The worst steam winter sale ever? Or am I just jaded

Cryyo

Registered
Jan 1, 2015
Maybe I have just bought too many games at this point, but it seems like there was nothing worth getting this winter sale. Normally it's the most exciting thing to happen in the gaming world for me, but I didn't buy a single item this year. Were the deals just not as good? Do I have too big a backlog? I don't know. What do you guys think? Fail sale?

Reactions: Mark Mulkeen
I think it's a mix of the two. I remember the Summer Sale in 2012 was absolutely amazing. the badge was quite fun to craft, as it wasn't just pressing a button every day, and plus you could get items for other games by completing activities and achievements. Flash sales were also every 8 hours, instead of the 24 hours for this winter sale. And visually, the design of the store was much more interesting.

but i do agree with the fact that we, as steam users might be a little jaded. we've gone through quite a few sales, so it makes sense that for us, it'd be 'same old same old.' so it's probably a mix of Valve not being on point as before, and Steam users just getting older.

Lately I feel companies have been saturating us with specials that when we see a good one we are less likely to take it because 1. we already brought the game on special or 2. we are sick of seeing the same specials over and over. There were some good specials, my problem was alot of the games I already own, such as Prison Architect and Don't Starve. I instead checked with my friends and gifted a few games to them as a late Christmas Present :p.

Well I think if you've bought a lot in the past or have games still the play then you're probably just jaded. I've not given much attention to it this year though. Just think by the time get round to playing the games we've bought and not played yet, the ones we might consider buying might be even cheaper! There are many great deals, but I think you do reach a point where you feel bloated. It's like when you eat too much.

There's no question that the Steam sales have become more and more repetitive, with the same games available on every sale, but this is the market now. The player pool is growing and a lot of the new PC gamers are thankful for finding bargains every time, I know I was.

In my particular case, I have 41 games left on my wishlist and never clear it out because I want to be excited for every sale. It might also be that I'm more of a patient gamer and I wait on playing a game until it's fully finished. This winter sale, I bought Bioshock Infinite and I'm enjoying the game quite a bit :)

Steam is doing some pretty interesting things leading me to believe they have been having some ...how can I say this... some close budget situations. From the complete removal of giving items away in games like DotA to other price increases and other things. I have no choice but to believe they are nt making enough money to meet their budget right now. To be honest they are either having Budget issues or simply put they are just getting greedy. I dont know which one it really is right now.

I didn't spend that much during this sale, but I guess it's because many repeats were brought over from the recent Summer/Autumn sales. That said there were some pretty nice new discounts, especially for Wolfstein, South Park and Shovel Knight.