ROM Hacks and Translations

Poring

Registered
May 6, 2015
One of my favorite things about classic gaming is the ROM hacking scene. Ever since the late 90s, people have been mucking around in the guts of old video games and changing them around. Whether it's a simple sprite hack for Mario or Mega Man or a full-fledged translation of one of Japan's hidden gems, there are thousands of cool hacks produced over the years.

My personal favorite is the fan translation. A lot of awesome games (and some not so awesome games) that never saw the light of day in English are now playable on your favorite emulator. It's how people were finally able to experience Mother 3 in English, and where the first translations of games like Tales of Phantasia and Final Fantasy V were available.

Does anyone have a personal favorite ROM hack or translation? Or is there a game you've been waiting to play in English for years that you hope gets a fan translation? Personally, I've been waiting to see Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 translated. I know there's an existing patch for RS3, but the quality isn't that great and I'm hoping another group takes a hack at it eventually.

I'm looking forward to the Super Robot Wars translations that are in the works. It's taking forever, but hey, better late then never. :)

My personal favorite fan translations to date have been all the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side Games for Nintendo DS and PSP. I also played Dangan Ronpa before it was announced for official release. --- And if going way way back to the 90s, my favorite "old school" translation was Secret of Mana 2 (not to be confused with Evermore), it's a great game!