Steam Auctions

Squigly

Undead Gamer
Registered
Nov 10, 2014
It's kinda buggy atm, but I guess it's a pretty cool concept.

http://steamcommunity.com/auction

Personally I wouldn't be inclined to spend money on gems, since I might not even get the game I bid for. It would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy the game during the Winter Sale coming in a week's time.

Thoughts?

Like most of the things on Steam, this is something that they will profit from and most of the players will lose more than they gain.

As you said, it's probably cheaper to buy it during the sale rather than spending money on gems, but some people enjoy auctions so they're the ones that'll do it.

I'm guessing the price of Steam cards and items might go up a little bit because of this, so it might be a good time to sell your old unneeded items!

The auctions end in a few days I wouldn't be surprised if the lowest bids for games were over the retail price, gem wise.

(takes about 70 cents to make 1000 gems, divide game bids by 1000 then that by .7)

Best to just wait for the sale.

Or turn your gems into boosters and sell those.

I actually don't buy games on steam, I only play DotA there but I do buy Items and things for the game itself. I am not sure I would take part in a Auction unless it was an Auction that had DotA items, and then if it did it would have to be game items not hero items like loading screens, or taunts, or the announcers things like that.

Yeah, this doesn´t seem like such a good deal, and as others have said elsewhere, it seems like the entire system is a trick to get math-challenged or OCD bidders to pay more for a game they can get cheaper somewhere else.

You're not paying anything in realbux and don't have to tho, it's mostly a way to clean out the community market of bunk items from f2p games/valve sales.

Still, best to just wait for the sale.

I like how I read their latest announcements for the Steam Auctions..which is...
"Everyone who traded items away in exchange for gems will find a copy of Counter Strike : Global Offensive in their inventories" I just loved that line...and here I am, just having bought CS:GO a few months ago, for like full price...and now they get it for free.

From what I saw, even if I sold everything in my Inventory I'd, at best, be able to "bid" for some crappy DLC. I've only got some cards and one or two games from bundles that are worth a pile of brown goo, or even less. So, why bother?

Plus, I'm thinking that after everyone converts his cards and whatnot to gems to some stuff from the auction, stuff that, in my case, would simply suck, the cards I've already got will get a raise in price, so I'll be able to get $1 more to get rid of them :p

I saw this as an attempt for them to jack the price of cards and shit on the market. They were producing infinite supply of them, and a ton of them were being sold instead of used to make badges. This way they know that a certain amount will just be destroyed, making them rarer and worth more.

It's an interesting concept, but there's not much to see here. Seems more like a profitable gimmick than anything else, and that's probably the biggest reason you should avoid the auctions and just opt for buying your games. It's as simple as that with this one, I think.

I agree, I'm not even really sure how the auction works, but I am paying close attention to it. I'm definitely waiting for the Christmas-New Year's sale that Steam has ever year. You're almost guaranteed to find a good game for a huge discount.

I would use the auction for sure but I kind of care about badges, and I really don't know what to sell. :(

Saw it, Checked it out and didn't really bother to learn more about it after skimming over a few things. Like many others have said, Get it during the Winter Sale. Probably would be much better off in the end.

Sorries but, now that it's over, what's the point of "crushing" your cards to get gems to create "booster packs" that... Er... Don't "booster packs" actually give you drops of three cards? So, as it is now, they suggest you destroy 10, 20, maybe even 50 of the items you've got on your inventory, to get 500 - 1000 gems to "invest" in a "booster pack" that will give you... what, three cards?

Isn't that like saying "pay us 50 bucks to give you 3 whole bucks back"?! Or have I missed something?