Super Metroid

Skuttie

Registered
Nov 15, 2014
Still the best Metroid, or modern 2D castlevania, to come out.

Still praised, still play it! Tho I can't play it anymore without speedrunning strats in mind.

Also one of the best game soundtracks period.

So what's your favorite Metroid, and why is it Super?

Super Metroid is of course great. But I really like the smooth play control of Zero Mission and Fusion. The animations are great and merges perfectly with the gameplay. Also, if you can, play Fusion with headphones on as it makes a huge difference in sound quality. The SA-X will even freak you out.

My favourite Metroid game is also the SNES' Super Metroid! I bought Super Metroid shortly after it was initially released--the first game that I actually saved up for and bought with my own money rather than receiving it as a birthday or Christmas gift--and it felt very much like the previous games upgraded and expanded for the more advanced console. Beyond merely a massive upgrade in graphics and sound: each area in this 16 bit iteration of the Planet Zebes (and the space lab during the introduction) had a unique, specific character of its own, Samus' arsenal was greatly expanded with new items and abilities, the bosses had the gargantuan gravitas worthy of true bosses as opposed to just being new enemies, and the overall Metroid mythos felt expanded with a deeper history for Zebes and Samus and a deeper story regarding the relationship between Samus, the last true Metroid, and Mother Brain's pirates. :cool:

Super Metroid is in fact my favourite SNES game, after Square's Chrono Trigger. I have fond nostalgic memories of a youth arguably misspent exploring the 16 bit iteration of the Planet Zebes, uncovering each-and-every one of its secrets! That game holds a special place in my heart! ;)

However, since the original poster is lumping in the Castlevania series with the Metroid series: I must admit that I consider Symphony of the Night to be an even greater game than even Super Metroid! (I'll save elaborating upon why I love Symphony of the Night so very much for that game's own specific thread.) :eek: