Retro gaming vs gaming today

daniel hancock

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
I will always remember my first games console which was my Sega Megadrive. I was only eight when my father bought me it which is where my love for gaming started.

Although games today have come a long way in terms of graphics and content, I still think some of the older gaming like Alex the Kid and Asterix where fantastic. They where only simple platform games but where so fun!

Which games consoles did you own and which do you think is better, retro or gaming today?

I think modern games are better since there's much more freedom in what they can be. With the size, sound, graphics limitations of retro games they just couldn't hope to create things like 3D environments, cut scenes and epic music scores. Sure there're many great oldschool games but I find that people creating retro games nowadays are just being lazy and milking the nostalgia factor.

There will always be a soft spot for retro gaming especially if you are a bit older. I will never forget playing ice Climber and Battle City on the NES with my brothers. But I still think the games of today are better. I mean there are so many options now. I can either ran over my brothers in GTA 5 or dunk on them on NBA 2k15. And I don't even have to be in the same country as them.

I prefer retro gaming because of the challenge that game with it. The younger kids don't know what 'Game Over' means and having a limited amount of lives and/or continues. Now, if you make a mistake in your game, you simply respawn near where you were last - or hopefully you quicksaved.

I think the newer games kind of hold our hands and we've forgotten that games were supposed to be hard; that's what made them so much fun!

I feel like retro games have more of a challenge associated with them, while modern games have more of a story attached to a lot of them.

I think retro games had to have much better gameplay than games do today. Games today can wow you with graphics and fluff stuff to the point where gameplay doesn´t have to be nearly as engaging.. but when you had games like Zork, Might and Magic or the first 2 Civilizations.. The gameplay had to be there, because there wasn´t anything else.

Emotionally? It's clearly retro gaming. Though where games are going it's hard to really not appreciate the new systems. We've become the type of people to poo poo the graphics & storytelling & overall quality as games when they come out. Do you remember when we thought things couldn't get any better when we played the NES? Good times

Reactions: Zyni
I will always remember my first games console which was my Sega Megadrive. I was only eight when my father bought me it which is where my love for gaming started.

Although games today have come a long way in terms of graphics and content, I still think some of the older gaming like Alex the Kid and Asterix where fantastic. They where only simple platform games but where so fun!

Which games consoles did you own and which do you think is better, retro or gaming today?
Retro games have always been my favorite back in those days. Remembering those games like Sonic the Hedgehog 2,3 and 3D Blast were cool. I could recall playing Sonic CD that one was decent. Games like Shadow Warrior were a major classic not sure about the remake if that one is any good.

My personal favorite era is the years of ps2. I think that was a huge milestone in modern gaming and the amount of experimentation that games had at that time were of the perfect balance of experience and exploration. Although that's not to say that no innovation happens now, and I can also appreciate what games have evolved into and I still look forward to what happens in the future.

Emotionally? It's clearly retro gaming. Though where games are going it's hard to really not appreciate the new systems. We've become the type of people to poo poo the graphics & storytelling & overall quality as games when they come out. Do you remember when we thought things couldn't get any better when we played the NES? Good times

Yep, emotionally it's definitely the retro stuff. I have a lot of fond memories. The games today keep becoming more incredible. Some of the games coming out look so great that I can't wait to check them out. I'm enjoying the chance to experience the best of both worlds.

My personal favorite era is the years of ps2. I think that was a huge milestone in modern gaming and the amount of experimentation that games had at that time were of the perfect balance of experience and exploration. Although that's not to say that no innovation happens now, and I can also appreciate what games have evolved into and I still look forward to what happens in the future.
The future is always full of possibilities there my friend. You have games of right now that look really good like Destiny, Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain, Dark Souls 2, and Infamous the Second Son. The games in this age would improve and become completely realistic to the point where we would be able to touch the characters ourselves LOL.

The future is always full of possibilities there my friend. You have games of right now that look really good like Destiny, Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain, Dark Souls 2, and Infamous the Second Son. The games in this age would improve and become completely realistic to the point where we would be able to touch the characters ourselves LOL.
Very true. With the advancement of technology it's hard not to be impressed with the capabilities being put forth. I'm just a bit worried that everyone is focusing too much on realism, personally, but like I said I wouldn't deny that they are still just as fun as older games that were less realistic, just different.

Very true. With the advancement of technology it's hard not to be impressed with the capabilities being put forth. I'm just a bit worried that everyone is focusing too much on realism, personally, but like I said I wouldn't deny that they are still just as fun as older games that were less realistic, just different.
By realism you can definitely see how things are going to be later on. I would worry too about the future with how future crooks would act when they play games. It may be too realistic to where the killings could be too real.

By realism you can definitely see how things are going to be later on. I would worry too about the future with how future crooks would act when they play games. It may be too realistic to where the killings could be too real.
I know what you mean. I grew up in the 16 bit era and even though we had Mortal Kombat it pales in comparison to games nowadays where the violence is way too realistic, and it even bothers me sometimes, I have to admit.

Reactions: daniel hancock
I don't know. A lot can be said for either retro, or modern gaming. There's a lot of charm in the older systems though, and I'm not just saying that for nostalgia reasons as an older gamer myself. In fact I remember the whole reason I got into gaming in the first place. It was because my Father bought my Mother an NES system with a few games at a garage sale, and me and my brothers ended up monopolizing the machine after she ended up working again.

But there are a lot of games today that are easily classics as well that contend with, or even exceed, what you could possibly do in the older era. For starters, there's no way that you can play a game like Skyrim or Oblivion on an older computer. Yes, I realize you had Daggerfall, but comparatively it was far too big, and full of bugs. Likewise, there's no way you can have the same scale, or scope of the MMO market like you could in an earlier era, and each successive generation seemingly creates more advance and in depth games to immerse yourself in.

I suppose in the end though, it all depends on whether or not you find the games fund that truly matters.