PS4 is now obsolete technology, you still want one?

joshposh

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
trafficmonsoon.com
The home computer packs more punch than a PS4. Do you still want one? I'm sure the PS4 will be sold for another 4 to 6 years before finally being discontinued. The home computer will be leaps and bounds superior in every way by then. The games will be spectacular on the PC. You still want to get a PS4?

Well, what games come out on the PS4 versus the PC is really going to influence if I get it. As of right now, I have no plans for purchasing one; and am fine gaming on my PC and 3DS. The only game I know I want that will probably come out on the PS4 is Kingdom Hearts 3, but I'm willing to wait for awhile for the prices to go down. So long as I have the console before the game comes out I don't really care. I don't feel a need to purchase it now.

I think that is what it ultimately comes down to for plenty of gamers: what games will be on it? If the games released are available for multiple systems, and you have a good PC, then you might as well do PC. However, purchasing a PS4 is cheaper than putting forth the money into a gaming computer, if you don't already have one. So then that comes into play. Some games would look awesome on a PC, sure, but not everyone can afford an awesome PC. There are people who just get the bare minimum for a computer and namely use it for work, school, etc.

I just recently got a good computer, so playing PC games was absolutely out of the question before then. My old one crashed when I played MapleStory. Binding of Isaac and Castle Crashers were the only games I really played on that one. Now I don't have any limitations. With this in mind, for myself, it truly comes down to the game. I'm a hardcore enough Kingdom Hearts fan that I'm willing to buy a console I may only ever use once just to play the new game.

It's all about the games. PS2 was inferior to the Xbox at the time, but the gaming library was, IMO, far superior on the PS2 so I enjoyed it more.

I haven't actually looked this information up to know if it's true, but, generally, it is cheaper to get up and running on a console than it is on a PC. If you already have a high end gaming PC, might as well put it to good use, but I have a laptop that doesn't play games well. For $400, I can play games pretty damn well on my TV. I think it would cost more for me to build a desktop that is as powerful as the PS4.

I've always leaned more towards console gaming though. I just prefer the ease of use. I am totally technically capable of building a PC and am actually pretty savvy with computers, I just honestly prefer to take a break from the computer from time to time (I use it for work a lot) and just sit back and play a console.

With that said, all of the above stuff I said about me preferring console gaming has been true in the past. This generation is still up in the air. I have yet to buy a PS4 or Xbox 1, and I've primarily been gaming on my PC recently (only playing WoW which doesn't require that much power).

Yep, because this has always been an ongoing issue that console corporations have with PC, which is why console games mostly are sold only for console gaming. Even though PS2 has been out of date for years now, I still play it to play old games I used to and still enjoy to play. PC computers will always have faster advancements, but there are so many PC games that never use the full potential power of a computer. I still want to acquire a PS4 because it will have many games that I shall want to play.

This is going to sound really selfish of me but I hope they quit the PS4 soon. I understand it is a fact of life that companies will move on to new things but it was too soon for the PS4. I got the PS3 only a few years ago and am satisfied with it. Now they're coming out with the PS4? Eventually they're going to stop making PS3 games so I am going to be forced to switch if they continue with the PS4 which would be fine if I saw evidence that it was actually worth it.

Yeah the hardware is behind compared to PC gaming, but once again there's a reason why consoles still exist...the games. There's lots of games that are console only which is what makes them keep existing even though PC has a lot better hardware and support. As of right now I have no desire to own one since they're still too high at the moment. Probably in another year or so I might get one.

The hardware is behind PCs you can get now, but the games are optimized fairly well for what's in them. Take a look at last generation gaming consoles for example. Launch/first year titles weren't that impressing. As time went on, new technology allowed developers to make games that were much more visually and gameplay-wise satisfying. The same will happen with the PS4. These machines are made for gaming, not PC use.

As for people who don't like that there's now a PS4, do note that the PS3 was released in 2006. That was a whole 7 years before the PS4. It's about right for console generations. Sony will keep supporting the PS3 until 2016, just like every other Sony console (10 year support).

To say the PS4 is obsolete technology is a bit of a ridiculous claim, it's far from that. At the moment developers are being held back by the need to keep developing versions of games for the older generation of consoles, and once those consoles are retired developers will be able to start working solely with the new hardware in the PS4 and Xbox One. You see that as console generations grow longer the visuals developers can produce only get better (see: the Uncharted games, The Last of Us, Halo 4, etc.). Yeah, sure PCs will always have better hardware but that doesn't really matter unless developers have the capacity to harness it, the constantly changing nature of the PC's hardware landscape means that PC developers are constantly having to adapt, whereas with consoles they know that nothing is going to change and they won't have to deal with any potential compatibility issues.

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages, its just up to the individual to decide which advantages appeal to them most and which disadvantages turn them off most then make a decision based on that.

