PC-Ports - Should we demand better?

Miles Hansen

Registered
Dec 7, 2014
I've been noticing a trend these days: You are a big developer and you have a popular console game, and obviously you need to get on the PC-market as well right? Surely you, with your multi-billion dollar entertainment company, can afford to throw money at a team to make sure the PC-port is decent right?
Apparently not. The PC-Port of Assassins' Creed Unity is horrible, so is the Far Cry 4 PC-Port and a year ago I got royally screwed after buying Need For Speed Rivals and seeing that it wasn't even close to properly optimized for PC. Shouldn't we as PC gamers demand better? Or should we just accept that if we want to play the newest games, we have to buy consoles?

I'm not going to invest money into a console when PCs have the same, if not better hardware. Optimization is key, some ports like Valkyria Chronicles were done extremely well. Others like AC and Far Cry as you have said (notably Ubisoft titles) are terrible. I guess it depends on the dev.

Reactions: Tycoonie259
It's not a matter of if we should demand better. It's a matter of how we demand it. Even though most of us, the ones that actually care about the difference from 30 to 60 FPS, will not buy a game in protest, there will be many fanboys that will not only buy the game, but also pre-order, giving publishers like Ubisoft the impression that we like getting treated like shit.

We should demand better. I chose to build a custom PC for gaming. I chose this as my main source of entertainment. I chose Steam and others to buy my games legally and get my moneys worth. I didn't spend all this time and all that money to get a game that can't run correctly simply because the dev feels lazy or something to that point to make a decent port for PC.

I think a lot of PC gamers feel that way as well and why all if not most choose to vote with out wallets. My brothers all have consoles. I refuse to buy a console and pay $60+ for these or pay that same price for a new game on PC when the port is bad. After hearing about Unity, I was thinking about Rogue. After all this poor PC port, I won't bother.

When they choose to fix it, I will choose to buy. Until then, There are plenty others who are doing things right.

The best and only way to really demand something like this is with your wallet. These big companies only care about profits. If their shoddy PC ports are making them money, then they have no reason to spend more of their money on it. If they notice that people only buy good PC ports, then they'll change their attitude.

It sucks that it is as simple as that, but it's true. Nothing will change these developers' mind except money, so next time there is a bad port, don't buy the game, no matter how badly you want it. On top of that, I suppose you could just spread the word and get people to do the same. Eventually they will get the message.

I'm not really in the financial situation to be able to afford a console right now, and buying something just to dedicate to gaming is not really feasible in my situation. I bought an extra nice laptop. I can use if for school, coding, writing, and making presentations. Gaming just so happens to be one more thing I can do with it, hence why PC gaming is much more convenient for me.

I'm not going to buy a console just for the latest games. I'm very lucky to have some friends that were willing to lend me their console, like the PS4 to play The Last of Us. I think that we will just have to accept that console games bring developers more money, so PC is going to get the short end of the stick once in a while.

I think we should demand better. The PC is the ORIGINAL gaming system and should be treated with some respect. I bought Injustice for my laptop so long ago and I'm STILL unable to play it. They release patch after patch but it's just a bad port, plain and simple. PC gets the short end of the stick but it's the bases of a lot of the hardware out today.

We should demand better, and we should demand more in terms of portability. A lot of games are made for Windows, just because most of the gamers have Windows, which sucks since I use Linux and not all games work through Wine, while it's not that hard to port to Linux. Now I have to boot through my Windows partition if I'd like to play a game which isn't ported.

The thing is that the market is just all about the money (it always is), and since most gamers play games on consoles, the PC ports always seem to be unoptimized forcing you to buy a console if you want quality games. ( I tell you, it's a plot between the game dev's and console dev's to make PC ports worse so people buy consoles!)

Honestly, I think we should demand better for console ports. I'm not going to fault anyone or look at the past and complain about it, since it's happened: the PC Ports suck for most originally console-based games. I'm saying we should demand better because the gaming community is largely fan-based, those companies can't afford not to give their consumers what they want. Otherwise they'd start losing those millions.

