Should Game Makers take a harder line against Cheating?

Zyni

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
When you're playing a game and you run into or get matched up with someone who cheats or hacks, it can be very frustrating. This is especially true if you lose rank/rating etc. because of them.

It can really be aggravating when the game company ignores it. I won't name any names, but one company did nothing even though the culprits bragged about what they were doing right on the game company's forums.

It can make good players not want to play.

Do you think there should be swifter and harsher penalties?

One of my ALL TIME favorite solutions to cheating was brought about (to my knowledge) by the game Titanfall. When players are caught cheating, they are unknowingly and forcibly put into match-making strictly with other cheaters. That way, they are isolated from real players and perhaps never even realize something has changed... this will stop them from just making new accounts and cheating in the real game again. I think it's genius, hilarious, and perfect. Cheaters playing with other cheaters... maybe they'll even get a taste of their own medicine. ;)

One of my ALL TIME favorite solutions to cheating was brought about (to my knowledge) by the game Titanfall. When players are caught cheating, they are unknowingly and forcibly put into match-making strictly with other cheaters. That way, they are isolated from real players and perhaps never even realize something has changed... this will stop them from just making new accounts and cheating in the real game again. I think it's genius, hilarious, and perfect. Cheaters playing with other cheaters... maybe they'll even get a taste of their own medicine. ;)

+1 majessticah post is the absolute best solution to hackers/cheaters. I think every single game should do this.

It is a very bad distraction when you encounter a lot of cheaters. I have left plenty of games, not because I am not good at the game, but because I will not spend my money and effort in playing the game when I have to combat against hackers, who either have hacked the games virtual currency, or the items they use or the games code itself allowing huge unfair advantages we as regular players do not have.

Seriously if you have to cheat to play a game just come to the conclusion you are not good at that game, go find one you don't need a hack to play. if you cant find a game you can play without a hack find a new hobby becasue clearly you are not a good gamer :) Or practice until you get better.

Reactions: Zyni
Definitely, and in this regard I think Valve has done a very good job with its VAC system, being able to detect cheats and ban offenders from ever playing on official servers again, with no chance of appeal.

They should definitely be less reserved on most games when it comes to punishing cheaters and hackers. There are a lot of small online PC games in which there are often cheaters, causing to make most players quit the game, making the profit of the company way lower. The problem is that most company's only ban for a short time, and they often hesitate to give a life-long ban and an IP ban.

I came into this post thinking it was for single player games, which I disagree as sometimes cheats in some RPGs and RTS games make it more ridiculous and fun. But for multiplayer games, I'm definitely for game makers taking a more firm stance against cheating. It takes the fun out of the game you're playing.

I´ve heard of some game designers adding a ´fudge´ factor to rolls based on your cheating. As Maj pointed out. The one thing you don´t want is for them to realize they have been busted, quit, and start on a new account. Especially in subscription based games, it is better to keep them paying, but just margainalize how much they can hurt other players. Whenever I see someone post on the WOW forums about having the ´worst luck ever´.. I wonder if Blizzard would ever implement a ´bad luck´ solution to thwart cheaters.

That is poetic justice, lol. I was trying to think up some good ways to deter cheating and post about those, but this... this is just brilliant! I can't think of any better way to deal with cheaters than to turn it around on them. haha

When it comes to MMOs, then yes I think the game makers need to do whatever they can to reduce/eliminate cheating as it's not fair to the other players. However, in non MMO games (like the Sims) I love that they build in a lot of cheats in the game. I don't always enjoy struggling to help my Sim earn money - sometimes I like to just give them the money so I can focus on other aspects of the game.

Yes and no. Cheating definitely can ruin a game for those who play legit. Hacks take the fun out of gaming competitively, practically killing the whole point of playing. Why would people do it? Not cool.

However, there are situations that cheating/hacking should be allowed. For example, messing with game files or mods can be very entertaining to everyone if they had agreed on it beforehand. If everyone is having fun and are cheating with everyone else's consent, they should be allowed to and not be labeled hackers and banned. If no harm is done, no punishment should be handed out.

I hope that makes sense.

Exploits and hacks are never going to be stopped. I find it unfair, as I am an honest player in the games I play, and I agree it's annoying, but it is doubtful it will end. I feel the game developers are partly responsible for the idea that you don't need to finish a game, but can take shortcuts. The Game Shark was an early advocacy for cheating. Games have also had cheat codes since at least the PS1, so the young people grew up with it.

I came into this post thinking it was for single player games, which I disagree as sometimes cheats in some RPGs and RTS games make it more ridiculous and fun. But for multiplayer games, I'm definitely for game makers taking a more firm stance against cheating. It takes the fun out of the game you're playing.
Yeah I was the same way so I almost posted earlier. It's not fair to the other people but if you're just playing by yourself no harm done. I try to avoid cheating in any game just to advance in a level but sometimes you reach a point where you give up like with Pokemon Yellow I have often used a walkthrough to get out of a cave. I hate mazes.

Reactions: Kleineganz