PS3 New Controller

shysta

Registered
Apr 27, 2006
Chicago,IL
ps3_controller_thumb001.jpg

The PS3's controller now looks roughly like a Dual Shock 2. The size and button placement seems identical. But there are a handful of key differences. You'll feel right at home when you pick it up, but this controller has definitely evolved.

For starters, it's wireless and startlingly lightweight. The Bluetooth device has a mini-USB plug on it, presumably for charging. The L2 and R2 triggers are analog and feel quite nice. There's a new central button that has the PlayStation logo on it. It doesn't seem to be functional, but it seems like a likely spot for some sort of "home" or "menu' button.

The biggest change is inside the controller. There are motion-sensing gyroscopes inside the controller that will detect tilting as well as raising and lowering. We get the feeling that wii've seen this in another upcoming console, but we'll save that discussion for message boards or something. Warhawk is one of the games that supports the tilt sensor, and it feels surprisingly tight and easy to use. Flying the plane by tilting the controller is very intuitive.

One thing you won't find in this new controller is force feedback. The rumble feature was said to interfere with the motion sensing devices. Sony's Phil Harrison even went so far as to tell us that "rumble was last generation, movement is this generation."

We also managed to bump into Criterion's Alex Ward at Sony's grand unveiling, and he said he was really excited about the controller, saying that he "can really see how it fits in his games." We imagine a Burnout game can't be too far behind.

So if you wanted to be a cynic, you could say that this is a wireless PS2 controller with analog triggers like the Xbox, a central guide button like the Xbox 360, and internal motion sensors like the Wii. But what's probably most important is that the controller feels pretty nice and already seems to work well.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149586.html

The motion sensors in the DualShock 3 are just gyroscopic accelerometers. Like in the nunchuck segment of the Wii-mote. It just has tilt sensitivity. You wouldn't be able to swing a raquet or a sword or throw a football or aim a weapon with the DS3, but you would with the Wii-mote. DS3 as a motion sensing controller is about 20% effective when compared to Wii-mote.

meh..I'm not all that crazy about that feature they stole from Wii. I'm just glad they stuck with the original design. And they even copied that button in the middle like for a menu or something. Kind of reminds me of this picture.

sonythief8tv.jpg

Oh yeah. They stole it from the Wii. They DEFINITELY DIDN'T JUST USE THE SAME ABSTRACT IDEA FROM DOZENS OF ARCADE GAMES THAT USED THE EXACT SAME TECHNOLOGY THAT PRE-DATES THE 90s! No, no, they ripped it off from Nintendo! And I'm sure they came up with it all by themself.

Love that picture. :p Anyway, yeah, the Wii controller is still superior. I don't know for sure if Sony stole the idea (they sure went back to the drawing board after the initial boomerang controller and unveiling of the Wii controller), but they must've thought it would take some of the steam out of Nintendo.

Again, the Sony DS3 has only 20% or so of the functionality of the Wii-mote. Whether they ripped it off or not, it doesn't hold a candle.

Spuds, calm down and clarify a point for me. I was unaware that any arcade games used gyroscopic accelerometers. Could you remind me which ones did?

3d Tank used tilt-based gameplay, as did many standalone handhelds that came out way back when by companies like Tiger had a built in sensor to detect the angle the unit was held at like the millions of tamagotchi knockoffs that were used for various things. There was even a game made by Hasbro for Pokemon where you had to capture pokemon by making one, two three or even four lights hit the center, hold it there, and press a button to capture pokemon that I owned (it was fun for a while, but got boring). There was even a Wonderswan game that did this. Trust me. Tilting is not anything new.

Fair enough! But you have to admit it seems like a last minute hack, especially because the rumble feature was cut to make room for the motion sensors (you'd think rumble and motion sensing would go well together, and that it would be a mistake to have the latter without the former).

Who really cares anyway, if it can improve games to come that is all that should matter.

I hate that picture. Analog stick isn't a genius idea, it's an innovation that comes along with the transition from 2D to 3D. Who gives a crap about rumble anyway. They STOLE the 3rd party developers? That is just dumb. So because they decided to make games for Sony instead that means Sony stole them. I won't even touch that Goldeneye thing. The only thing they even holds weight is the rumble comment, and seriously who cares.

All I see are comments from people like "Wow Sony has sunk so low" or this that and the other thing. It's about the gamessss and nothing else.

ANYWAY. Don't fix what ain't broken. It works for me.

Last edited:
eh, not very impressed. I agree with the "i it's not broke don't fix it" philosophy though. I mean there was nothing really wrong with the PS2 controller. The XBOX controller needed to be changed and they did a good job with the 360 design. Nintendo is just plain out there and I think that I have to wait and see it for myself to make a decision.

Sony even stole the design of the boomerang controller from Microsoft and Logitech. The original controller was for PC back in 1999...and if I can find the link I'll post it up.

You mean they "stole" the controller design they aren't even using anymore?

Oh, well these guys did it first so clearly Nintendo stole the motion sensitivity function from them!

I am thoroughly relieved to see this design as the final PS3 controller. When the images of the system first started popping up online I was completely freaked out by the "grappling hook / Bat-a-rang" design for the controller and not only hoped and prayed that it would be changed but cursed Sony for such a ridiculous concoction. Thank you Sony, for your rational turnaround.

It did look pretty stupid.... but hey they could list "Fully functional boomerang" as one of its features.

Practicality >>> Aesthetics

LOL. First analogue sticks, then rumble, now free movement!!?!?!? Sony just rips off Nintendo. I am shocked they didn't show us a game featuring a German Welder named Fredo and his brother Hans!!!!

Rip off artists.