Oldies Unite! Break out the Pong

Zyni

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
Any old folks hanging around here besides me? Pong was my first video game (if you can even call it that). Look at what we have now and compare. LOL

I remember playing Pitfall Harry on Atari in my buddy's basement! One of my earliest memories is playing shareware Doom on my grandfathers PC. When I was a teenager I found an old Windows 95 PC in my basement, got it up and running and discovered Castle Wolfenstein installed on it, spent hours playing that. I was always jealous of my friends with SEGA and Nintendo; I didn't get my own system until Playstation. Is it just me or were video games much harder back in the day?

Actually, I hated pong on the Atari 2600. You had to have that special controller for it too. And that was the very few games that used those controllers.

Josh, I'm talking about the original Pong, before other games existed. lol.

Anybody remember those old handheld football games? They were cool at the time.

Reactions: Kleineganz
Josh, I'm talking about the original Pong, before other games existed. lol.

Anybody remember those old handheld football games? They were cool at the time.
Yeah when you mentioned Pong, I was thinking of the *original* as well. I think I was only 3-4 years old when I played it at my uncle's apartment back in the day, but I definitely remember playing it. However I just looked it up, and that original Pong (the home console version anyway) was actually developed by Atari and released in 1975.

vtech-du-nintendo-made-in-china-ME3050316581_1.jpg

I have never played this. Was this the one on 'That 70s Show" ? If anybody watched that show with Topher Grace. Anyway this thing came out a decade before I was born if 1975 is correct. :O

I have never played this. Was this the one on 'That 70s Show" ? If anybody watched that show with Topher Grace. Anyway this thing came out a decade before I was born if 1975 is correct. :O
First of all yes, 1975 is correct. I looked it up to make sure. On top of that I was born in 1971, so as I said I would have been about 3-4 when I first played it. No idea if it was on "That 70s Show," I never watched it.

It probably is the one on the 70s show...

Yeah, I was 8 when it came out. Man, I went from "Ah, the good old days," to "Dang, I really am a geezer." lol

Look at that thing! Imagine being cool for having one. haha

I never got to play pong on the original consoles but I did get to play some modern versions of it on PC, also there have been many other variations on it and I got to play those two. I especially liked the one player game wherein you only have to bounce the ball to break bricks at an angle.

I never got to play pong on the original consoles but I did get to play some modern versions of it on PC, also there have been many other variations on it and I got to play those two. I especially liked the one player game wherein you only have to bounce the ball to break bricks at an angle.
You must mean Breakout! I also loved that game. It starts out deceptively simple, but definitely keeps getting more difficult. I don't think I ever beat that game.

Any old folks hanging around here besides me? Pong was my first video game (if you can even call it that). Look at what we have now and compare. LOL
Another oldie here! Pong was my first introduction into video games. I still have very fond memories of playing this back in the day. To think, back then, I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Video games (and technology) sure have come a long way since then.

Damn I'm so jealous, I've never played the original Pong (yet) and probably won't do so in my life, I haven't even played on an original famicom or super famicom. It sucks to be a 90's kid, we had gameboys, so it isn't that bad, yet still I would have loved it if I were a 70's kid, those old games. That's also the reason why I play a lot of older games (like Super Mario World) on emulators using the original controllers over USB (just played Super Mario World for about an hour :) )

You must mean Breakout! I also loved that game. It starts out deceptively simple, but definitely keeps getting more difficult. I don't think I ever beat that game.
Yes, that's the one! I'm guessing it's derived from Pong since they have very similar mechanics and I personally like it a bit more since there is a bit more variation in it than just two guys passing the ball back to each other. Both are fun though.

Yes, that's the one! I'm guessing it's derived from Pong since they have very similar mechanics and I personally like it a bit more since there is a bit more variation in it than just two guys passing the ball back to each other. Both are fun though.
Breakout was influenced by Pong, although conceptualized and designed by different people. In fact, Steve Wozniak, who went on to co-found Apple, was responsible for building and designing the game, after it was conceived by Nolan Bushnell and Steve Bistrow in 1976.

Reactions: Goldie
Breakout was influenced by Pong, although conceptualized and designed by different people. In fact, Steve Wozniak, who went on to co-found Apple, was responsible for building and designing the game, after it was conceived by Nolan Bushnell and Steve Bistrow in 1976.
Wow I learn something new everyday. I never even realized that the Apple inventor was behind this massively addictive and classic game. Its kept me busy a lot especially back when there still weren't as many options in entertainment. I didn't know I had the Woz to thank for that.

Reactions: Kleineganz

I actually had pong when I was very very young.. there weren´t even controllers, both people playing had a dial on the console that you needed to turn. I still remember fighting over who got to sit on the left side of the consule, because they were at a huge advantage since the person sitting on the right hand side had to either play with their left hand, or reach across your body with your right hand.

Now that, my friends, is old school

Ah, I see someone pictures it above. Mine was similar to that, but I think all black. As I decribed above, even if you are both young kids playing, it was impossible for a right-handed person to play on the right hand side of it without being at a disadvantage.