Smash Bros: What Do?

Saccharine

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
So I've never played Smash Bros because the Wii wasn't really a thing at home. Now I'm in college and for whatever reason, it's the game soc's favourite thing ever. There's always about 8 people trying to get on it at a time, so there's not much time to sit down and actually just play to learn. I have a limited time to prove my worth; what are the bullet-points I need to know about controls, characters and everything else so I don't get smashed quite as bad next time I play?

Well, there's a lot of stuff here... First off I assume that they're either playing Melee or Project M (Brawl but plays like Melee). I'd recommend of course the Gamecube controller for you, but here are the basics of Smash.

• The goal is to knock your opponent off the stage and make them Self Destruct to either (1) score more than them in a timed setting (2) deplete their stock lives in a timed setting (usually 4 lives at 8 minutes).
  • You deal damage to your opponent in the form of percentages, the higher the percentage the more damage and the easier it is to launch your opponent.
  • You probably already knew all that...
  • In competitive playing there are numerous techniques, the easiest for me to learn was the L-Cancel tech. All you have to do is perform an aerial attack close to the ground and just in the last frame when your character touches the ground press the L-Button to immediately be able to perform any other action without having to wait for your character to finish the landing animation.
  • There are other techs like Smash DI and short hopping and wave dashing that I never had time to get into... I'd just spend some time watching Pro Matches and reading up on tech.

I think the best thing to do is just watch a bunch of professional matches of whatever Smash Bros. game they're playing, whether it be Brawl, Project M ( Brawl mod to make it faster and more exciting with more advanced techniques or generally just like Melee, hence the "M" ) or Melee. After watching a bunch of them you should pick up some of the things they do and start to learn, if you're curious about certain techniques they do just look them up! I'd recommend vods.co for watching competitive matches, it's also very exciting to watch matches as well though keep in mind it might take sometime to find your character that you play the best with and like a lot, anyway, have fun!