Sports Games?

I love to play Madden, but my heart is with NBA 2K and MLB The Show. I've always been a huge fan of Basketball since I was born, and coming from a Puerto Rican background, Baseball is our #1 sport.

I am an avid sports player so I enjoy nearly all sports games. I think to pick a favourite you have two different categories, the one that is most playable with friends and family, and then there is most authentic for those who are very verse in the sport.

To narrow it down I'd have to say the most addicting for me is FIFA, and right behind that is NBA 2K. I enjoy both of them because they allow my less sport savvy friends to get a basic understanding and play along with me. In terms of capturing the authentic gaming experience though I think that Topspin Tennis games are so far ahead of the field. Topspin manages to simulate the stoke style of tennis players by making you time your swings with the analog sticks, they do the same for serves, volleys and every other aspect of tennis. The only problem with this super realistic style of play is that only die hard fans can really appreciate it, it's not really compatible with the casual sports gamer fan, or even a sports gamer who doesn't enjoy tennis.

Reactions: dillinger10
I am an avid sports player so I enjoy nearly all sports games. I think to pick a favourite you have two different categories, the one that is most playable with friends and family, and then there is most authentic for those who are very verse in the sport.

To narrow it down I'd have to say the most addicting for me is FIFA, and right behind that is NBA 2K. I enjoy both of them because they allow my less sport savvy friends to get a basic understanding and play along with me. In terms of capturing the authentic gaming experience though I think that Topspin Tennis games are so far ahead of the field. Topspin manages to simulate the stoke style of tennis players by making you time your swings with the analog sticks, they do the same for serves, volleys and every other aspect of tennis. The only problem with this super realistic style of play is that only die hard fans can really appreciate it, it's not really compatible with the casual sports gamer fan, or even a sports gamer who doesn't enjoy tennis.

I really like the addition of Ultimate Team in FIFA. This has taken the game to a whole new level of addiction for me. I am really looking forward to this years MLB: The Show. The trailer looks beautiful and the idea of legends being included in the game is a nice touch. The end of the month can't come quick enough!

I love playing sports games but they really need to figure out a way where the game does not become obsolete & worth five bucks after a year. They should look into making it something that can stand the test of time.

I love playing sports games but they really need to figure out a way where the game does not become obsolete & worth five bucks after a year. They should look into making it something that can stand the test of time.
Unfortunately, sports games do lose their value very quickly simply because they are released on a yearly basis. I must confess that I will generally buy each new release every year so that I can have access to the latest rosters, which is a large part of the enjoyment of the games for me.

Well its good to hear that the fight night series might be making a comeback, fingers crossed for that then.
As for making sports game that can stand the test of time, I think that's where the career mode on a lot of these games needs to be worked on, it always feels like a bit of an afterthought.
Taking FIFA as an example, there's a lot of work gone into the ultimate team and the seasons mode and match day challenges. Play in career mode as a manager and it quickly becomes a bit stale, the same things over and over again. Even the 'be a player' mode loses its appeal after awhile, simply because there doesn't seem to be enough thought put into it.

Well its good to hear that the fight night series might be making a comeback, fingers crossed for that then.
As for making sports game that can stand the test of time, I think that's where the career mode on a lot of these games needs to be worked on, it always feels like a bit of an afterthought.
Taking FIFA as an example, there's a lot of work gone into the ultimate team and the seasons mode and match day challenges. Play in career mode as a manager and it quickly becomes a bit stale, the same things over and over again. Even the 'be a player' mode loses its appeal after awhile, simply because there doesn't seem to be enough thought put into it.
I am hoping that the somewhat poor reviews of EA Sports UFC will help convince EA to push up the time frame of developing a new Fight Night. I understand why EA have turned their attentions towards MMA games, especially with its meteoric rise in popularity but to think there are no boxing games currently in development for next gen consoles doesn't seem right to me.

I am hoping that the somewhat poor reviews of EA Sports UFC will help convince EA to push up the time frame of developing a new Fight Night. I understand why EA have turned their attentions towards MMA games, especially with its meteoric rise in popularity but to think there are no boxing games currently in development for next gen consoles doesn't seem right to me.
Having been unfortunate enough to have played UFC on the ps4, I can see why the game as such poor reviews.
The control system is for one, far too complicated for a sports game, graphically it doesn't look much better than most ps3 games, and the whole game just feels rushed in my opinion.
The only thing to say positive, is that it feels very smooth and polished, with the cut scenes and menu's etc, but that's where EA sports titles tend to shine.
Its certainly not a game I enjoyed playing and although UFC and MMA are on the rise, I feel this type of game doest work well on a console.

It really does seem as though EA dropped the ball when it came to their UFC game. It's a real shame that they took over the license from THQ as I was a big fan of the Undisputed series. I really enjoyed these games and yet somehow EA managed to strip all the fun out of the game.

I do find that a lot with EA sports games, it seems all about the presentation and the actual game itself ends up suffering a bit.
So when they say 'its in the game'...at the start of every title, this maybe a little misleading?

I guess a large part comes down to the development team working on the game as FIFA, for me, is always a must buy each year and I have never once yet been disappointed, Fight Night was also a big success for me, however, Madden seems to be hit and miss from year to year while the NBA Live series was a huge disaster for my money.

FIFA is a must buy for me aswell, in fact its the only series I've actually continued to buy and stuck with.
A lot of developers seem to run out of ideas and start adding bits to the games that aren't needed just to make it different from the previous version.

I play the EA NHL series. The game play is the best in my opinion out of all sports games on the market. It is fresh and it helps to be a fan of the sport eh.

I play the EA NHL series. The game play is the best in my opinion out of all sports games on the market. It is fresh and it helps to be a fan of the sport eh.
Did you buy NHL 15 this year? If so, do you think the poor reviews were warranted?

Being from the UK, I'm not really a big enough fan ofthe NHL to have bought any of the games. I've watched a few games on the TV, usually some Stanley cup stuff but I certainly wouldn't say I'm a fan of the sport.
And, with sports games I think that will always be the issue. One sports series of games might be the best game ever made but unless you have an actual interest in the sport then your not going to like it, or even buy it in the first place for that matter.