Speed Runs

applemusician

Registered
May 5, 2015
Do any of you like to watch speed runner streams or videos? I've always admired the dedication these guys have to their favorite games, and the mastery they display is really inspiring. I know a few people who slightly resent them because they feel that speed running a game detracts from its enjoyment and essentially ignores a lot of the work developers put into creating the game.

What happened to sitting down and really enjoying a game? I like to take my time, enjoy the world and atmosphere, and prolong the experience as long as possible. I hate when games end.

Games like Skyrim make this easy, and they're really great to play through again because the story can be changed quite a bit. But games like Dragon Age where there's not much wiggle room are a bit hard to play again. I'd rather play it for many many hours and really enjoy the whole thing than rush my way through it to "clock" it.

Seriously don't see the point in clocking games. Playing a game, in my opinion, is about the experience. How much of the experience will you come away with if you do it in a day versus thirty days?

Yes! I love watching speedrun streams and whatnot!

What happened to sitting down and really enjoying a game? I like to take my time, enjoy the world and atmosphere, and prolong the experience as long as possible. I hate when games end.

Games like Skyrim make this easy, and they're really great to play through again because the story can be changed quite a bit. But games like Dragon Age where there's not much wiggle room are a bit hard to play again. I'd rather play it for many many hours and really enjoy the whole thing than rush my way through it to "clock" it.

Seriously don't see the point in clocking games. Playing a game, in my opinion, is about the experience. How much of the experience will you come away with if you do it in a day versus thirty days?

It's not about sitting down and really enjoying a game, it's about making a plan, finding things that will make you finish it quicker, it's about dedication really. I'm pretty sure all these people that speedrun they played through the game first, enjoyed it, and then decided "Hey, I want to speedrun this game."

I agree in that I think that most games are meant to be enjoyed at a reasonable pace, but since most speed runners are huge fans of the games they run, I don't think it's fair to say that they haven't enjoyed the experience the game provides. I think for them, a speed run is like a bonus mode built into any game they enjoyed.

I don't like watching speed runs all that much unless I need to see how differently I could have played certain stages. If I'm watching for enjoyment I usually would prefer something that takes more time to enjoy the scenery but I can see how people might be in the mood for something faster sometimes.

I love watching speedruns. I even speedran a few games myself. Never got an amazing time, but it was still fun. I'm looking forward to SGDQ already :)

I've only followed a few speedruns of games I really enjoy. Some of the more popular ones have phenomenal records, especially Pokemon where they aim to beat the Elite Four and Pokemon champion in just a couple hours!

While I've seen a few, I have to admit it's not something that I'm particularly interested in. I agree that the game is there to be enjoyed, so I don't see the point myself. Each to their own though...