Single player games with persistent worlds

Azrile

Registered
Dec 7, 2014
Has anyone played a game where some aspect of the gameworld continued to advance even if you weren´t playing? I guess something like farmville does because your crops will grow when you aren´t online and be ready when you log back in. But I am thinking something more like an RPG that used the clock or an internet connect to update the gameworld based on time passing

I don't think I'm quite understanding this. You mean games where you click a few buttons, leave it be for a few hours, and you will get results? Well, I guess many mobile games and Facebook games are kind of the same thing, like aquarium games and Tiny Tower.

I used to play Animal Crossing which had a clock based mechanic to it. The days went by even when I was not playing, like some of my neighbors in game said they missed me and I would come on for special events such as christmas and halloween. Its a fun but random game that everyone should try out.

There's games like the Virtual Villagers series, a village simulation game, and Fish Tycoon, where the fish will hatch and grow based on your computer's time. Technically, you could cheat by manipulating the clock on your computer. They aren't that fun though, in my opinion. I played for three hours, and got bored. You should give it a try, anyway, if you like those type of games! I'm sure there are many free trials of them out there. Have fun playing! :)

Here is what I am thinking about.
I don't think I'm quite understanding this. You mean games where you click a few buttons, leave it be for a few hours, and you will get results? Well, I guess many mobile games and Facebook games are kind of the same thing, like aquarium games and Tiny Tower.

we are thinking more along the lines of allowing some mundane tasks be performed by followers while you are not playing. So for instance, you are the hero, and also the one who crafts items and makes all the decisions about your city´s growth. But you schedule what your villagers are doing, so that the rate you get ore, or gather wood is dictated by real world time. So when you log in, the wood is available to build your next building, or craft your new sword.

Here is what I am thinking about.

we are thinking more along the lines of allowing some mundane tasks be performed by followers while you are not playing. So for instance, you are the hero, and also the one who crafts items and makes all the decisions about your city´s growth. But you schedule what your villagers are doing, so that the rate you get ore, or gather wood is dictated by real world time. So when you log in, the wood is available to build your next building, or craft your new sword.
Oh ok I get it now ... those are mostly mobile games. I play Dungeon Keeper Mobile that has that feature.