Street Fighter 4 (and SF4 arcade stick)

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
Well, my 360 is still in the shop...but I went out and bought SF4 and the arcade stick as soon as I could.

I can't comment on SF4, but the arcade stick is absolutely excellent. I bought the cheaper version, but it's still noticably better than the HRAP or Hori EX2 sticks (those DOA4/VF5/SC4 sticks).

The game is fantastic. The XB controller gets on my nerves at times, it just can't cut it. I'd like to get the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition, but I don't know if I could really spend $150 on a controller. I do have to get some kind of arcade stick though, the Hori EX2 button layout is kinda strange so maybe I'll try the non-TE Mad Catz FightStick.

By the way, if anybody here has SF4, I'd love to fight you, my gamertag is TheMaverick37.

What's wrong with the EX2 button layout? It's the standard for 6 button fighters. The only problem is that it only has three columns rather than four, keeping you from having all five fingers comfortably on a button. But still, the EX2 is of decent quality, comes at a low(er) price ($60 at Amazon) and gets the job done. The stick does completely break off the control constraints that the crappy 360 pad gives you.

You're really unlikely to get your hands on a SF4 stick right now, though. The best thing around that you could buy without issue right now is the expensive-but-worth-the-money Hori: Real Arcade Pro EX, which you can get at Play-Asia. You can also be a serious badass and get a total custom one from one of the various dealers online.

Last edited:
So you guys might be bitching about how it is hard to find a SF4 stick, but I would like to point out that it is pretty easy to find a stick for pretty much anything else that isn't SF4. Soul Caliber, Virtua Fighter 4, that kind of thing. Just wanted to point out that other games make pretty solid sticks, if not cheaper and better.

Also, playing Street Fighter again with friends tonight for a couple of hours and just wanted to point out how impressed I was with the fact that this long after it came out I am still finding a layer of depth to the game. Only played a couple of games that could do that for me.