Paving way for the PS4

devilishomar

Registered
Nov 18, 2014
All those affiliated with PS4 are trying really hard for PS3 gamers to get a PS4. I'm really tempted to get a PS4 now that GTA V's First Person mode only works on next-generation consoles, which themselves have quite noticeable visual differences.

Do you think more and more games will start forcing features that are next-gen specific or will try to be compatible with older consoles as well?

I think (and hope) that instead of next-gen specific features, we'll just be seeing next-gen only games as production of last-gen games starts winding down. At this point there really isn't a reason not to at least have next-gen versions of games, something like Borderlands Pre-Sequel for example is just pure laziness.

I hope that games will start adding in next gen features to games to force gamers to switch over. If you are a true gamer, you have already switched over.

I had not realized that developers were going for a push on people to get onto the newer consoles, but I suppose it's only natural. I think for now they will still offer some games for the old consoles but I think by late next year it will slow down significantly and they will probably focus a lot more on the newer consoles exclusively.

Reactions: YunaKazama26
I think the production of games for PS3 and Xbox 360 gen would dwindle eventually as game devs would eventually move to work on the current tech/engine like Unreal 4.

Personally, this forced thing irks me. Seriously? They are desperate...for money. Add a feature to an already existing game but have it only playable on next gen consoles? Sounds like a mere cash grab to me. Even with visual improvements. If you don't have the game yet, it's fine. If you can't keep your old console, that's also fine and dandy but I guess to each his own and I respect that. If the game is an improvement also in gameplay/fixed issues then it's a win-win situation for the person. I also respect die hard fans as I'm one too. I have religiously bought every Tekken game Namco has released on different platforms over the years.

As for me, I would only join the next gen if I see new games, not another remaster or enhanced edition of an existing game. I didn't buy Revelations for PS3/Xbox just for Rachel Foley in Raid Mode because I already have the game on 3DS (with no Rachel). I bought Devil May Cry HD and FFX/FFX-2 HD (just for the Last Mission) because of the nostalgia factor and I was merely curious. It's different compared to the enhanced editions today because PS2 to PS3 had a huge leap in graphics compared to PS3 to PS4. Well almost because it still looks old school and sometimes you see that they didn't cleanup some parts (a RE2 and FF7 remake is another story). I didn't buy KH 2.5 Final Mix HD though because I already saw the new content on youtube and I still have my old copies (PS2 KH 1 and 2 and BBS on PSP). No new stuff storywise because we have KH3 on the way. I do think that the 1.5 and 2.5 collection is good for those newcomers to the series. In short, I won't buy Tomb Raider (2013) game again for my PS4 because I already have one on my PS3.

Last edited:
I hope that games will start adding in next gen features to games to force gamers to switch over. If you are a true gamer, you have already switched over.

I consider myself a gamer, but I don't have a PS4. But that may have something to do with the fact I don't a have an extra $400 laying around. However, I've been saving up lately! ;)

All those affiliated with PS4 are trying really hard for PS3 gamers to get a PS4. I'm really tempted to get a PS4 now that GTA V's First Person mode only works on next-generation consoles, which themselves have quite noticeable visual differences.

Do you think more and more games will start forcing features that are next-gen specific or will try to be compatible with older consoles as well?

Yes this happens every singe time a new console come out. They begin with better graphics and little by little they begin removing features from the older system and adding more to the newer system. Devs begin to shift focus to the newer better hardware and devote less time and money into the older ones. Its better when they just drop one and focus on the other because they games come out better.

Back in the day I use to think that game developers wanted to push the envelope and make better and more in depth games, but I have to face the reality that it's a money driven business. Making everyone buy the PS4 that has games that are unhackable at the moment would save them millions. The PS3 games can be downloaded and ripped.

I think some people will move to new systems, if the games are moving to a new console and also people may want new games which have new generation look. I think, they do want us to move on adding features that will appeal to buyers and we may try the console out instead of adding features to the current console. I would move, to next generation if the games on it are appealing and my sort of game and really worth the change.