On which side of game mods (modding) do you fall?

PJeigh

Registered
Aug 17, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Just curious - are you for or against game mods?

If "for" - what is an acceptable vs. unacceptable mod? Do you even make any distinctions?

Also, with the recent ESRB rating changes of some games due to mods, have you changed your opinion "for" to "against?"

I'm for game modding, but I'm not doing any of it, and don't play PC games in the first place. I don't care what the ESRB says or does, though.

Let the modders mod on, says I. But also, I'm like Spudly. I don't play PC games much at all. The rating change issue is an interesting one.

I don't know all the facts, but I would think that the game developer/publisher should not be held responsible for what modders do to the game. Again, it is the gamer's (or the gamer's parents') responsibility to control what is on the gamer's computer. One level of control is monitoring ratings when purchasing games. Another level is restricting mods. Maybe a seperate rating could be applied to the mods. Encourage modders to register their mods and get rated, then encourage parents to restrict their kids to using only registered and appropriately rated mods.

Mod on I say. I have neither the time or saavy to accomplish what those guys accomplish with the mods but I think it's super cool and frequently use them when I play Call of Duty. I tried back in the day with Duke Nuken 3D but it was complete disaster and I will speak nomore about it.

I don't know if I'm thinking the same mods, but HAVE ANYONE OF YOU GUYS PLAYED HALO 2 LATELY!!!! Oh my god it's ridiculous how many of them there are in the game. What really makes me mad is that modders think they're good and talk shit after cheating to win. I can't tell you how many times I've been modded because I've been modded way to much. I mean when I finally got my 40 in team slayer(legitly- I'm pro) I got modded twice afterward and droped right back to a 39(I'm still extremely pissed off about). I seriously want a banned on all mods! Play the game it was made and don't cry if your not good at the game. Leave the game to the pros like me so I can get the levels I deserve.

He's talking about PC game mods that add extra content and suchlike.

Back on topic I'm all for them. If it allows people to enjoy games more then it's good.

Anyway I thought are ratings over in the US were just guidelines, as in everyone ignores them. I was never a real believer in age ratings for games.. if you're going to slap an 18 rating on a game where you command tiny troops, you may as well ban toy soldiers too. Also seems kinda silly to change an age rating because of content they could download, because if a young kid is on the internet they could see inappropriate stuff anyway... wouldn't have to be on a game.

What you're talking about is cheating really.

If you think it was bad that you were cheated out of your rank think about this
On this one game I should have been ranked 1st or 2nd overall. My rank? 38th. Basically everyone above me has either cheated or stat-padded or both. A whole bunch below me too..
I should have been 1st or 2nd for headshots. I'm 80th.
Also I was kicked / had the host disconnect over 1000 times.