Older systems?

JessiFox

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
Just wondering everyone else's take on this, when you get the newest system, do you hang onto your older ones? I still like the nostalgic fun of some older games, so I tend to hold onto mine, but I've been hearing more people lately who seem to just want to get rid of them altogether once they get something new.

The sad part is I usually master a game and then give it away to my nephews. After that I don't know where those games have gone to. I wish I held on to them.

I hold onto all my old games/consoles and even go out and get older ones I might not have owned previously. I really like having it as a sort of collection type thing (though some older games are super expensive due to how rare they are to find.) But yeah, I can't imagine getting rid of one of my older systems just because I got a new one, I spent good money on my last one and know I can still have good times with it later down the road.

I never was able to hold on to my old consoles because we moved a fair amount until recently so they usually got lost or probably given away by the time I moved but with these newer consoles like the ps3 that I have now, I'm determined to keep it even when I get the newer consoles.

I used to hold on to them. That was much easier when I still lived with my parents and was younger. They had enough space to hold all that stuff. Now that I've moved out, I still do have the space, but I honestly hate having to deal with packing/unpacking. I still rent apartments and won't be settling down for another 5 years, so that means every year or so I have to pack and unpack these consoles that I barely touch any more. It's honestly more of a headache than it is worth.

There is no reason to hang on to something that is outdated. Only game I brought for my old gen consoles is Dark Souls 2 as it didn't arrive on the new consoles. Why would someone want to keep playing the same games over and over again when we know that there are less chances of a game coming to old-gen consoles now.

There is no reason to hang on to something that is outdated. Only game I brought for my old gen consoles is Dark Souls 2 as it didn't arrive on the new consoles. Why would someone want to keep playing the same games over and over again when we know that there are less chances of a game coming to old-gen consoles now.

There's only a handful of games I don't mind playing over and over. Most of them are multiplayer, which usually helps a game from being stale. But no matter how much you game on your old consoles, chances are, there are still quite a few fantastic games you missed on them. I know I played a ton of great games on my PS3, but I still know I'm missing a ton. So that's definitely one reason to keep old systems. You'll most likely never play through the entire library (even if you just play the good games). That's the beauty of it.

Now that new consoles don't have BC, that's an even bigger reason to keep old systems. But I don't like to horde stuff, so there are times when you just have to let go.

I still have my Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and N64, but anything after that I don't hold onto. It's probably because I want to hold onto the stuff I played as a kid. The rest (xbox, playstation) had good resale value when the newer generation came out.

I usually don't let go of my older system until someone offers me at least half of what I paid for it. However, I don't think I'll ever give up my PlayStation 2 or my latest N64 to anyone for any reason with the exception of illness or dying. I know they aren't collector's editions but their the only two I've ever managed to keep this long.

I usually don't throw away my old systems, because sometimes I want to play games on the system that aren't on the new ones. From time to time my friends and I use the old systems to relive the good times that we had playing the system. Also, they might be very valuable in the future, who knows.

It would be crazy for me to get rid of either the 360 or PS3 as I still have numerous games to play on them. Having said that, even if I had finished the backlog that I have for both of them, I'd still keep them. I have an Atari 2600 and the Nintendo NES system in my possession, so there is no letting go of consoles for me.

I do want to sell the NES though, I rarely used it when it was useful, so it's pretty much mint!

I usually hold on to my older consoles because they have a lot of sentimental value to them. Usually if I were to sell an old console I would only get a tiny fraction of the amount of money I paid for it. I'd rather keep it and play it every now and then just for nostalgic value. In my opinion that is much more valuable.

I'll keep or sell. It depends on how I feel about everything. Sometimes I just forget to sell. There is some value in holding on to systems and certain games. Some games will be worth money later. If you don't believe me just ebay some prices for games. I learned of this when I went to sold my first PS3. I had the one the could play all the games. I was shocked to see it sell for that much!!!

There's only a handful of games I don't mind playing over and over. Most of them are multiplayer, which usually helps a game from being stale. But no matter how much you game on your old consoles, chances are, there are still quite a few fantastic games you missed on them. I know I played a ton of great games on my PS3, but I still know I'm missing a ton. So that's definitely one reason to keep old systems. You'll most likely never play through the entire library (even if you just play the good games). That's the beauty of it.

Now that new consoles don't have BC, that's an even bigger reason to keep old systems. But I don't like to horde stuff, so there are times when you just have to let go.

Not having BC is one of the biggest drawbacks of consoles. That's why I prefer playing on PC rather than on any other platform. I completely agree with you. Sometimes you just have to let it go. There are too many games you are not playing if you are playing the same old games again and again.

For sentimental reasons, I hold onto my old consoles. My Playstation 2, Family Computer and Sega Megadrive Genesis and their games are still working to this day. However, I rarely play with them anymore these days because I do have a PS3 and Xbox360. I don't think I can sell them or discard them even if I get a PS4 in the future. I still have my PS1 and its games even if it's not functioning anymore. It's about being a collector and the nostalgic value. I plan to have an arcade at home and a mini museum of my gaming stuff (figures, etc) and put all of my consoles there in the future.

I always hold onto my old ones for as long as I can. Primarily for wanting to replay an old game that I wouldn't be able to play in a new system (Whether is because of no backwards compatibility or there's simply no digital version of it.) I always get one of those sudden urges out of nowhere every once in awhile, so it helps having the old console there ready to be used again. It works for me.

I always hang onto my older systems. Mainly because I like to go back and play some of the classic games that never end up on remakes. :D

I have kept almost all of the consoles and games I have owned over the years with the exception of my N64 and original Gameboy. I donated my N64 to charity a number of years ago and I ended up giving my Gameboy away to my niece.

I guess some may consider it collecting while others my term it as hoarding. Either way, I like to keep a hold of my games and systems not just for the sentimental value but also because I do still like to go back from time to time to play them.

I never held on to my older systems, but I wish I had. I look back at all the games and systems I had and wish I could go back in time to capture those memories. There was nothing like running home from school, and playing your favorite game. I just don't get the same feelings as I did now as I did back then. If anyone has any older systems collecting dust please keep them, you will regret it later if you don't.

I usually hang on or pass it off to a family member. I don't see any point in getting a few dollars from gamestop and then watching them sell it for 10x as much as they gave me. There's no real reason to get rid of older systems other than just having more space.