PS3 to Pricey?

There is a possabilty for me to get the 600 one but i'm not sure. But I'll still get the Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii when it comes out. And any one who gets Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii will have the best time ever.

the price of the PS3 is garbage. $600 is way to much for a console, no matter how good it is. For some reason my friends think that the PS3 is going to be less than $400, I keep telling them that they're retarded,but if I'm wrong someone tell me.

You know what? The SNK Neowave cost $600 in 1992. It sold millions in Japan and had new, great games coming out on it all the way until 2003. They were, and still are a pretty obscure company. Sony is established, popular and has bigger, more high-profile games. They'll be fine.

$600 for the console, and they announced that games could run upwards of $79.99.

Remind me again about that "Well, at least consoles are cheaper than PCs" argument again? C'mon... say it... I need a good laugh right about now. :cookiemon

Yeah, if I'm hearing correctly, the $200 (or thereabouts) Wii seems like a brilliant "second console" choice. It's even tiny in size as well, perfect for those people that purchase either a 360 or a PS3 (not too many will be able to afford both, at least in the near-term, I'm betting). Seems like a brilliant marketing choice for Nintendo- credit where credit is due. Personally, I didn't feel like wasting hours of my E3 time standing in the Wii line, so I can't vouch for what the graphics and whatnot looked like, but they're not really High-Def (which is why the cost is so low), but I'm sure fans of cutsey Japanimation and Mario games are no doubt in a swoon over their good fortune.

You know what I just might buy the PS3 just cause. I mean i'm going to get the system anyway. So I'm still on the fence about it. I have no problem paying 600 for the system. Money is not the issue to me. I don't wanna pay 600 for a system and can do nothing with it. So far the games I have seen that will be at launch are dull to me. Or I can get them ( if the price of $79.99 is correct) for less on the 360. Thing is between the PS3 and the 360 the games will play the same and I dare someone to say i'm wrong.

In other news I have confirmed with my Gamestop friends that they will more than likely not be taking pro-orders on the PS3. Why you ask? Well he said that the company knows how many systems they will be getting. So it will avarge out to maybe 2-3 per store. And stores like Best Buy maybe looking at about 10 max per store. Gamestop will be selling first come first serve. To avoid the Pre-Order mis-hap of the 360. This is all what I was told it may or may not hold so Good luck to all who want one. I have connections to get mine.

It's true that Sony will sell PS3's, and this system won't be a total failure.

But there's more to it than just selling systems. Sony is not Nintendo. Yes, there are some good first party franchises in Sony's barrel, but not enough to keep a console alive. The key to keeping third party developers on board is having a wide enough reach to ensure them that they will see a good return on investment. Put simply, there has to be enough systems in enough households to justify the costs of making a game. If the PS3 sells but not well, especially not as well as the 360 or Wii, third parties may choose not to develop games for the PS3. This may start out as a slow trickle effect, and grow into a larger problem later in the system's life.

If the rumor that games will cost $80 are true, then I suspect Sony knows this and that's a plan to combat it. If publishers aren't guaranteed to sell as many copies, make up for it by selling them at a higher price.

Launch sales of consoles in the U.S. are usually driven by Christmas shopping. So the big question is: will parents buy PS3's for thier kids this Christmas? I guess it depends on the parents, but consider that some parents alreadt spent $400 just last year on XBox 360's. Most of them probably won't spend another $600 this year. The rest are facing other financial concerns; gas prices are up, housing prices are stabilizing, and the average American's dollar just doesn't go as far as it has for the last five or so years. $600 plus a game plus applicable sales tax is a huge gift. Sony is banking on thses holiday sales, and right now it looks like a gamble.

I know my parents have never spent anywhere near that much on me for any gift. They bought me a NES for Christmas when I was 9 or 10, but it sure wasn't $600. Since then, every video game and console I've owned I've pretty much bought for myself.

Well, not THAT many parents bought Xbox 360s last Christmas. I mean, there were only 400,000 at launch, and most of them ended up being bought by the people who camped out in front of the store, only a handful of which, I think, were parents. I mean, there are something like...45 million PS2s, 15-18 million Xboxes and about 8 million Game Cubes sold in America. Thus far, there've probably been like...2 million Xbox 360s sold. Tops. The majority of people are still in the current gen, and soon, there's gonna be a scramble to buy an Xbox 360, and/or a Wii, and/or a PS3.

Once again, it's gonna depend on who has the games, and how many units are available.

spudlyff8fan said:
You know what? The SNK Neowave cost $600 in 1992. It sold millions in Japan and had new, great games coming out on it all the way until 2003. They were, and still are a pretty obscure company. Sony is established, popular and has bigger, more high-profile games. They'll be fine.

Gaming culture was different back then. The Japanese market was different back then. It was all the rage to be able to play arcade quality (or better) games in the old days. It’s different now. Gaming is more mainstream, and $600 for a console doesn't fit right.

Yea i would and am. PS3 is going to be, matter of fact it is, the strongest system. Just cuz the launch games look just as good as the 360 doesn't mean its gonna stay that way. Playstation's game developers usually takes a while to get use to what the the playstaion can do, so after like a half a year u'll really see the difference in the systems. Plus i love being one of the first ppl in my hood to have something new... Harlem World !!