Playstation Move

OriginalGman

Registered
Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
With some real information about Sony's new motion controller finally released, what do you guys think? The Wii Remote likeness is obvious, but it looks to do everything the Wii promised it would be able to do, much better. I feel like I've seen pretty much everything the Wii has to offer, but with a much more precise motion controller I think Sony has the potential to create some very unique experiences outside of the gimmicky shooter and party games.

Personally, I'm more excited about this than Project Natal. Just hope some developers out there have their hands on this and are coming up with something good.

I think that it looks nice enough, but I'm really not looking forward to this or Project Natal much. Some motion control games are fun, and it is implemented well in quite a few things, but right now, even on the Wii, it can still feel very gimmicky, especially considering all the rubbish that gets shoved out just because people want to move around when they play. Instead of immediately being excited about either new technology, I'd rather how well games use it instead of being hopeful just because it's being used in any given game (which I guess is pretty much what you said, although you were much more succinct about the whole thing).

I think while it looks really, really awesome and can offer a lot of unique experiences, I'm also on the USS Yawn. Indeed, even if you think on the Nintendo DS, the best games on Gamerankings, most of them are either ports, Pokemon or other games that just don't really use the touch screen. There are a few exceptions there in Elite Beat Agents, The World Ends With You and Kirby Canvas Curse...but that doesn't change the fact that the best games on the DS are, objectively, games that are basically designed as GBA games.

The Wii is, in a lot of ways, in the same boat. Every game on top of the Wii's rankings is either a "Wiimake", a game that very loosely uses the Wii controller or is Rock Band/Guitar Hero. It isn't until you get to the 83/100 rankings that you get to see those "experimental" games where people tried to find new ways to have you use the Wii remote. And yeah, even at the "B-" range, most of them are overrated and are just given that score for "trying to do something new".

So yeah, the Move is likely going to yield a lot of what the Wii or DS has yielded: occasional experiments and half-hearted "PS3makes". The real problem, though, is that it's hard to get excited when you already have a far superior input mechanism right there (your regular controller).

You're right, the tech itself is more exciting than the reality of what most developers will do with it. But after seeing that tech demo in Boston, and how the sword on the screen moved with my hand, I'm really itching for a well designed swordplay game. Red Steel just hasn't scratched the itch, and Twilight Princess's Wii controls were pretty disappointing. I want to see some serious lightsaber on lightsaber action.