Rockstar Games Appreciation Thread

Stay Puft

Registered
Sep 21, 2015
Canada
Rockstar is without a doubt one of my favourite video game developer and publisher. They've come out with so many amazing games, it's almost a given that any new R* release will be a hit.

So, let's talk about which Rockstar game was your first and which game is your favourite.

My first was Grand Theft Auto III, and I played it on a friend's PS2. The open-world blew my mind at the time, and I couldn't believe the things you could do. The game has actually been released on mobile to commemorate the 10th anniversary in 2011, which is impressive in its own right.

My favourite game would have to be Grand Theft Auto V. I know it's a bit of a cop-out, but it's just amazing in so many ways.

The first Rockstar game that I played was also Grand Theft Auto III for the PS2. I have owned every GTA game in the series and one of the highest compliments I can pay Rockstar, is that all of their games have a high replay factor. My favorite GTA game in the series is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, although Vice City and GTA V are close runners up.

My all time favorite Rockstar game, however, is Bully. I am still sad that there has been no sequel to this yet. This would be an immediate day 1 buy for me.

Of all the Rockstar games that I have played, the only one that I wasn't a fan of was Oni.

Reactions: FreddyMac
I've played everything Rockstar has made, apart from the handheld stuff.

Way back in the day GTA was just something else, a fresh and interesting take on action games. GTA2 was a great refinement, and really put the ol' PC through its paces.

I ended up buy GTA3 of a Chinese roadside vendor, and it turns out it wasn't legal. Couldn't save the game, some radio stations missing. Only around Vice City, did I actually get a legit copy so I could properly play the game!

I still listen to the GTA radio stations. San Andreas' K-Rose, the country station, actually got me into Johnny Cash and classic country! Chatterbox, Liberty FM, all those, I love 'em.

Rockstar just has a flair for making games. Even Manhunt was something special (not great, but extremely compelling)

I think the finest piece of work from Rockstar is Grand Theft Auto. GTA is not just a game but it is a revolution since it changed the rules of gaming. The free-roaming is probably my best feature.

Of all the Rockstar games that I have played, the only one that I wasn't a fan of was Oni.
Oni was Rockstar?! googlegooglegoogle

Ah! Seems it was they handled the PS2 port of Oni, Bungie West was the creator of Oni. Cue me going "Bungie made Oni?!"

I played the demo of this way too much, but I didn't actually enjoy it. Odd...

Reactions: dillinger10
Oni was Rockstar?! googlegooglegoogle

Ah! Seems it was they handled the PS2 port of Oni, Bungie West was the creator of Oni. Cue me going "Bungie made Oni?!"

I played the demo of this way too much, but I didn't actually enjoy it. Odd...
I am glad I am not alone in being underwhelmed by Oni. I really wanted to like it. I know for the most part, it was universally well received, but I found the AI to be rather clunky at times and the game play was repetitive and linear too. On the plus side, Konoko did have a vast array of moves and weapons to choose from.

The very first GTA was ground breaking for being one of the first true open-world experiences. The top down style was annoying in the way you could never drive too fast without crashing full tilt into something but I still played it for hours and hours. Rockstar kept that alive and helped such an original concept grow and develop into the GTA titles we all know and love today. Their growth and success has been continuous and beyond precedent ever since. They're responsible in part for making gaming so mainstream, the GTA series is popular beyond any other game, even League or Minecraft or any other game you care to mention. Their success has never wavered in over a decade. Thats not even mentioning all the other titles they've produced, Manhunt, Max Payne, LA Noire, and countless others. They're gamers who write games for other gamers,

Rockstar has produced so many strong games through the years. While GTA, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, Max Payne et al often take center stage, the one game that I think is vastly underrated is Warriors. It is a super fast paced brawler with a great soundtrack and really captured the seedy underbelly of New York. It's pretty incredible to think that Bully and Warriors are often times overlooked but in their own right, they were must own games. There aren't too many developers that have put together such a strong stable of games.

I haven't seen anyone mention Midnight Club: Los Angeles, which was developed by Rockstar San Diego. I played it on the Xbox 360 and it's actually a decent racing game. You can see where they used some of the driving mechanics for Grand Theft Auto, or maybe it's the opposite...

The first game I saw and played under the Rockstar banner was Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. Ole CJ and the gang was a really cool game, indeed. It had everything, the look, the sound, the feel, and the game play was tight. It was so nice. My favorite though, was the little known game, Bully. I was a little bit bullied when I was a kid, so being the bully this time (at least in videogame form) was kind of therapeutic to say the least. I really loved its game play and the graphics were good too.

I have enjoyed games like Grand Theft Auto 3 to The latest one which was well made and looked real and had three characters in the game, which had three different stories which was nice. Bully was a good game and you good be the hero or a bully in the game and it had a great story and betrayal which occurs in each game, Jimmy was a tough guy who does not have a good family background and even has a female version of him as a girlfriend. I think we will see more games down the road, and hope we see female characters who can make it appealing and nice as well while playing the game.