Soul Calibur 3

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
A friend of mine just bought me SC3 for her PS2, which really means she bought it for herself and I can play it whenever I get over there, which isn't often. Anyways, I've just begun playing it and think it's awesome, but I'm having a little difficulty with which moves are best. I don't know the specials and don't really know what to do with the soul charge thing.

Any advice on moves, characters, or your personal preferences would be helpful.

Well, I'm a big SC3 player. Each character is different in what they're best at, though. I'd suggest you and her go through the Olcadan training mode, then you'll really get a good grip on the game, and it'll teach you alot about fighting games in general.

My personal favorites are Mitsurugi and Yunsung. I generally try and go for a juggle with Mitsurugi and go for the poke-and-run with Yunsung.

Ok, I'm having a little trouble with the unlockable characters. I've unlocked a good deal of them, but there are five blanks in the Tale of Souls menu. The one in the center row below Nightmare, the first one on the bottom row, and a few others on the bottom row.

Are these unlockable characters and if so, how do I get them?

No. The Tales of Souls blank spots are the Random, random creation, created character (one on each bottom corner) and special character. You have all the main characters. You might not have all the special characters, though (Hwang being my favorite). But you should avoid Rock at all costs. He's slow, and does about the same damage as Mitsurugi, who's about twice as fast. If you want a big-and-slow guy, go with Astaroth or Nightmare.

I used to be a fan of Rock, but you're right about him being slow in this one. I personally like Mitsurugi and Maxi. How do you unlock the special and created character? There is a blank part beside the random character, so I'm still missing one there.

Abyss was the one I was missing. I understand where the others are. It's too bad it doesn't give a storyline for the entire list of unlockables. It could also generate a history for the created characters.

Well, all the bonus characters are either in the Chronicles of the Sword mode, or characters like Hwang and Amy are already canon characters (they're both parts of the overall SC story), so they already have a story. Except Miser and Revenant...

Yeah, I would like to know more about how all of those characters are floating around in SC3. For instance, Li Long is supposed to be dead. How does he pop up at the castle? I hope they bring SC4 to the 360. I don't want to pay for a PS3.

I've found that I'm best with the tamourine wielding Dancer. I may look ridiculous but I can kick your ass. I've always been best with the faster characters. I'm also good with Cassandra and Sophitia.

Cassandra and Sophitia are actually the strongest characters in the game. So strong that, in fact, they got nerfed for the PAL version of SC3. Then nerfed AGAIN for the Arcade version (and they're still the strongest in that one, too).

I noticed they are way powerful, but patience and a good knowledge of their moves helps out tremendously.

And yes, Kate, the dancer rocks. Although the samurai class and barbarian class have done just fine by me. The katana and shuriken weapons set is cool.

Well, the thing is that if you play good players, they'll just beat the hell out of you.

But indeed, the katana and shuriken weapon with the B+K counter is just awesome.

My personal favorite in Soul Calibur 3 is the Kunai weapon style from the created character classes. It may not be the most powerful, but with it's emphasis on kicks and the ability to pull off nightcrawler like teleports , it is what i enjoy playing the most.

My beef with the Soul Caliber Series: It's not Tekken.

That said, it can be a lot of fun. At least it's better than DOA.

Tekken plays like Dead or Alive if they had to wade through chest-deep mashed potatoes, and now requires significantly more skill to play than in the past with DOA4. Tekken is just SLOW.

DOA is significantly easier to start, definitely, but like all other fighting games, is impossible to master without many, many hours of commited practice. Both require an enormous amount of skill at high-level play. I can't definitively say DOA requires more skill to become a top-tier player, but it requires an enormous amount of skill. (to summarize, I dunno, but DOA isn't easy to master)

I don't like Tekken, but it isn't a bad game. I also don't like Virtua Fighter.