Resident Evil 5 Demo

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
Well, at long last, the public at large (that didn't go to the Tokyo Game Show) can try RE5 and man, it's quite fun. We talked briefly about the early, generally unfounded, accusation of racism (or just general lack of racial sensitivity) because of how all the zombies/plagas/whatever-the-RE5-guys-are are black.

Well, the good news is that RE5 is super-fun. The bad news (to me) is that Capcom caved in to all the bloggers who have never even played a Resident Evil and made a mix of zombies that is worthy of appearing in a Nesquik commercial. It's still pretty obvious that the game was changed. I can't help but be reminded of the "Cartoon Wars" episode of South Park.

That aside, RE5 is pretty much exactly like RE4 (including some many recycled animations). However, it has a serious graphical improvement over RE4, and looks pretty seriously badass. The co-op dynamic is awesome. Very, very fun.

From the little bit I played, RE5 seems very, very fun. One concern of mine would be the fact that you always have to have a partner. That's all fine and dandy when your partner is a real person, but I'm curious to find out how well the A.I. partner will be able to perform over the course of the entire game.

The change in zombie color doesn't bother me really. Everyone on every gaming website out there bitched about judging RE5 as a finished product, now hopefully we can all judge the game based on the actual gameplay.

I know some people will cry foul, but did the change really "change" anything gameplay-wise? My guess is no.

Last edited:
My complaint is that Capcom caved, more than anything. I'd have preferred them saying "stfu" to all the bloggers out there complaining about it.

Anyway, that is all totally irrelevant. RE5 is an instant candidate for game of the year 2009. And if it has something like GOW2's swarm or horde or whatever mode...it's a shoe-in. (though my tune will probably change on that when SF4 comes out)

RE4 had something like the horde mode, when you were stuck in the town for a set amount of time, with an infinite number of zombies to kill. I can't see RE5 not having something like that.

One complaint, and this is because it was a demo and I didn't know how crap worked, is that I went to give my partner some ammo and she took it all, leaving me worthless and her, for some reason, not shooting anything. I also didn't know how to get it back from her. Besides that one instance, though, I was very impressed with how much I didn't hate having her run around with me.

I felt that way a little initially, but it just had a bit of counter-intuitiveness that you overcome fairly quickly.

As much as I like RE4 I'm still not totally sold on this co-op deal, I hated RE4 cheap losses because that dumb bitch Ashley got in the way, but if their is a dumpster or something at all times to throw my partner than it's all gravy!