on your own?

pwarbi

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
UK
Playing online these days is becoming more and more common with the aid of super fast broadband etc. Has that affected the way you play video games?
I remember when there used to be a room full of friends all watching and waiting for their turn and it was the social aspect that people enjoyed as well as the game itself.
While them days aren't over and gone, I do think more and more people are deciding to play against their friends online. While this is the same as before from the game playing aspect, probably better as you don't have to wait for your turn on the controller! I do feel that the social element is going out of gaming and that's a big shame.

Agreed, people's notion of gaming together nowadays is just going online to play LoL/DotA/Call of Duty as a team. It's not as often that people actually physically meet up to game together anymore, which is a real pity.

You're right, I think with this current generation of consoles companies are promoting online multiplayer over local way more, and yeah that is a little sad. I don't think the spirit of it is completely gone though, as everyone still enjoys playing with friends online, and a lot even make new friends playing games they like online that they later meet in person.

Me and my friends try to set up a LAN party a few times a year. They are always a lot of fun, just gaming for a few days with some good food and drinks. Other than that, online gaming makes is fun with friends as well, as you get to see how your friend group does versus others. In the same room you often only play vs your friends, so its definitely fun to match up against other groups.

That's very true. I think everything should be in moderation. You should not only play games online 24 hours a day, it's also good to have social life and bond with your friends over coffee or whatsoever.

I've never been a big fan of playing with other people online. I don't know why, but I find it a bit of a hassle. I usually play alone because most of my friends aren't into video games anymore. But I think that's cool because you really get into the game when you're all by your lonesome.

Thankfully me and my little group of friends all have gaming laptops set aside for when we get together to either play tabletop games such as Dungeons and Dragons, or Savage Worlds, or do a quick game of LoL, Dota2, or just chill and play some EvE online together.

I have almost always played games by myself. When online games came out, they didn't interest me at all and they still don't. It was fun having bonding time with my sister just playing with the two of us. Now, I only really play casual games since I don't have a tv at the moment.

Companies do seem to be pushing the online aspect of games more and more. Sometimes it's as though the actual game itself isn't an issue, as long as the online version is great, then the rest is more of a second thought.

And when your paying the sort of prices we're paying now, that shouldn't be the case.

Well online is always more convenient, but then again, having the people physically in the room is always better. I have a group of friends that usually don't play a lot of videogames, if any, but whenever we get the chance, we will gather up at a friend's house and play on the PlayStation, sometimes we would even set up LAN parties. It's really what gaming is all about, but the online aspect of it is way more convenient.

I can say that having a faster internet connection and with online games has changed the way how I game. I usually play single player offline games but now I have been playing online games for over a year now and I can't remember the last time a played an offline game.

One can play online games cheaply or for free. I like it since I can play against a large online audience. You get more options and more suggestions for new games. You can also compete for money or just for fun, making online games a good choice.