This is going to sound really selfish of me but I hope they quit the PS4 soon. I understand it is a fact of life that companies will move on to new things but it was too soon for the PS4. I got the PS3 only a few years ago and am satisfied with it. Now they're coming out with the PS4? Eventually they're going to stop making PS3 games so I am going to be forced to switch if they continue with the PS4 which would be fine if I saw evidence that it was actually worth it.

As long as people keep buying PS3s and PS3 games, they won't stop making PS3 games anytime soon. It's all about the consumers at the end of the day. You're not the only one that feels this way. There are still a ton of PS3 only gamers out there who aren't ready to upgrade (me being one of them). The PS2 was sorta similar, so it had a few years of life left after the PS3 came out. The PS3 looks like it could be in a better position because not only are PS3 games and consoles still being sold, but PS3 also gets a lot of the current gen games as ports, so it doesn't even feel like I'm missing out on much.

I would not get a PS3 now that is for sure, but having one why not, some old games are still rather enjoyable and I have two kids, so nothing like letting them with the old games so that they don't ruin my computer. :)

Last edited:
It's a completely different experience playing on a console, especially since PS4 came out. The graphics have been vamped up. If you think about it, playing games like GTA on your PC isn't really as smooth as you'd think. The mouse movements and keyboard setup isn't as elegant as a controller that's specifically built for the game.

I don't think it's obsolete technology, I don't even think PS3 is obsolete (at least for the next 1-2 years). I'd imagine it would be quite expensive to fit a home computer's specs into a whole console.

Considering the last PS2 game was released in the 2013, I think the PS4 will be sticking around for a long time. I also don't think it's obsolete just yet, at least not compared to the average home computer. There's also a ton of added benefits. It's usually easier to stream things with the PS4 or even PS3 than with your average home computer. In addition, I'm a college student. I don't have a home computer. I have a laptop that doesn't even have a disc drive. It's cheaper to just buy a PS4 than a good bluray player.

Reactions: JayWifi
That's what I think as well, but to be honest I prefer pc gaming to the PS4, I am somewhat tired of buying new consoles and new games all the time, with the computer is way simpler.

PS4 is awesome, their graphics look very good, the Next gen it's great and powerful engine but if you ask what I prefer I would like PC advanced.

I'm fine with that. If I did buy it, I wouldn't really be buying it for the powerful specs, but just the experience that comes with it. Granted, I'm not planning on buying it until a major price cut, so maybe that's why I'm more open to owning one regardless of the less than stellar specs.

Desktop computers and gaming consoles have different markets though. A desktop may be more powerful and with more use than a PS4 but a gaming console is determined by how many games you want to play there. It's not like you buy a PS4 just so you can watch a neflix show or a BD movie.

At this point in time, and probably in the near future too, a console specifically for gaming (and something as popular as the Playstation at that) will have more games created for it that a desktop PC. So obviously, the demographic who is targetted by that marketing will likely see the more of the benefits of owning a PS4 regardless of how powerful and useful a deskptop might be.

Do I want a PS4? Yes. I still want one. For me, it was always about the games, exclusive games. I don't even use my console to watch TV or download music, etc. so I'm more on gaming actually. I'm also not a stick-to-one-gaming-device kind of gamer. I'd get a console or handheld device because there's a game coming out for it that I'm dying to play. I still have my PS3 and Xbox but I'll buy a PS4 once there's more games for it (too many Remaster editions whatever). Maybe an Xbox One probably years after that if they release DC4 on it but I'm also open to PC gaming. I can't update/upgrade our PC right now because it's kinda expensive but knowing the right specs would help me since I also want to install 3D animation software. I'd also need help with carrying stuff (only gamer in my family and I'm a girl). Anyway, soon maybe...who knows? Whatever happens I will keep on gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayWifi
Its personally a matter of preference and pricing. I've been a fan of playstation all of my life mostly for the anime videogames they sell, which I often see lacking on the PC market. I know you can use console controllers on computers as well however I don't like having to deal with downloading drivers everytime I choose to play with one. Not to mention a good gaming computer costs about $1000 or more while the average game console costs much less. Not everyone has the money to fork out on a top tier gaming computer. I mean I have a computer of my own that can run alot more games than my previous computers, but I'd rather play most of my games on console since games are mostly cross-platform and I'll save the PC for when I want to play PC exclusive games. Also even though I'm a fan of Playstation, I'm not running out to get the PS4 at the moment due to the price and what it provides. The PS4 doesn't really show a change from the PS3, and why fork out a few hundred dollars for something with similar graphics, and games. I'll wait awhile until the prices go down.

Reactions: YunaKazama26

Haha, selfish or not, I'm kind of on the same page. I'm all for moving forward and everything but sometimes it doesn't seem worth it at the pace they're going at...sometimes it seems a bit gimmicky just to get money and push everyone to the "next big thing", which I understand is a part of their job, but is still irritating.

Computer's will always be more advanced than consoles, that's just how things go. Doesn't/Shouldn't deter me or others from buying one however, for the ease of use, being able to not have to drop extra money to upgrade, and ability to buy physical copies of games.

Reactions: YunaKazama26