Recommendations for Mobile Games

petrushka

Registered
Dec 2, 2014
I was wondering if anyone got any recommendation for mobile games that won't need internet to play? Preferably on Android since that's my phone, but iOS is fine too for those who are looking for similar games. I've been on a strategy and RPG mood lately but most of the ones I have require internet connection and I'd like to have the capacity to play something even when no wifi is available.

If you would indicate if it's free or paid, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance!

Clash of Clans! I'm not sure if that is on Android, but it is on iOS. I really enjoy the game. It is a strategy game that has plenty to do on it. There are constantly updates, which helps keep it fresh.

The game is free to download, but offers in-app purchase.

Reactions: petrushka
Thanks Brady! I played this game a few months ago before needing to stop because I was too addicted, haha. I also downloaded Hay Day for similar reasons. I managed to be at a level 7 Townhall with a first level Barbarian King before burning out with the constant playing.

But doesn't it need a net connection to play though? When I'm in transit for work, I can't really play this because I save my mobile data for work-related stuff and VoIP. It would be cool if they manage to have an update where a player can fix they village while offline and just sync with the servers when they get online again, haha.

Clash of Clans and Hay Day are both from Supercell, and they're both good games. However, you'll need an internet connection to play it. I'm currently playing Dungeon Quest, and it's a nice game as well. It doesn't need any internet connection for it to work. Give it a try.

Mary, thanks for your recommendation! Yeah, I just opened up Clash of Clans and Hay Day while the wifi was off to see if they work without it, but nope. They're both really entertaining games but I don't always have internet so having more variety with my offline games is preferred.

I just downloaded this app and it does look interesting! If you think of anything else, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

I would definitely recommend the Brave Frontier. It's the best game that I have played on mobile so far. It's like an RPG game and your task is to complete stages and defeat the boss of each stage to advance to the next level. You can also summon powerful characters in the game as your level increases. The only downside of this game is that you cannot play the game if you do not have a wifi connection.

Thanks, Chen!

I've actually already played this already and it's still a game I play from time to time. It does require internet connection though so I can only play it when I'm at home. I save my data for work + VoIP with friends and family so when I'm in transit to work or somewhere else, I can't play games that require it, even if I'd like to.

Thanks for the recommendation though! I appreciate it. :)

Playing a game called Zombirds now and it's fairly addictive and definitely very well made. All you have to do is shoot the birds with an arrow from under but there are a bit more complex mechanics involved of course. I'm not sure if it's available for Android, but it's free on ios.

Hi Goldie, thanks for the recommendation!

I'm checking Google Play right now and there is a "Shoot the Zombirds" game created by Infinite Dreams. It's free! :) And from the description you had there, it seems to at least be a similar game, with bird flying and being shot by someone with a pumpkin head. Is this the one?

Also, can I play it with no wifi connection? Seems like an interesting game from the screenshots at least.

Thanks again for the rec!

You could try Shadow Era, it's a free mobile TCG much like Hearthstone. It supports offline play against bots but you wouldn't get any gold this way.

I think I tried Hearthstone -- wait, is that the same as Spellbook: Hearthstone because that's what I have -- and I do like TCGs so that's pretty much perfect. Thanks Squigly! I'm downloading it right now.

I don't mind if I don't get gold since this is more to pass the time during the loooong commute time I experienced going to and from work. I always get addicted to TCGs so I hope this one does too.

Thanks again! :)

You can try many games, here are a few which I play, and they don't require internet. Most of these are paid games, though.
Kingdom Rush: Origins - the newest tower defense game in the KR series
Wayward Souls, Mage Gauntlet - retro-style top-down permadeath RPG and action-adventure, respectively.
Battleheart Legacy - Diablo-like hack and slash, with auto-attack to help. You still have to move and use skills though.
Civ Revolution 2 - a bit dumbed down, smaller CIV game, perfect for larger (5') phones, or phablets.

Thanks MrHurricane! I've played Kingdom Rush before but not this version so I already know it works for me with regards to strategy. Wayward Souls and Mage Gauntlet look lie old-school RPGs so that alone already got me interested. I'm hoping the gameplay is as interesting too. And you had be at "Diablo-like" for Battleheart Legacy so it's on my list now. Can't wait to try any and/or all of these games! Thanks again!

Thanks for pointing out that they're paid too. I'm still deciding which to try first but your recs have been awesome. :)

You might want to try out the Zenonia series on iOS, it pays homage to old school rpgs. Along with multiple classes you can choose, the gameplay can go on for awhile. There is even a new game+ option so you can continue leveling your characters past level 50.

Thanks JayWifi!

I was a bit worried that it might be an iOS only game but it's available on Android too. I haven't tried it yet but it looks promising and multiple classes + RPG is always a plus for me. I do hope I get to enjoy it since it seems to fulfill a lt of what I like in games. I've been given such a wide variety in recommendations. This thread has been super helpful, haha.

Thanks again! :D

I don't have a smartphone, but I do have a PlayStation Vita. The Vita is a pretty popular destination for smartphone games to pretty themselves up and come over, so I've had some experience with what should be good on mobile phones.

These games in particular come to mind:

Mouse Bounce - Paid, $0.99

Table Top Racing - Android, Free or Paid, Free/$0.99

Ring Run Circus - iOS-only, Paid, $4.99

Front Wars - Android, Paid, $3.99

They're pretty fun to play.

Has anyone here played Goat Similuator? I have read numerous positive reviews for this game. It all sounds very odd but also kind of fun. At $4.99 it's kind of an expensive purchase to make on a whim and so I was wondering if anyone had played this game or had any thoughts.

@TonyMHFan - I don't have a Vita but I'll check definitely check these games out. I'll probably read some reviews first though because there are games I'm horrible at and I don't want to waste money, even if it's just $0.99 :p Thanks for the recommendations though!

@dillinger10 - I'm afraid I haven't tried it yet. But if the reviews are positive, then there are people who enjoyed it so I'm interested too. Hopefully someone who has tried it can reply here so we can see why it's getting that positive feedback.

I am TOTALLY addicted to Auralux. Try it if you want to forget what living's all about.

I'll describe it as simply as I can: you are a Sun. You produce Stars. There are other Suns. They also produce Stars. Stars are, at the same time, "currency" and "fighters": with them you can upgrade your Sun to produce more Stars, faster, OR send them to "colonize" a blank space, turning it into another Sun for you (that produces more Stars, that you can upgrade, blah-blah), OR send them to attack an enemy Sun. And they do the same to you.

I...am...hooked. I must have played and replayed the same damn levels (there's only a handful of them) more than 1000 times each! My Nexus 7 almost melt under my fingers from so much dragging and tapping and "telling my stars to crush them Red and Green and Whatever Other Suns".

Try it.