Steam has portals for both Assassins' Creed and Far Cry. gaming companies follow the usual rich mans fantasy, that if I sit around long enough and wait with my hand out some poor person with all the brains and work ethic will provide a portal for me to make more money on my already wealthy business. With that being said Entertainment game design companies dont need to worry about huge fantastic in game portals with places like Steam, Garena, RGC and other P2P gaming portals. This also gives the already rich and lazy Developers the chance to sell their games to more people without the need of costly advertising. It seems to be yet another painfully truthful example of how the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep staying poor.

I think yes, we should demand better. Not everyone plays on PC with controller, so developers have to take into consideration the PC controls, and also, graphic options. Valkyria Chronicles did a great job, for example. Also the Final Fantasy games at least improved their graphic options via patches.
I think if devs don't spend the effort to provide at least basic control schemes and graphic options, then their game isn't worth buying on PC.

Short answer: Yes. We certainly should.

The fact that bad PC ports even exist is beyond me. They create these games using PCs so naturally you'd think the PC versions would be the best ones but... Apparently that's not the case.
I understand that part of this is partly because of pirating but the pirating exists for console as well. It's just a little more complicated.

I also feel like it doesn't bother me because the games that have bad PC ports are usually the big AAA titles and they kinda suck nowadays anyway. I enjoy the well made PC-only games or competative games more than these AAA's they pump out every year for money. Meh... I don't know.

I think it is fair to demand it since you are a paying customer. I think it's somewhat understandable that the ports are glitchy since a sitcom is probably a lot more complicated than we think, but that doesn't mean it has to be acceptable. If they keep churning out subpar products then you should simply just stop giving them money.

Yes, we definitely should. I'm not trying to be talk against consoles, but I think they are holding back the PC scene. Play on whatever makes you happy, that's fine by me, but the current console generation is really weak compared to a modern pc. You can build a PC for the same price that will run most games in 1080p and 60fps. I remember when the previous generation came out. Games looked amazing compared to the PC, now, they sometimes even look worse.
Big developers realized that there is a problem and they try to come up with silly excuses why their games run at 30fps and 792p.

We should demand better, infact I boycott any game that is gimped to console standards. I refuse to buy games that are console ports, and stay far away from any developers that are willing to destroy the PC version just to keep it on the same level. I'm looking at you Ubi Soft.

We should most definitely demand better, if not at the very least to further distance PC expectations form console. PC games in my opinion are of a higher standard and thus should be held to a higher standard, even ports. AC: Unity is a prime example, that port was so terrible, and they even had to hand out DLC for free to apologize for a terrible release.

There is nothing about Assassins´ Creed Unity that was done right, it is hard to fault them for messing up the port to PC when the console versions sucked also.

We definitely should demand better. I've chosen to hold off on buying games until they drop in price because of how buggy PC games are. I don't feel they're worth it if they aren't done right. I understand that the games were made for consoles, but we PC people are important too! Almost every gamer has a PC worthy of playing games; not every gamer has, or may even want, a console! I sure don't. I hate using controllers. :p If the price of the console wasn't so high, I might just learn to use a controller though. I don't want to spend $700 every year for the newest console and accessories when I have a PC that's more than capable of running it.

I've been noticing a trend these days: You are a big developer and you have a popular console game, and obviously you need to get on the PC-market as well right? Surely you, with your multi-billion dollar entertainment company, can afford to throw money at a team to make sure the PC-port is decent right?
Apparently not. The PC-Port of Assassins' Creed Unity is horrible, so is the Far Cry 4 PC-Port and a year ago I got royally screwed after buying Need For Speed Rivals and seeing that it wasn't even close to properly optimized for PC. Shouldn't we as PC gamers demand better? Or should we just accept that if we want to play the newest games, we have to buy consoles?
Console gaming has taking over and the investors/makers are putting their effort and money where the sells are. Everyone doesn't like PC gaming, Although I like them both, I'm sure it's a reason why console gaming is overall better in my opinion.