Steam Machines

Squigly

Undead Gamer
Registered
Nov 10, 2014
http://store.steampowered.com/universe

What do you think of Steam's latest venture in hardware, with Steam Machines, Steam Controllers and VR Headsets?

Personally I find the pricing to be quite off-putting, it's more expensive than consoles but entry-level hardware specs are below that of gaming PCs.

I am hyped for Steam Link and the Steam Controller though. They're much more reasonably priced at 49.99 each and would make playing games on my TV much easier.

I think they look cool, the cost is okay and overall they seem like great products. I'm kind of not sure what these are for though.

Wasn't the point suppose to be simplicity? That any random consumer could walk into a store, buy a Steam machine, plug it in and just be good to go? This is too complicated for the average Joe. There isn't an easy way for someone to know how well any given machine will play what games...

I agree, if they want to get a market share then they should find a way to beat the price of consoles. I am very curious about their controllers, though. When I first saw it I honestly didn't think it could work but now that I have had time to think about it I guess they wouldn't be doing it this way if they didn't honestly believe it would be a good idea to revolutionize controllers again so I'm very excited to see how well it actually performs.

A lot of it just has to do with your own tech ability. If you know how to do stuff yourself, then this is just overpriced garbage, but a lot of people need that kinda hand-holding. It will be interesting to see if they can get the price down to where they are competitive.

I like it a lot. I'm a big fan of the Steam platform. I'd really love to see Steam stop being just a gaming application and actually start being a legitimate platform.

I kind of feel like OP, the machines feel a little bit too overpriced, and steam link/steam controller seem to be really awesome. But I also think that probably the prices will go down after a little while, so only time will tell :)

A lot of it just has to do with your own tech ability. If you know how to do stuff yourself, then this is just overpriced garbage, but a lot of people need that kinda hand-holding. It will be interesting to see if they can get the price down to where they are competitive.
It's also for convenience as well, since they'll all be integrated with Steam. The Steam Link will automatically sync and stream any PC logged onto Steam with the TV, so there's no need to set up anything. I'd be willing to shell out the extra 10 dollars for a Steam Link just for that.

I think it can be hard if, you are not good at computers or the tech stuff and some terms may be hard unless you know someone who can help you out or understand the words. Some of the things on the steam could be improved, so people can find it easy to use the site and also enjoy it too. I think it is worth the money, if it is, going to be worth the value and also should work well for the PC otherwise people will not join it.

I'm not really impressed, but that's mainly because I've learned to basically hate Steam. I think the idea is great - brilliant even. But Steam has always given me problems. Half the time when I load it up there's something wrong with it and I have to uninstall and re-install. Granted this is about once every 6 months, but still. And the payment processing is awful since I'm living abroad right now. They see my IP overseas and that I'm trying to pay with a US account and blah blah, it's a big ordeal. So although I think the Steam machine is possibly a cool idea, I just don't trust it to work well....

I really hope they become accessible and relatively affordable. I'm a mac-user and console gamer and am typically restricted to admiring PC gaming through YouTube videos and reviews.

It looks nice, for sure. But I don't see what it brings to the table over the usual consoles/PC that we have now. It just seems like a more targeted Console using the steam platform as opposed to using physical copies of games to play.

I suppose like with the Ouya this is just somethin to wait and see how it goes.