Our are mobiles ruining the mobile gaming industry?

DwarvenWarfare

Registered
Mar 22, 2015
With mobile handsets becoming more and more powerful, they are able to run more sophisticated and graphic demanding games. Are they making PlayStation Vitas, Nnintendo DSs' and other mobile gaming devices less and less popular?

No, I don't think they are. At least not yet anyway. Most gamers I know would prefer to play on their PS3/PS4 or X-Box One/360 if they can if they are at home, but many people do also use their smartphones or tablet PC's for convenience if they're in a situation where using a console isn't appropriate. Having said that, I think women tend to play on smartphones and tablets a lot more than men do. I can see mobile devices taking over in the end though, with the way they are going in terms of specifications and capability.

I think eventually, mobile devices that are purely built core gaming will be a thing of the past. With smart phones and tablets getting meor and more powerful, I can't see the point of carrying round another device strictly for gaming.
Sales of hand held consoles has already taken a drop and I can see this trend continuing.

I think eventually, mobile devices that are purely built core gaming will be a thing of the past. With smart phones and tablets getting meor and more powerful, I can't see the point of carrying round another device strictly for gaming.
Sales of hand held consoles has already taken a drop and I can see this trend continuing.
I think you are right on the money. The sales data certainly indicates this too. Gamers are buying fewer games for their handheld gaming consoles with both Nintendo and Sony seeing a drop in digitally purchased and downloaded games as well as physical copies of games. All handheld gaming console sales dropped a reported 27% from Quarter 2 of 2013 to Quarter 2 of 2014.

Google Play gaming revenue was up over 70% in 2014 from 2013 and the Apple App store wasn't far behind. By contrast, handheld gaming dropped 28%.

Hand held gaming for me as always been, and always will be inferior to console gaming. I'd imagine that many people would just rather wait till they got home to play a game, rather than play it on the go, in a crowded place on a tiny screen. Its much easier to pop your headphones in and listen ro music than it is to concentrate on playing a game.

I agree. Having to carry multiple devices with you (phone and a hand held system) is less than ideal and feels like a waste, especially nowadays with the screen size of mobile phones getting bigger and bigger.

No, I don't think so. Gamers will always prefer a console over their phones, the gameplay and arguably the graphics are way better on consoles. Besides, even if console sales go down, the market for mobile gaming is HUGE and more than makes up for the losses. People are owning more and more phones each day, which means that the market for mobile games is growing rapidly as well. If companies can't keep up, then they deserve to be left in the dust in my opinion.

No, I don't think so. Gamers will always prefer a console over their phones, the gameplay and arguably the graphics are way better on consoles. Besides, even if console sales go down, the market for mobile gaming is HUGE and more than makes up for the losses. People are owning more and more phones each day, which means that the market for mobile games is growing rapidly as well. If companies can't keep up, then they deserve to be left in the dust in my opinion.

I think mobile phones somehow affect the popularity of other gaming consoles as they are more convenient and pretty handy. But if you're a true blue games, I think you will always prefer the real gaming consoles.

No. People buy these consoles for exclusives. For example, you buy a DS for exclusives like Mario.
Smartphones do not and will not, for a long time, run games like Monster a Hunter 4 Ultimate.
Also Vitas are killing themselves. Our phones aren't. Sony sees little potential in these now.
Also, the DS, (Not the Vita), has the main purpose of games, unlike our phones.
And considering Nintendo could sell 44 million copies, they aren't going anywhere.
Nintendo is releasing a new console, and just released a new version of the 3DS.

No. People buy these consoles for exclusives. For example, you buy a DS for exclusives like Mario.
Smartphones do not and will not, for a long time, run games like Monster a Hunter 4 Ultimate.
Also Vitas are killing themselves. Our phones aren't. Sony sees little potential in these now.
Also, the DS, (Not the Vita), has the main purpose of games, unlike our phones.
And considering Nintendo could sell 44 million copies, they aren't going anywhere.
Nintendo is releasing a new console, and just released a new version of the 3DS.

Competition is recommended in every field gaming inclusive. Mobile gaming has made PC game companies to be extra creative to catch up with the competition. Some PC games can't be compared to mobile games and vice versa.

I think the difference between both will soon be minuscule. Right now Sony is looking into using cloud computing to bring gaming to tablets and TVs instead of having to depend on specific consoles, from what I know, but it may be a bit far away since internet speeds still aren't as great as they should be as of now.

I don't think so right now. Its not really the same thing, in my opinion. There are different games on say my iPad then there are on my Xbox. When it gets to where I can plug a controller into my iPad and play Assassins Creed, that's when it will make a difference.

No. No matter how better they get, I don't think any true gamer would replace his playstation, PC or Xbox with a smartphone. That just doesn't cut it.

No, I don't think so. While it's true that mobile gaming is becoming more popular and cell phones can now run more advanced games, handhelds like the Nintendo DS are also becoming more advanced! And I think they're a lot easier to use than a phone.

I don't necessarily think mobile gaming is ruining the gaming industry per say, but they are certainly making it easier to game. It doesn't seem like people really go to the stores anymore to actually buy a game, especially when the game is available for download on your mobile device. Let's face it, with the advances in technology, mainly when it comes to smartphones, the ability to play the hardcore games is becoming easier by the minute. I can play Wow on my phone just as good as I can on my laptop, which is great for on the go travel, but for me, it's going to be more enjoyable on my laptop.

I don't think that they are the primary "runners" of the mobile gaming industry, how ever I can say that they also play a role in it. More and more products are being made, more specifically mobile phones that are better in adept in gaming. An example of this is the razor phone which has amazing specifications that is really built towards a phone that can handle mobile games, another example is the ROG phone by Asus, it's like a better phone than the razor phone in my opinion, but these phones are specifically built to handle heavy graphics and are able to process and is able to somehow compete with other hand held gaming devices. My final thought is that mobile phones aren't the "bigs" in the mobile game industry but they are getting there.