The future of gaming

Gravis

Registered
Nov 5, 2014
oculusrift1.jpg

Oculus Rift

Oculus VR® is a technology company revolutionizing the way people experience video games. Or at least that's what the main page of Oculus says. What do you think, will it become common practice to own this headset in the future? If there are people who still haven't seen what does it do, just google it or look up some videos on youtube. It's possible to buy this, but there aren't a lot of games, especially quality games on it yet. So what are your thoughts on the future of gaming?

I've heard about the Oculus Rift months ago. They're using parts of the brain and mind to stimulate responses and interaction to the game connected to Oculus. I was thinking it may be possible for the future of gaming to be like the anime called Sword Art online, where people wore devices similar to this one that allowed them to operate in a different reality/ realm, and actually interact with one another. I've watched the videos though, and it didn't seem like they've made that many advancements yet in terms of how to create movements and such, but they've already got the important part down. It might take years though for this though to produce something more significant and practical in the gaming industry.

Well I do think that Oculus are making huge progress. With Facebook taking them over things might have changed for either the better or the worse. The good thing is that developing wise, the process goes a lot faster. They have more money and staff to invest on production. The bad thing is that Facebook has changed the vision of the company. Oculus Rift was meant to be a gaming device. Facebook thinks that the communicative features it offers deserve most attention.

now that facebook has its talons in this, you just know its gonna be annoying popups and inviting people to play some crappy farmville clone.....BUT IN 3D!

I don't know that being associated with FB would inherently make it a FB-like device. Just as some movie producers don't put their methods all over movies except for just throw money at it, I think FB is capable of letting designers do what they want, but they have the distribution/publication rights.

I'm interested to try it out, personally. I think virtual reality could very well be the next step for gaming, but it's something they have to tread lightly with to make sure it doesn't fold quickly from simple faults.

I'm still not sold on this whole VR ideal. Oculus may be the major player in it. But the way I see it, it'll be a major player in a small market. At the consumer end, they've already stated the Oculus Rift for consumers would be around the $200 range. I can't see many people buying a game system or phone that's already $400 plus, then putting an extra $200 on VR tech that probably won't get much support when all is said and done.

Of course, I could be wrong. But right now, I can't say I have faith in VR.

I would give it a go if it is working well and can, play games you enjoy and would be interesting to play along party members and fight enemies. I wander how many consumers will buy it and is it worth the costs involved in buying it and, is it going to be easy to use or take time to get used to it. I think it will be used in the future and improve the gaming world and, do well for the gamers who buy it and can choose the games they want to play using the Virtual reality headset. I hope the designers look at the flaws, and make sure they are fixed otherwise you could have someone stuck in the virtual world and think it is the real one and will be hard to convince the person to come out of it.

This looks so amazing and I would be thrilled to give it a shot. But it will probably either not be as good as we think it is, and I don't want to get sick from playing with that. What's the price for one of these things? It's ridiculous, isn't it? Still want it, tho.

Do you think it will become common practice in our lives? Well, either I'm naive or really excited, but VR will most likely help us game in a more immersive way. Can't lie, it has a huge potential.

Can't see it happening. The convenience of sitting behind a screen that you're familiar with is playing its major role. While I would love to ride a roller coaster wearing this headset, I'd rather choose typical gaming. ;)

The convenience of sitting behind a device that you know how to use is far better, than new technologies. That's what you're implying, right? Well, people 20 years ago said that personal computers will absolutely NOT be a thing in our homes, and what do we have? :)

This is different! Plus, VR get some people sick, so already a vast majority of people are being left out.

The VR headset will add a more immersive experience in the game but I'll have to try it out before I buy it. I will really be surprised when a technology comes out that actually beams you into the game. With that you can walk around like it is real life. Maybe that is too far fetched because that might require some huge machine that hooks up to your brain.

oculus is sickk! I had the chance to test it a mall and the experience is amazing! will buy it when I get extra money.
This one cracked me up. xD

LOL'd at the video! :D I should move to bigger town, such testings are nowhere to be seen around me.. I wonder if the VR would deliver the same kind of emotions with no headphones?

The Oculus Rift is really cool and has some enormous potential, but I don't think it will be standard video game hardware for at least a decade or so. Radical new technology like this always has a bunch of kinks that need ironing out. There's really no way to catch each and every issue on release, so a public release will be little better than a beta version.

I laughed for a good 5 minutes at that video. Talk about immersion... :D

Honestly, Oculus Rift-type technology is the future of not only gaming, but information flow representation in general. Imagine being able to enter 4D world in a bank and administrate money flow by just touching a river of money in "game". There's not really a difference between a gaming world and making models, so gaming technology will more than likely be incorporated into model-making and embraced by the IT community soon.

I laughed for a good 5 minutes at that video. Talk about immersion... :D

Honestly, Oculus Rift-type technology is the future of not only gaming, but information flow representation in general. Imagine being able to enter 4D world in a bank and administrate money flow by just touching a river of money in "game". There's not really a difference between a gaming world and making models, so gaming technology will more than likely be incorporated into model-making and embraced by the IT community soon.

Well that's a good way of looking at things. However, why is the real thing not good enough for humans now? That's the real question.

A funny but related, people should watch how silly virtual reality games get with the Occulus:

I think the super future of gaming, is life itself - not that one is not mortal and things not tangible, it's more like one's perception may be entirely programmed and one may not even know it; it's much like Matrix, Avatar, Vanilla Sky, or Surrogates but truly happening... like now.