The future of gaming

I've heard about the Oculus Rift months ago. They're using parts of the brain and mind to stimulate responses and interaction to the game connected to Oculus.

I don't think it's quite at that level yet. From what i've gathered, it's just a headset with head-tracking and a stereoscopic 3D display, with some add-ons that allow motion-sensing. We're not going to be plugged into the Matrix with this.

Well that's a good way of looking at things. However, why is the real thing not good enough for humans now? That's the real question.
Isn't gaming just escaping from real life for a little while, though? I don't see anything wrong about that, and more immersion in the form of these kind of products is a good thing in my humble opinion. As for my prediction that this will be used to information distribution, well, if you've never had to monitor information flow with terrible tools, let me tell you that it's incredible boring and inefficient. With a model built in virtual reality it would suddenly be both intuitive and fun.

Reactions: jdroc
With this game gears, future gaming is becoming more interesting. We can have more realistic virtual experience when playing games. I am looking forward to have more games equipped with this technology in future.

Isn't gaming just escaping from real life for a little while, though? I don't see anythingg wrong about that, and more immersion in the form of these kind of products is a good thing in my humble opinion. As for my prediction that this will be used to information distribution, well, if you've never had to monitor information flow with terrible tools, let me tell you that it's incredible boring and inefficient. With a model built in virtual reality it would suddenly be both intuitive and fun.

Good rebuttal. I just don't want to see us having intimate moments with 3D girlfriends in the future. LOl. But you're right. When I'm on my laptop, I sometimes daydream of being able to do everything with hand and figure movements. I mean everything. Typing should be easier.

I think future gaming is going to be awesome. As you mentioned, the Oculus Rift is one of the coolest things out there! I am honestly dying to get one but I definitely don't have that kind of money right now but I'll keep dreaming! The fact that we've finally realized "Virtual reality" is genius. I cannot wait until 20 years from now when these headsets are half the price and a common household item like a PS3 or Xbox system!

With this game gears, future gaming is becoming more interesting. We can have more realistic virtual experience when playing games. I am looking forward to have more games equipped with this technology in future.

Same here. It's very exciting. I remember being a kid and dreaming of being able to play VR, and the exciting thing is, it seems like it's only a matter of time before we see it. Gaming has come such a long way already and that is going to continue with Oculus.

Have any of you heard of google's "oculus thrift" aka google cardboard. Its a cardboard dumbed down version of the oculus rift that you put your android phone into and strap to your face. Hopefully if more people try it out they will make a better version that includes more peripherals so it can do more complex things.

Have any of you heard of google's "oculus thrift" aka google cardboard. Its a cardboard dumbed down version of the oculus rift that you put your android phone into and strap to your face. Hopefully if more people try it out they will make a better version that includes more peripherals so it can do more complex things.
nah I haven't heard of it, but come to think of it, I think I seen it on a TV show.

I in my opinion think gaming will become all PC in the next 5-10 years. Pc is just easier to use and it is a lot more competitive.

Good rebuttal. I just don't want to see us having intimate moments with 3D girlfriends in the future. LOl. But you're right. When I'm on my laptop, I sometimes daydream of being able to do everything with hand and figure movements. I mean everything. Typing should be easier.
Haha, I know what you mean. I have some friends that I'm sure would be first in line once you're able to favorably... interact with anime characters. :p But hey, lets try not to judge! I for one really enjoy the clickety-clack of my mechanical keyboard as I type, it's pretty soothing.

I in my opinion think gaming will become all PC in the next 5-10 years. Pc is just easier to use and it is a lot more competitive.

It is difficult to say PC will dominate the gaming platform in future. However, I like playing on PC too. It is so much easier to control and allow us to play game mods.

So, I'm really excited for this in terms of some games- the more immersive experience is definitely the future of certain genres, but there are some that it just isn't suited to as well. I do think as technology likes this gets perfected, it will change how we game for sure. It's exciting :).

This is the next step in gaming, but I don't believe that it will immediately take hold and conquer the gaming industry once it is released. It offers a more immersive type of gameplay, but it seems much more complex compared to today's PC and console games. People will adjust eventually, but it might take a bit of time.

Those glasses look cool, but we need to consider is the availability factor. Not everyone will be able to buy one. In order for any piece of technology to take off in sales, it has to target for those that can afford it. There will be availability issue and monetary issues.

Flat panel TVs are getting cheaper and I don't think we will stray too far away from video gaming consoles.

I don't think it will change gaming to be honest. Personally I think people will always prefer to use controllers because it's much easier to just press buttons than to move your head and arms around. Though, I think Occulus will be a good addition and it probably will provide for a bigger contribution outside gaming.

I think the future of gaming lies in virtual reality. We are already seeing the rise of this style of gaming with the Oculus Rift, and although it might seem like a fairly expensive console to buy at this moment as it gains more prominence among gamers in the future, the price will automatically decrease.