Playing to Win.

He doesn't say that you should go in and make fun of the newbies. He's saying that you should not complain about somebody who is playing better than you. You should try and become better so that you can beat him, who was above you.

When you say that somebody shouldn't go in and beat everybody, then you're saying that he should just not play as well. When you get beaten, there are two things you can do. You can think about how you lost and how he beat you and learn from it, or you can complain about the other player and quit. You can become better at fighting games, even when you lose every damn time. ESPECIALLY if you're playing somebody better than you. Hell, I've learned combos and techniques JUST from playing with other people. Didn't even talk with them. And those other people weren't just BORN with the knowledge of the game engraved into their brain. They learned it too.

Like I said before, he should not sandbag and let other people win, nor should he just never play the game. But if he wants others to play with him, he can't just go in and humiliate people. There were times I would wait for someone to leave before I dropped my quarter. The match would end so quick I couldn't learn anything from them, or they were so obnoxious I couldn't stand hearing them gloat.

And he doesn't say to make fun of the newb, but he does disdain them. Besides that, he also disdains those who play for anything but blood. But I do think he's coming from a different perspective. If he's in a tournament he has every right to be tired of "scrubs". You don't go to Wimbledon just to hit a few balls.