Too old to play games?

Yeah, man. There's definitely a misconception as to what video games are. Hopefully games will be observed as a viable medium.

I think a lot of it is a generation thing as well. My generation has been brought up on video games and I think have been quite fortunate to have seen a massive development in the way games are also perceived.
I'd like to think the 'games are for kids' attitude is now a thing of the past.

Reactions: henry55
Of course not. We older guys have been playing video games since they came out, so if anyone has the right to keep playing them is us. We're the original gamers. If you ask most young gamers today they don't even know what Pong is.

People who say you're too old to be playing video games seem to assume that past a certain age, you're supposed to just be doing productive stuff, or have non-game hobbies just as fixing your car or writing a book. Video games seem to be associated with the child/teen demographic, and often has the negative portrayal of being "time wasting activities" where kids are being lazy sitting in front of a computer instead of going outside and talking to other kids. Oddly enough, the people throwing these accusations are often found sitting in front of a TV for hours on the weekends. Of course, there are also those who are just trolls and want to get under your skin.

There's no such thing as too old for video games. Sure there might come a time when you simply lose interest - goodness knows I'm only in my early 20s and I already don't have interest in gaming outside of Minecraft and a select couple others.

20+ and I'm already feeling pretty old as a gamer, my reflexes have slowed down a little but I can still enjoy most games easily. However it gets a bit more lonely since many of my friends have stopped gaming :/

I am 34 and I know that I will always love my games. I admit I'm not really into the newer games or MMO's. I don't think there is a cutoff, you can like what you like all your life. I know I will also always love and enjoy anime, which tends to go with gaming. I often get a negative response when I tell people that I like anime, kpop, and games too.

That's another issue, what games you tell people you actually play. People judge very easily and if you say your a massive COD fan, they have a mental picture of some middle aged guy sat in a spare room with the curtains closed and a head set on.

That's not the case, well...Not always anyway!

Nope, there isn't such a thing as being too old to play games, people just assume that because not many adults do it. But that does not mean that they don't want to, they just don't have the time. Also, we are reaching such a point in our century, that the adults that are developing now, used to play games as kids, and that is mainly why they continue to do it in their adult years. For someone like my father, who hasn't played a video game in his lifetime, it will be a weird concept, and anyway, he doesn't even have time to occupy himself with such things.

Nope, there isn't such a thing as being too old to play games, people just assume that because not many adults do it. But that does not mean that they don't want to, they just don't have the time. Also, we are reaching such a point in our century, that the adults that are developing now, used to play games as kids, and that is mainly why they continue to do it in their adult years. For someone like my father, who hasn't played a video game in his lifetime, it will be a weird concept, and anyway, he doesn't even have time to occupy himself with such things.
Actually, more adults play games than kids. I posted this stat in another thread but according to the latest research data available, the average of a gamer is 30. Research indicates that there are more gamers over the age of 36 than between the ages of 18 to 35 or under the age of 18. 39% of all gamers aver over the age of 36. By comparison, 29% of gamers are under 18 and 32% are between the ages of 18-35.

You are never too old to play video games. Just don't play with the teenagers if you are way older than them. That could be a little creepy and probably annoying to you at times. There are plenty of groups of older gamers in every game. Just find those people (unless you're playing a solo person game, of course) and hang out with them. I'm sure that a lot of us are going to be playing video games when we're old. I'll be playing until the game I die if I'm still having fun. Can you imagine being a grandparent and snipping/trolling kids on whatever game is the new Call of Duty? LOL

You are never too old to play games in the same way that you are never to old to play any sport or activity that you enjoy. Everything should be enjoyed in moderation. Gaming is possibly something that compliments old age in that there are few physical requirements but equivalent enjoyment to be had.

No such thing as too old to play games. Maybe those close minded people telling you that, should give it a try sometime lol. Sounds like they could do with more creativity and fun in their lives.

I'm 33 and grew up playing games. Why would my interests just suddenly change? Like "NOPE, Today I turn 21; I am putting away these childish relics of my past and starting a new chapter of my life" lol.

It's not like one suddenly walks through a magic doorway at any set age that grants them some other worldly wisdom, maturity, insight, etc.

Age is just a number! You don't have to give up things you enjoy. Everyone needs a hobby. And there's nothing at all wrong with being "Young at Heart" It's one of the very best things you can be! Young at heart does not equal immaturity. It just means you know how to cut lose and have fun!

To me, gaming is what makes me WHO I am. Whenever I introduce myself to anyone, I always tell them I'm a gamer. I usually say that before stating my occupation or any other skills or talents or interests.

No way would I quit gaming, chatting about games, both online and off, or being PROUD of my hobby.

Don't worry about what others say and do; you just keep on being you :)

Edit to add: When I used to play MMORPGs, there were a LOT of people in their 40s, 50s, even 60s! who were in my guild especially in WoW and FFXI. And they all kept their gear up competitively and devoted the same amount of time to endgame raiding and helped the new members, or socialized and cracked jokes, etc. I think that illustrates for itself, how games can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their age.

Last edited:
Well I have to agree. What other people say or think about it, I'm not going to stop gaming am I? People always have an opinion about most things, doesn't mean you can't make your own decisions though.

There's nothing wrong with being an older gamer. Like anything else we do for entertainment, there's no age limit that would forbid us in doing it. If I had more time on my hands, I would be playing it more.

I would actually say that videogames are more and more accepted as a pastime for all ages. Just think that in the 90s, games were still thought as kids only market and now the biggest titles are all marketed towards adults.

No, not even in a million years, haha. Nobody's too old to play videogames, as nobody is too old to enjoy some good quality time. Once, my grandfather (he's a cool guy) saw me playing GTA V on my console and asked what's going on there. He told me he wanted to play, I showed him the controls and then he spent like 1 hour driving around the city! Never too old to rock some GTA, peeps.

I still find playing the older games fun. The newer games are on another level. Gamers have changed over the years and the demand for new experiences have gone up as well.

There is no shame in old timers playing video games. We were the ones that played the atari 2600.

I'm going to echo the sentiment that you can never be too old to play games. As long as it's not impacting other aspects of your life negatively, you should be free to do what you enjoy.

I will say, though, as I've gotten older I've been more inclined to play by myself or with friends than with random people online. I have very little patience for random 13 year olds calling me gendered slurs, haha. Plus I like to be able to explore and get used to a game without people yelling at me for not knowing what I'm doing.

I agree with everyone else who said that you can never be too old to play games. Playing games is the best way for me to unwind from a really tough day, and I'd never allow anyone to prohibit me from doing what I enjoy. My boyfriend and I both agree on this. In fact, it's even his dream to be the cool granddad who plays games with his grandchildren someday! Moreover, I'd like to believe that games improve our mental faculties and that they benefit us "older people" more than it does us harm. So yeah, you just have to manage your time well and know when enough is enough, especially if you have other commitments to attend to.

I`m 32 and I have been playing games for as long as I can remember. It is my favorite hobby and has brought me hours upon hours of fun and joy, so, people who ask me if I might be a bit too old to play games, I flat out ignore. They have no idea what gaming is all about, thinking that it is only for little kids.