sony kills itself

That statement brilliant to Spudly levels (mainly because I once said essentially the same thing). Pretty much, the technology of the 360 and PS3 is getting so powerful, that by the next next gen, our eyes pretty much won't even be able to see the difference. I just wonder where gaming will go from there. Or if it will even be around then.

The next magnificent leap would have to be 3-D. But that presents a billion problems in itself. IF that tech were ready to go tomorrow, we would have to figure out how to redesign our living rooms completely. And with everything really pushing the flat panel, thin TVs, our ideas of living spaces would have to change. It could also be said that something like IMAX would be the next step. Where we would project around us as well as in front of us. Again with the furniture problems. The TVs, monitors, or projectors will eventually have to get better in order for the game systems to be better. Otherwise, we'll be putting a jet engine on a car that can only handle going 80 mph.

Maybe we'll all be living in a postapocalyptic world akin to Mad Max or the Road Warrior where we'll be too focused on survival while fighting for fuel and water. Here's hoping.

Or, if things actually go all nice and well they'll develop some sort of nano-machine mind-interface video game console that plugs directly into one's brain.

Of course it won't. If that was the case, the Xbox would have killed the PS2.

Now, the Xbox did very well, for being Microsoft's first system, and considering Sony's dominance of the market, but only a fool would say that the PS2 lost to the Xbox.

SnakeWesker said:
Of course it won't. If that was the case, the Xbox would have killed the PS2.

Now, the Xbox did very well, for being Microsoft's first system, and considering Sony's dominance of the market, but only a fool would say that the PS2 lost to the Xbox.
Who said that?

Klink said:
I think Sega is going to win the console wars, hands down! :p

Hahaha! Good one! I wonder if they will ever try to get back into the console market. My guess is probably not, I don't think Sega's doing as well as they thought they would do in the software-only biz. Maybe things will get better for them with the release of games like Condemned 2 and the next-gen Sonic.

Actually, they're doing quite well in the software-only biz. Their bigger projects (the Sonics, the Shinobi, Phantasy Stars) are all consistent million-sellers. While their smaller, better, games like Otogi, Condemned, and Panzer Dragoon Orta always seem to pop up as cult hits, and sell pretty well. They lost a LOT of money on the Dreamcast and Saturn, so it wasn't until Sonic Heroes that they were back in black. But they're still a popular company.

I had heard speculation that there will be two of them. One as a base unit and one a larger beast. Is that true?

Also, when will the Sony Online (or whatever it'll be called) go active? got any costs on that one?

I'd like to know the same as Jonas.....concerning the online service Sony will be offering.....to me, the service has to be about the most expansion options possible and how smooth the interface would be to navigate

I could be wrong, but I think the online service won't go up until the PS3 launches. There was a large talk of it coming out before april, but it is obviously nowhere in sight. I don't think it would be smart for them to open up their online community before the PS3 launches, though. To release it now would mean that players would get used to it on the PS2 and then immediately have to relearn everything with the PS3. I say look for it in november, or maybe late october.

As for a secondary drive for the PS3, that I haven't heard. Ive only heard the thing about the HDD being either seperate or built in, which is now confirmed as being built in. I don't know of any way that the memory or power for the PS3 will be upgradable. I have heard, however, that Nintendo might put out memory upgrades for the Revolution so that people can download more of the classic games. The Revolution is supposedly going to ship with 512G worth of memory space, and there are talks of putting out an additional add-on or a type of Revolution exclusive flash memory card. But, nintendo is being nintendo, and nobody knows much past a few veiled comments their higher ups have made. besides, the download games only take up, at most, 1G of hard-drive space (and thats just for the N64 games).

I think it might be smart for Sony to get their online service ramped up before the PS3 comes out. The reason? Get the bugs worked out before the PS3 goes online. Then they could also bombard the PS2 gamers with info on how great the PS3 will be and how much they absolutely NEED it.

Sony NEEDS to get attention drawn to themselves. Between the 360 and the Revo, there's hardly any attention given to them. Of course, if you own such a huge chunk of the market, how worried are you? Being on top in such a big way for so long brings a sense of security. That security can be false.

Ok, may be old news....but just heard news that the PS3 will be 600-700 dollars at launch....that came from somebody in their company....if that's true, OUCH!!!

well, it's been said a few times, but no one at Sony has confirmed or denied anything. To me, that's as much as confirming it. Unless they are getting a market reaction to rumors and then basing their final decision off of said reaction.

Not really, though. With the PSP, everyone was speculating a $500 launch pricetag, Sony kept quiet and then they pulled out that it was only $250.