smackdown vs Raw 2006
7) Madden 2006
8) Super Smash Bros. Melee
9) Kindom Hearts Series
10) GTA Series

Yar! Ye be lackin' in da one section war ye be needin' it most! That be usin' thar powder aside to shoot ye metal through them scurvy lads carcasses!

spudlyff8fan said:
Yar! Ye be lackin' in da one section war ye be needin' it most! That be usin' thar powder aside to shoot ye metal through them scurvy lads carcasses!

Yarg! you be me hero. Yar!

Jason mv said:
What! How can you not have Halo in there?

( ::: Gets out gas can ::: )

Maybe because it was totally unoriginal? Beyond the interface for the Jeep (which I admit was nicely done), there really wasn't anything in there that hadn't been done years before, and much better, in other FPS games. How anyone managed to endure the game past that awful "copy and paste" alien ship interior section ("look, Ma... even MORE purple corridors!") is beyond me. :cookiemon

I'll admit that the level designs were kind of long and repetitive. I think the appeal is was in the battle mechanics. I had not played a FPS up until Halo that forced me to use a mixture of sheer brute force and cunning. Plus it really forced you to think in three-dimensions, because you would have fire coming from you at all types of angles, with unpredictable enemy movements to boot. All other FPSs previously were mostly run and gun against bull-charging demons or dumb enemies that stand there in the open and trade G.I. Joe gunfire with you. (If you want some good realism, go with Brothers in Arms).

In retrospect, Halo 2's single-player campaign is probably better. It really improved on everything. I love the way the Elites seek cover and have to let their shields recharge just like you. Halo 2's world was even more dynamic, and the level and mission designs were more varied as well.

All great and valid points, and I agree that Halo 2's SP was a big improvement, but then again, ALL of the things you mentioned (tactical thinking, 3D awareness, AI enemies that seem to think, etc.) were done much earlier in other PC-based games. Honestly, if Halo and Halo 2 had been released as PC-only FPS shooters, they would have faded to obscurity and been in the bargain bins within 45 days of release. I'm hesitant to say something like "console players must be used to getting less than PC players in a FPS title", but I PERSONALLY (just my opinion) feel that FPS is one genre that really does not play very well on consoles. Don't get me wrong- some genres (Fighting, Puzzle, certain types of Role-Playing) are clearly superior on console, just not FPS.

Yeah...I mean why would you choose Halo 2 when you could choose something like...Half Life. I mean, sure, it has no plot. It has no replay value. It has weak multiplayer.

But it has Gordon Freeman! He has glasses! Sure, he has no backstory outside he went to MIT and somehow learned how to shoot people! He also has a beard and a super-cyber suit thing. And he blew up the planet...or something. Ya don't really know unless you look it up online because the GAME HAS NO PLOT. And how bout Half Life 2? It has a gravity gun! Yay! Now pay $200 for some random hardware upgrades!

And cmon, Imago. You're supposed to be inside of a building in those purple places. It would've been stupid if the big bad Covenant decided to let their artistic side show and decided to paint every wall a different color.

I tend to agree that FPSs have greater potential on a PC. Of course console FPSs often have to use a small targeting facilitation system due to the nature of using a console controller (like when the targeting reticule slows down briefly in the line of sight of a target). Still, I've played Half-Life and Half-Life 2 on PC. Very great games. But there's still something about Halo. I'm sure there were PC FPSs that had all the elements before Halo had them, but in combination and the same degree of excellence? I would like to know about and play some of those games. PC games are sorely lacking in repertoire.

Halo 2 really didn't have repetitive (as in cookiecutter) levels outside of the Covenant base-type levels, which, like I said, are buildings! I mean, if you go to any large, multi-storied building, every floor looks the same. Here at my college, we have a 3-story building shaped like a bow-tie. Each floor on each side looks just like any of the others. But I don't think that FPSs are in any way really limited on consoles, especially now with double control sticks (I'll admit that they were hindered back in the day of DOOM on the SNES, and Quake on the N64, and in some ways, Metroid Prime on the Cube). But now, you have just as much freedom of movement as in PC FPSs.

Edit- Well, they're limited in terms of things like user-created content.

