The "Fake Gamer Girl" idea needs to die now, please

GamerMonkey

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
Warning: rant ahead.

If I see one more person complaining about "Fake Gamer Girls" who are only pretending to like games to try and win themselves a gaming boyfriend, I am probably going to start lobbing bricks.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!

Anybody who thinks most girls are pretending to like games to impress the boys needs to grow up. Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are some out there, just like there are girls who walk around in high heals and short skirts because they think they have to in order to win men's hearts. Most of us just really like games.

Apparently I'm a fake gamer girl because I've never played Call of Duty. Yeah, well, I didn't like Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 on N64, or Goldeneye, so I'm fairly certain CoD has nothing to offer me.

Oh, and because I'm fairly useless at many games, that makes me a fake as well. Never mind that I found all 96 exists on Super Mario World and my best Tetris score on the original Gameboy version is 177, I have to crank the difficulty down every time I hit the planes of Oblivion so that makes me a fake.

I get it. All the scary girls with their girl cooties are coming for your games and it's like, totally unfair. I mean, look at these girls who earn money streaming live because they have bewbs when teh menz (who are actually really good at the games) don't get any people watching them.

Grow up. The future's coming people and it's doing so because the vast majority of people who play games aren't guys like you.

*runs off into the sunset lobbing bricks*

Reactions: YunaKazama26
I think you have bought into a few misconceptions. Allow me to elaborate :

1. Guys don't think most girls pretend to like video games in an attempt to get a boyfriend. As you stated, we do occasionally run into the girl who pretends to like cod or wow to impress guys, but is typically not the case. I would even go as far to say most guys sling that "you don't like video games, your just trying to attract men" insult when they get rejected in online video games. Either way, quite a sad world we live in.

2. A fake gamer girl can be awesome at cod, but if she plays to tease/attract men, at least in my book, shes a fake gamer girl. The reason being is she isn't there for the game, no matter how good she is.

Really what it sounds like, is that you have spent a little too much time with the toxic xbox/ps community. I recommend a free online game called tera. It's an mmorpg, and has one of the most friendly communities I have ever seen. If you perfer fps, then I recommend entropia universe. Also extremely friendly people. You dont need a super computer to play either as well.

Reactions: Goldie and g2narat
The only "Fake Gamer Girl" stereotype I've ever heard is that they're all male... which is certainly true, in a lot of cases. I've never heard anyone say that girls pretend to be gamers to score gamer boyfriends, that sounds a bit ridiculous.

The part about streaming their boobs is true though, I'd wager that girls wearing low-cut tops boosts their viewership by a substantial amount.

It's sad that girls have to use low cut tops to get people to watch them. I wish we lived in a world where everyone was treated equally and people were considerate in general. We can only hope some day, that it will happen.

Man... I feel so left out of this whole movement. I don't know what's wrong with me? I'm a chick, I sound like a chick, I look like a chick, but I never get any hate for being a gamer. I don't get sexually harassed when I use my mic, and I never get accused of being a fake gamer girl for attention.

Man... I feel so left out of this whole movement. I don't know what's wrong with me? I'm a chick, I sound like a chick, I look like a chick, but I never get any hate for being a gamer. I don't get sexually harassed when I use my mic, and I never get accused of being a fake gamer girl for attention.
Haha, isn't that a good thing? What games do you usually play, though? It's much worse if you play something like CoD on Xbox compared to a hanging out with more mature gamers.

I am pretty sure with all the stuff that is going down the fake gamer girls are of no more. If you don't know what I am talking about I am talking about Gamergate. I do believe after it is over there will be no more gamer girls.

I am pretty sure with all the stuff that is going down the fake gamer girls are of no more. If you don't know what I am talking about I am talking about Gamergate. I do believe after it is over there will be no more gamer girls.
What does that have to do with fake gamer girls? That makes zero sense... Gamergate is about fighting misogyny in gaming (which is a huge problem), not about fake gamer girls..?

What does that have to do with fake gamer girls? That makes zero sense... Gamergate is about fighting misogyny in gaming (which is a huge problem), not about fake gamer girls..?
All I am saying is that the so called "gamer girls" will not play video games cause they agree with the feminists. At least I think they do.

