This always seems to happen...

Super Mario

Registered
Apr 20, 2006
Medford, Oregon
I seem to go through "phases" I guess you could call them. For a while I'll be an XBox gamer, a PS2 for a while, and a GameCuber for a while. Now I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy because I absolutely love XBox (it has my biggest library of games), and I love PS2. However, it always seems like it's Nintendo I come back to and say, ''wow, this is what gaming is all about." I just feel like Nintendo are the ones that really put the game in videogame. It's hard for me to explain but with games like GTA, sure you're playing a game, but the fact that it feels so cinematic, it feels more like something else than a game. I guess one could say we're too focused on realism other than great gameplay... and rather than great gameplay, we get rather basic and mediocre gameplay just to hold us in.

Now you take a look at Nintendo. They've been recycling the same characters for over 20 years now... You'd think we'd be sick of them, but the thing is, we are not. Anytime a new Mario comes out everyone is all over it. Now you take some other game, I'll say GTA, you take the same characters and use them in sequel after sequel, no one would go for it, and why is that? Because the gameplay is so basic, and you can only find running over people fun for so long.

What sparked this is my recent purchase of the Nintendo DS. I only have Mario Kart for it, but it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played since, welll... Double Dash haha. I've enjoyed games for other systems here and there, but not like I do with Nintendo.

Maybe someone can explain what I'm trying to say better.

I think the difference is the focus. For example in previews where the developers are interviewed for non-nintendo games, it seems like their focus is always on a certain issue, wheter it be the realisim, the open world, the way every bullet counts, the multiplayer, etc. In essence they are trying to make the "Most realistic game" or the "best looking shooting game" or " the best open world game". However for Nintendo it seems the qualifier is let's make a fun game, and the focus never shifts from that. Not to say the GTAs, Blacks, and Halo 2s of the world are not fun, but I think it is the focus on fun games that gives Nintendo that special quality.

I am a big Nintendo fan as well, and I agree with you somewhat.

I don't agree completely though, because there are plenty of other games that are on other systems that I feel like I can always go back to. The obvious example is Halo, which I feel like I can play if all else fails.

I would love to play my gamecube some more, but it got stolen, so I can't. :(

the reason nintendo so great because the're still alive... their cast of chacters are some of the best around.... MARIO IS THE MAN.... sonic would take him but still... but nintendo has a magic no other does.... they are videogames... what is out now is a vurtual experiance.... games arent games anymore, there controled stories... thats why old school can never die because nothing is harder then versing someone in supermario allstar battle mode.... its hard as hell.. oh but ps2 is better then xbox... lol just saying