Half-Life gave rise to the CounterStrike mod, and if ever there was a hardcore amongst hardcore base of PC gamers, it's the CounterStrike crowd...and they seemingly will never die. The thing about PC FPS' that I found gratifying ever since Doom was the map editing that allowed for some crazy mods. Sure, they can add new maps to Halo over Xbox Live, but until they allow user created content, the replayability of an FPS on a PC will probably outweigh the console side by a margin just because when tired of the same old maps and objectives, somebody creates an Evil Dead mod, or a brand new multiplayer map gets made by some twisted loner genius at MIT. Or make your own.

As for hardware considerations, sure there's the added annoyance of having to have the right parts to really optimize a game, but PC gamers enjoy customization for the most part. My graphics card has lasted me two years, and will probably hold up for another four or so. The lifecycle of consoles lately seem to be about five years or so nowadays.

And one last thing...as much as I love Halo and Halo 2, the storyline is pretty much a guy versus aliens. The plotting makes a little more sense than in Half-Life and Half-Life 2, but really, guys, ....storylines??? Guys versus aliens. Neither of these two games would win for most original premise in gaming. Who cares...now load up and go shoot something from outer space.

The only thing the Halo series has that makes it great is the same thing Goldeneye for the N64 had, the multiplayer.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Halo 1 and 2, single player wise I enjoyed myself more playing Deus Ex, Project Snowblind, and the underrated Breakdown, all of which had crappy or no multiplayer by the way. Truth be told, if Halo didn't have some of the best multiplayer ever it wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is right now, and in my belief the xbox would of gone the way of the Dreamcast *sigh, I miss Power Stone*

Here goes...
10. Mortal Kombat 3 (combos baby, combos)
9. Full Throttle (best Lucasarts game hands down)
8. Carmageddon (huge level, crappy graphics, lots o' killin' things)
7. NHL (EA series for Genesis)
6. Lode Runner (killer monks)
5. Pitfall (Atari)
4. Hard Hat Mack (commodore 64)
3. Jumpman (commodore 64)
2. N (it's the ass-kickin'est) www.harveycartel.org/metanet
1. Rise of the Triads (greatest unsung FPS ever, no doubt)

I dare anyone to challenge that list.

kurruption said:
The only thing the Halo series has that makes it great is the same thing Goldeneye for the N64 had, the multiplayer.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Halo 1 and 2, single player wise I enjoyed myself more playing Deus Ex, Project Snowblind, and the underrated Breakdown, all of which had crappy or no multiplayer by the way. Truth be told, if Halo didn't have some of the best multiplayer ever it wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is right now, and in my belief the xbox would of gone the way of the Dreamcast *sigh, I miss Power Stone*

Yes i miss Power Stone also.........................Memories.

And GoledenEye shouuld go down as the best there is and the best there ever was. sadlly i think Halo may get that............

Solitudinarian said:
Here goes...
10. Mortal Kombat 3 (combos baby, combos)
9. Full Throttle (best Lucasarts game hands down)
8. Carmageddon (huge level, crappy graphics, lots o' killin' things)
7. NHL (EA series for Genesis)
6. Lode Runner (killer monks)
5. Pitfall (Atari)
4. Hard Hat Mack (commodore 64)
3. Jumpman (commodore 64)
2. N (it's the ass-kickin'est) www.harveycartel.org/metanet
1. Rise of the Triads (greatest unsung FPS ever, no doubt)

I dare anyone to challenge that list.

I dare.

10. Mortal Kombat 3 was not the best of the series, as any MK fan will attest. MK 2 had it beat. A combo system alone does not a game make, not a popular one, by any means. Have you ever wondered why Midway had to create an upgrade for it? It lacked polish, just as 4 did. :(

9. No, Full Throttle was not Lucasarts' best title. It was good, yes, but I know I can find people who will tell you other titles were Lucasarts' best.

8. Carmageddon? Another off-the-wall title. I remember messing with it a bit at a lan center many many moons ago. It was fun, but the multiplayer was messy at best.

7. Sports games. Don't play them unless you're playing with other humans.

6. I'll take the Lode Runner here. It's a good game. I remember playing it on an Apple II. Good Broderbund title.

5. Pitfall. Ah, the classic. I'm not precisely sure where you got the Publisher from(Activision did it), but an excellent title nonetheless.

4. Hard Hat Mack?

3. Jumpman is okay, but not worthy of a big list material in my eyes.

2. A Lode Runner wanna be, N doesn't belong on any list.

1. Rise of the Triad was a Doom clone whipped together by ID Software. Good game, plenty of gore and extras to not make it completely a Doom clone. I'd put it higher up on a list for multiplayer.

There. Challenged.