Haha, isn't that a good thing? What games do you usually play, though? It's much worse if you play something like CoD on Xbox compared to a hanging out with more mature gamers.
I do play CoD on 360! I use my mic, and I never get anything bad. People acknowledge that I'm a female, but I never get crap for it. And yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm glad I don't get harassed or stereotyped.

All I am saying is that the so called "gamer girls" will not play video games cause they agree with the feminists. At least I think they do.

I don't really understand what points you're trying to make. Are you saying the fake-gamer girls (who pretend they like videogames for attention) will go away because of Gamergate? Or that girls who are feminists will stop playing games?

Yeah, it's a dumb stereotype created by insecure men who are convinced that women are not capable of having hobbies and that they are just trying to seduce men. Ew. Hopefully, it'll die out, with all the activism going on to fight against that stereotype. However, I am staying away from the whole GamerGate controversy. I don't agree that the women who were harassed deserved that, obviously. However, after hearing (and witnessing) negative things about what some of the feminists have done in order to gain support, it's really just disappointing to hear about all the lying and hatred that is still occurring.

I'd definitely say that women get criticized more when it comes to gaming, though. No one deserves to get harassed because of their gender. Also, be aware that just because, even if you are a women, that if you're not being harassed, that doesn't mean that women aren't being harassed on the Internet. There's evidence of it everywhere...look at the YouTube comments!

Why are you griping and complaining like a little person, Gamermonkey?! If a woman or girl wants to waste their life doing whatever thing you dislike, then that is their choice and have every right to do so! It's no different than you having the right to believe and do whatever you want to do, beside harming, injuring, or wronging another human.

I don't really understand what points you're trying to make. Are you saying the fake-gamer girls (who pretend they like videogames for attention) will go away because of Gamergate? Or that girls who are feminists will stop playing games?
Well most of those "gamer girls" I have met seem to agree whole heartedly with the Feminsts. So I think they will stop playing games or at least saying they are gamergirls once GG is done. Which will take a long time.

Why are you griping and complaining like a little person, Gamermonkey?! If a woman or girl wants to waste their life doing whatever thing you dislike, then that is their choice and have every right to do so! It's no different than you having the right to believe and do whatever you want to do, beside harming, injuring, or wronging another human.
She's probably complaining about their behaviour because she thinks it reflects badly on people like herself, so it affects her negatively. Not a very hard conclusion to come to, especially since he stated it in her post.

It's funny that you're talking about rights. Of course these girls have the right to do what they want, just as OP has the right to criticize their behaviour. The funny part is that you're doing exactly what you're accusing her of doing, which is hilariously hypocritical. Are you also griping and complaining like a little person then? (Hint: Yes, yes you are.)

Reactions: GamerMonkey
I do play CoD on 360! I use my mic, and I never get anything bad. People acknowledge that I'm a female, but I never get crap for it. And yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm glad I don't get harassed or stereotyped.
That's great, I'm glad for you. :)

I have never been harassed playing a game as a girl. It might be that I don't have a mic, and I tend to stay away from shooting games, not because I'm a girl but because I really suck at shooting games.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I've been gaming for years, and have rarely gotten grief of any kind for being of the feminine persuasion.

I think the main thing that people don't appreciate are girls dressing scantily on streaming sites like Twitch, with their portrait taking up half the screen and blocking the actual gameplay. Furthermore they aren't even paying attention towards playing the game well, rather flirting with subscribers and posting their wishlists, asking for donations. Where does gaming even come into all this?

I think around where I live, the gamer girl is the only stereotype that isn't played straight in real life. I love games and I'm a girl. I don't know if I would call myself a gamer girl, since I'm just a casual gamer. Most of the competitive gaming market right now is shoot 'em up and zombie survival so I haven't really been following the more popular tournament games. The few times I've ever done co-op gaming by mic, I've never had any issue with my gender either. I don't know about the more common games, but I'm pretty sure the stereotype in indie-games is either dying or already died out.