Red Steel Scans

mlvassallo

Registered
Apr 12, 2006
Austin, Tx
Over at Joystiq they had some scans from an upcoming Game Informer with screens for Red Steel.

red2.JPG

red3.JPG

red1.JPG

This is what could be read from the scans- passed on from a friend:

This is a The Plot:

You're an american man married to a Japanese woman. On the night you are going to meet her father, she’s kidnapped. Turns out her dad is a Yakuza boss. There’s a ceremonial sword that will tilt the power of the organization towards the person who holds it. Saito, your wife’s dad, takes the sword but is mortally wounded. Tokai takes your wife to trade for the sword. Instead, Saito, her dad, gives you the sword and tells you to get his daughter back. He then dies. Your mission is to get your wife back.

You'll meet two masters once you get to Japan, one who teaches you the sword, and the other who teaches you the gun. They will also give you new missions, which will generally revolve around facing a new Yakuza boss. You'll have to convince the boss to get on your side by dueling with him and not killing him. Also, staying on the good side of your masters is very important.

The Controls:

The controls are really cool. By pushing the controller forward, you’ll knock stuff down and can use it for cover. By pulling it back you reload the gun. You aim by moving the controller. By looking at one spot continuously and moving using the analog stick, you stay focused on that target and kind of strafe-ish. You can lob grenades too in the game. It also says that the story is really good, and really focuses on using the controller a lot. Also, there will be headshots and stuff. Switching to sword will be instantaneous and you'll have to be quick about it.

Misc.

The whole game is based around the controller. To gain the allegiance of a Yakuza boss, you need to first defeat him in 1-1 sword play and spare his life. If you can’t, it’ll make life troubling for you when you face Tokai. Your missions will be given to you by your masters, and they will generally focus on you taking on a boss.

Also, Ubi says that the game is completely built around the controller. Hope this helps!

Ubi seems very excited about the controller. When they first saw it, they started thinking of ways and immediately started putting something together. When they got enough stuff together, they presented it to Iwata-san and Miyamoto-san, both of whom gave lots and lots of ideas for the game.

There is mention of some online multi-player, but it's almost unreadable.

Thought you guys would like that.

That game looks pretty damn cool. If it really does meet the launch date like they're saying, it'll definitely be a boost to Nintendo's appeal to older gamers.

It will be cool to actually swing your arm holding the remote controller to point and attack with a sword.

I would like to read more about what "Hands on" is like with this game. I was reading rumor sites (which only get me into trouble) and I have the impresson that it only tracks basic movements. Nothing too fancy. I wonder exactly to what extint is "too fancy"?

^Yeah, they are from a Euro Game Informer so they are english and No, I didn't even copy down the articles- a friend on gamefaqs did and he did such a great job I wanted to share with you guys.

Cool :D I have a penchant for foreign languages, especially Japanese, so I try to learn what I can from whoever I can. I've started teaching myself (which is insane, btw, not for the faint of heart), but plan on getting a real education at college next year. Four years of high school Spanish... well, that doesnt tend to cut it in the real world... especially when your class was more into the chips and salsa aspect of the language XD

^My girlfriend lived in Japan for 5 years when she was younger and it is pretty cool having her around when I want to read the ingredients on my package of Pocky. She didn't like it as much as I would imagine I would like it, but she has lives all over the world and that can be tough.

Don't be so sure those college Spanish classes are going to help you any more than high school ones did. I took Spanish all four year of High School and 2 semesters worth in College and I still struggle with the language.

My future family-in-law is El Salvadoran and this last Christmas showed me just how much school didn't teach me about the language.

If you are really serious about a language I would suggest looking into Michel Thomas' language CDs he has Spanish and Japanese sets that are really cool. I am using his Spanish CDs right now and I feel like I know more than I have after all that schoolin' :p

As a fan of first-person shooters, I can't wait for this one. It's THE reason I'm looking forward to picking up a Revolution when it launches, finally. I wonder how they'll incorporate both gun and swordplay into the game, though, if they'll be separate sequences or if you'll be capable of switching between the two at will. It'll be interesting to see how that will pan out.

Thing is...I don't think swordfighting can be done well on the Revolution. Without the ability for the controller to stop on-impact...I just don't think it will be that good.

ya that game sounds like its gonna be pretty cool. thats a game i'll be looking into in the coming weeks with e3 around the corner. im interested in how all these games will work with the controller of the revolution and if it will be comfortable and easy to get use to. guess we'll have to wait and see.

Myself and the Gamecube/Rev editor, Alex, will be poking around/interviewing Nintendo about the Revolution from the floor at E3. If we get some hands on time with it, stay tuned to our show coverage!