Steam Community and Free Games

gillman

PC Editor
Staff member
Jul 19, 2005
Probably at Work
www.varms.net
So on the off chance that any of you in the forums didn't know, we have a Steam group. You should join. Not only because it is a great way to annoy me pretty much no-stop throughout the day, but also because I get free games to give away to our loyal fans. If you are at all interested in this just look up Mygamer.com as a Steam group and join. I am more than happy to give you guys free presents, randomly.

Also we can play games together, but probably more for the free stuff.

If you follow us on Twitter, we sometimes give away games on social media. If you look back at our Twitter feed, it is possible that maybe a couple of our promo codes are still valid... :)

Still doing this? Great idea, Steam communites are a great way to connect gamers!

I expected this to have a lot more members in. I have joined the group and posted a comment in it. What games do you guys play? But seriously, I expected it to have more members. There are only five members right now.

Spuds (former editor) would be hard pressed to be pulled away from anything but DoTA. He went to Korea to... Teach? It turns out that every corner there is an internet cafe, and while we think they are all playing StarCraft they are playing LoL. He kind of went a little nuts for MoBAs after that, so... you know... he is dead to us now. I think he logs about 12 hour days.

I am a huge Company of Heroes fan and am always looking for people to play. But I am always up for suggestions.

Well I do have Company of Heroes 1 and 2 but I am not so good at them. You guys really hate MOBAs, huh?

I would never call myself "good" at any RTS. I just really really enjoy them. I don't think that any of us hate MoBAs at all. Personally I think they are super interesting and support the International (through the compendium) every year. I am awful at them, Spuds (no longer works here, but is still part of the Steam group) loves them.

Pretty sure new guy reviewer enjoys them, but he is more LoL and we are more DoTA.

Cool a steam group. I am going to join. The only games I play on steam though is TF2 and Portal 2. Those are only ones that are fun imo. All though I should try others but don't know what.

Cool a steam group. I am going to join. The only games I play on steam though is TF2 and Portal 2. Those are only ones that are fun imo. All though I should try others but don't know what.

Well, there are many good games on Steam, especially since there are sales almost 4-5 times a year. For example, you can get Skyrim, which is a personal favorite of mine, for 5 dollars. That is totally worth it, in my opinion. I clocked over 500 hours on that game, and got all the achievements for it, and discovered everything in the game. So that's my recommendation to you.

Well, there are many good games on Steam, especially since there are sales almost 4-5 times a year. For example, you can get Skyrim, which is a personal favorite of mine, for 5 dollars. That is totally worth it, in my opinion. I clocked over 500 hours on that game, and got all the achievements for it, and discovered everything in the game. So that's my recommendation to you.

Well, that is only if you enjoy RPG kind of games. I didn't enjoy Skyrim at all. It was way too dull for me. If you are into shooters however the new CoD is a great game to play. And DoTa 2 is great as well!

Well, that is only if you enjoy RPG kind of games. I didn't enjoy Skyrim at all. It was way too dull for me. If you are into shooters however the new CoD is a great game to play. And DoTa 2 is great as well!

I think I could name a game of any genre that I think is good. There are many other games on Steam that I like and play a lot, Skyrim is just the one I have the most hours on, second being Team Fortress 2, but I don't play that anymore. Some other good games are: Company of Heroes, Witcher 2, Dota 2 like you said, DayZ, CS: GO, Payday, Civilization IV and V, The Walking Dead, Trine 2 (if you like puzzle platformers, this one is so good, even the first one), and of course, Saints Row. Just some that I could think of right now.

DayZ terrifies me. I know for a fact it is one of those things that I will get into and wake up three months later, job less, alone, and in an internet cafe playing it.

I am really hoping it goes on sale a ton on the next Steam sale so I can start the downward cycle.

I can't stress enough how much I liked DayZ back when it was a mod. IT felt a lot more special and dying felt so much more important. It was a game where I would almost always have a story to tell about my previous session, like finnaly finding a car or fixing one, or killing a few bandits at the same time, or saving someone, these kinds of stories. Once my friend was attacked in the supermarket by two or three bandits, I managed to kill the bandit who injured him (he was laying down), and the rest of the bandits that stormed us, somehow.

I can't stress enough how much I liked DayZ back when it was a mod. IT felt a lot more special and dying felt so much more important. It was a game where I would almost always have a story to tell about my previous session, like finnaly finding a car or fixing one, or killing a few bandits at the same time, or saving someone, these kinds of stories. Once my friend was attacked in the supermarket by two or three bandits, I managed to kill the bandit who injured him (he was laying down), and the rest of the bandits that stormed us, somehow.
I have seen a lot of Day Z videos and it does look fun if you have friends to play with. I have also heard that Gmod is a barrel of laughs, with all its game modes and such. Whats your opinion on it?

I have seen a lot of Day Z videos and it does look fun if you have friends to play with. I have also heard that Gmod is a barrel of laughs, with all its game modes and such. Whats your opinion on it?

On GMod? GMod is like an universal collection of different games fitted in one game. There are tons of different playable game-modes, some are good and some are not. It all depends what you like. There are very good game-modes, like Trouble in Terrorist Town. I'm sure you have heard of it. Basically, one player is a traitor to the terrorists, and others are innocent. When the game chooses a traitor, it chooses a detective as well, who tries to uncover who the traitor is. If you are a traitor, nobody will know unless you show it by killing someone. You leave clues, however, when you kill someone, like what weapon you've used or who the victim saw last. Other than that game-mode there are many other game-modes, but I haven't played many. There is a one I played a lot, but I forgot it's name. It's basically a life simulator. Each player has their own room in the hotel, and you can make parties in this room and even watch TV. Watching TV was my favorite. I'd invite my buddy in the room and we'd watch youtube videos or even movies like the Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's a good game and you can get it really cheap at a Steam sale. It's a must-have.

On GMod? GMod is like an universal collection of different games fitted in one game. There are tons of different playable game-modes, some are good and some are not. It all depends what you like. There are very good game-modes, like Trouble in Terrorist Town. I'm sure you have heard of it. Basically, one player is a traitor to the terrorists, and others are innocent. When the game chooses a traitor, it chooses a detective as well, who tries to uncover who the traitor is. If you are a traitor, nobody will know unless you show it by killing someone. You leave clues, however, when you kill someone, like what weapon you've used or who the victim saw last. Other than that game-mode there are many other game-modes, but I haven't played many. There is a one I played a lot, but I forgot it's name. It's basically a life simulator. Each player has their own room in the hotel, and you can make parties in this room and even watch TV. Watching TV was my favorite. I'd invite my buddy in the room and we'd watch youtube videos or even movies like the Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's a good game and you can get it really cheap at a Steam sale. It's a must-have.
Thanks for that info. Next time I see it on sale I might go ahead and buy it. Unless one of my favorite games comes out by that time I will have to put it off. :)

I remember it usually being around two dollars on a sale, so be sure to get it if you think you may like it. Check some game-play videos of a few game-modes, and see if there's anything that you like. I'm sure there's something for everyone. Oh, and yeah, that hotel-room game-mode has mini-games that you can play and earn coins, and buy items for your house with your coins. Mini-games like zombie-survival, mini-golf and such. It's great.