The Wii U Is Slowly Making a Comeback...Sort Of

AFKATafcar

Registered
Dec 1, 2014
Seattle, WA
Of course, the Wii U rarely gets comparable coverage as the Xbox One and Playstation 4. Nintendo's console started off with a whimper by posting disappointing sales a couple years ago. It hasn't sold nearly as well as Sony or Microsoft's consoles, which isn't that surprising. And yet it seems as though the Wii U is slowly making a comeback.

Recently, hit titles like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and a number of other exclusive titles. There's no chance that the Wii U catches up with the other current gen consoles, but it's starting to gain some steam for Nintendo, which has been struggling mightily lately.

If you own a Wii U AND another console, which one do you find yourself using the most?

The issue with Nintendo is that they really only have first party games for which they're currently relying on to get any money from the Wii U. I think that Smash Bros. secured them for a bit of time, but they'll just lose the next console race if they don't step up they game in nearly all aspects, get other devs interested in making games for them. I decided to skip on the WiiU after my Wii hardly saw any use compared to my 360 and PS3, and i'm currently enjoying my PS4 thoroughly.

If Nintendo makes another console (excluding handhelds) and fails, then I can't see Nintendo making any more consoles after that. The company may just choose to stick with a more powerful successor to the 3DS. The Wii was a major success at first and stalled at the end of its development cycle. With the Wii U, things started out poorly and there have been peaks and valleys since then. I'm not sure where Nintendo goes from here.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got out of the console wars if their next main console is a bust.

Reactions: Atlas_Hope
I really do not know if it is possible for the WII U to make a comeback but I think that it will do a lot better for the Christmas season seeing that they have released smash brothers. I really think that by them having that game that they may see a slight increase in their sales numbers.

If Nintendo makes another console (excluding handhelds) and fails, then I can't see Nintendo making any more consoles after that. The company may just choose to stick with a more powerful successor to the 3DS. The Wii was a major success at first and stalled at the end of its development cycle. With the Wii U, things started out poorly and there have been peaks and valleys since then. I'm not sure where Nintendo goes from here.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got out of the console wars if their next main console is a bust.

I would hate to have them bow out of the console race. One thing that I think could really work for them, is to release a console/handheld hybrid machine. They have always dominated handhelds, but, aside from the Wii, they have struggled with home consoles for a while. I am hoping that by the time the next generation rolls around, technology will be good enough to where they could release a handheld that is powerful enough to act like a console. The machine would primarily be a handheld, but you hook it up to a docking station and it also can act as your home console. Graphics wouldn't be spectacular, but Nintendo has been okay being a generation behind. The dock would easily allow the handheld to display on the TV and also easily sync 4 controllers up to it.

The only downside is, this wouldn't work for their current DS hardware. It would have to just be something like the GBA. The plus side, is that now all the games that the handheld has are now automatically available on home console. Nintendo wouldn't lose developers due to poor console sales, because their console sales would be their handheld sales. Developers would be able to create a single game, and there would be a pretty big audience of gamers able to play it.

I'm not sure about a comeback but the WII U is definitely striving to keep up with it's current competitors. Then again, unlike with stuff from PS4 and XboxOne, I'm a bit more lenient towards graphics and the like when it comes to Nintendo, which might be the problem for most fans. We get what we ask for.

I hate to see only 2 main competitors in the market. We need the Wii U around. I doubt they can make a comeback and become a major player. But at least they can more popular and get gain some shares in the market. Maybe a price reduction and more hit titles will help.

For the Wii U, a comeback still isn't big in terms of Xbox and Ps4. Nintendo still has a lot of ground to cover to become a solid console competitor. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and will buy the new console no matter what, but I am the kind of consumer Nintendo is relying on: hardcore fans. Unfortunately the numbers are not growing fast enough.

It's going to be interesting to see Nintendo's sales after this year. The amiibo craze is getting out of control with all the "rare" ones. Not only is the new smash selling the Wii U, but the amiibos people are collecting are free money for Nintendo.