Potty Mouths

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
I've been noticing an increase in the amount of F-Bombs (and yes, I have been guilty of a barely censored F-Bomb myself) and various derogatory terms on MG. As has been mentioned, there are kids here sometimes. But not only that, there are undoubtedly many people here who wish to participate in a respectful, friendly community.

I'm not offended by most of it, but I do grow tired of it. Anybody else feel the same way?

Not as bad as it could be I guess. I don't really have that much of a problem with it to begin with as long as it's not in every post or every other post by a person.

well im not offened by it....using words is a colorful way of expressing somthing.....per listen to one of my many mentors, George Carlin, great man, curses are only words, its what people apply them to, that make them bad....like....please dont get mad at me for dropping the f-bomb.... fuck you or sumthin...but if they say somthing like (and please dont get mad at me for dropping the f-bomb) i took the fucking thing out carfully, but still the piece of shit broke......translation...i took the broke/bad/horrible thing out carfully, but still the junk/garbage/fragile thing broke.......see not that bad....you just gotta read between the lines...using curses dont necessarily means having a potty mouth, unless u use it constanly by yelling at other people, such as fuck you...etc...using them is a colorful way of expressing ur thoughts.....once again please dont get mad at me for using the f-bomb, just trying to prove a piont..

Hey, kids, swear words are bad. A good writer can avoid using them altogether (it's what I strive to be--often miss the mark, but I keep trying XD). I try to avoid using them, but when I get really super-angry a few f-bombs and other assorted fireworks will fly.

As for the kiddies on the forum, as heartless as this may sound, we might as well not even bother censoring our language what with all the crazy business on the radio and television. The internet certainly doesn't help either (seriously, it's like an instant innocence eraser). I think we might as well go on with the cursing and swearing like sailors under the crude opinion of: "if they don't hear it from us, they'll hear it from someone else." Sad, but true.

only you can give make a word's meaning deemed bad, its just perseption.

the only thing that matters is what they use the curse for....if its for an insult then its bad....but if they try to explain somthing colorfully when pissed, lol, and its not directed at a person then its really not bad

Personally, I will say that I do not like cussing, I do not condone it, I find it a very bad example for children, and I won't allow my children to do it, nor hang out with people who continually do.... it doesn't blast my soul and send me running when it happens, as long as it's occasional, but I very seriously find it abhorrent....

and bravehearts, you're excused, lol (j/m)

oh, sorry, and a note I forgot to add.... the "if they dont hear it from you, they will from someone" excuse isn't sufficient in my opinion..... you're here to be an example for someone.... the youth pastor and the adults who tend to the youth ministry at my church serve as examples for the children that go there... they show that just because it is flowing through the media, it doesn't belong there, nor anywhere.... don't make excuses nor try to find loopholes; the discipline must come from within yourself or you will find discipline in other areas very hard to find

I agree with braveheart, especially when typing and you want to make sure something noticed to people who skim, and to make sure people know you feel strongly about what you said since you cant have a tone of voice and ! sometimes doesnt cut it. Good books will include fowl words in the same sense and to give the character speaking an accent or difference from the monotone type of talking plain words make. Mark Twain is a good example.

I believe that if you can not intelligently express yourself and what on your mind without the use of cusswords, you shouldn’t post…

Also, what bothers me the most is the use of cut-down words, example: using “u” instead of “you” really ticks me off… Are people becoming that lazy ?

Peace,

"****"......."****".......Ok, now that that's out of my system....Thanks for all you guys input and we here at MyGamer are continuing "to fight the good fight"....I know most are new to our website.....and we have a different style than most.....If you're going to do that, keep it to a minimum....Trust me, i've read some of the lengthier posts and they didn't haven't an F-Bomb in there....So, thanks for everyone's input and we'll see you on the forums :meditate:

OP3 NinjaMan said:
I believe that if you can not intelligently express yourself and what on your mind without the use of cusswords, you shouldn’t post…

Also, what bothers me the most is the use of cut-down words, example: using “u” instead of “you” really ticks me off… Are people becoming that lazy ?

Peace,

I totally agree with you. Something about a flurry of cuss words seems to take away from any intellectual conversation you may be having, or maybe it's just me. I'm not too bothered by the use of internet slang, although I do get frustrated when it gets a bit too excessive.

quote-I believe that if you can not intelligently express yourself and what on your mind without the use of cusswords, you shouldn’t post…

Peace,--Unquote

Well, most often when your not talking to an intelectuals talking intellugently doesnt work. So throwing a curse in the sentence when you need them to listen is needed. O n' bout da cut dwn words, i dont mind unless its reely bad. A u here in there doesnt matter,and technically we're being lazy in the first place sitting here on our computers.

Free speech is a beautiful thing - depending on usage, the same words can make the difference between a genius and a fool.

A word can onlt be vulgar in the proper - or maybe improper - context, so choose your words carefully, m'friends.

Or in this case, drop the bombs only where effective or necessary.

Dammit.

General Wiesemakes a good point, we are lazy sitting here on the computers. You know there was a time when people who wanted to discuss daily life and general discussions had to get to gether in a group at some point to do it.

Um, I'm trapped at work with nothing to do between calls and I don't control when those happen. So, I'm actually being productive.

You know, in college when someone was ranting with a vocabulary that consisted mainly of four-letter words, my friends and I jokingly said "hmmm, must be an English major". I still pretty much feel the same way. The more creative means of insulting, exclaiming, or simply speaking are funnier and tend to catch someone's attention more.

Darth_Jonas said:
Um, I'm trapped at work with nothing to do between calls and I don't control when those happen. So, I'm actually being productive.

You know, in college when someone was ranting with a vocabulary that consisted mainly of four-letter words, my friends and I jokingly said "hmmm, must be an English major". I still pretty much feel the same way. The more creative means of insulting, exclaiming, or simply speaking are funnier and tend to catch someone's attention more.

True dat nigga