Old School?

Hardcore

Registered
Apr 20, 2006
Albany, Georgia, USA
I've noticed that a lot of the posters here are quite young.

I was wondering if there are any old school gamers around? I've been gaming now for 26 years, and I've seen a lot. I own a 2600, 3DO, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and X360.

Define Old School .. .

I am 25 and I have been playing video games for at least 20 of those years. I first played an Atari that my parents got an garage sale, and our family got a NES when I was in 1st grade, and that is when I really got into gaming, so if tht makes me old school, then there is at least one.

spudly is closest.

My era began with Pong. My parents(father, specifilcally) bought a Sears Pong system when they were married in 1974. I was born in 1976. My indoctrination into gaming began with three systems - arcade systems my father owns, a heavy-sixer 2600 my uncle owns, and a TI-99 computer system. My greatest memories were of playing these old games, and I have yet to really recreate those days outside of emulation. Going back.

I've seen games during my life that people only see screenshots of. :)

I'm a youngin' and very green in comparison to many in video games (I picked up around PokéMon; embarrasing, but true), but I have gotten to experience lots of the games that were the heart and soul of this "old school" business. When I go over my boyfriend's house, we sometimes still fire up the Sega Genesis and have a go at Sonic, Shining Force (which I will finish some day), or Kid Chameleon. I also have a <sometimes> working NES that I luv the bejeezus out of... Maybe some of you old geezers can toss out some of your fave games, so I can give 'em a go :)

I'm old school, though not one of the legends who started at the very beginning. 2600 was my first gaming experience when I was 2.

I'm actually not as old as you guys, but I was actually quite behind the times for games, meaning I've played every major console ever. As far back as I can remember, I had an Atari 2600, and I liked Joust, Stampede, and Battletanks. I later got a Nintendo (probably in 1993 or 94) and played lots of Mario, Mario 3, Metroid and Duck Hunt. A couple years later, I got a Genesis. I played Lightning Force, Sonic 3, Mortal Kombat 1 and the Power Rangers fighting game (which was pretty damn good). A couple years later, I got a SNES and N64. On the SNES, I got into Killer Instinct and Mario All Stars. A while later, I got a PS1 (by then everyone had a PS2). I played a whole lot of Final Fantasy VIII (hence my name), and Final Fantasy VII, Marvel Super Heroes vs, Street Fighter. A year later, I got a PS2. I got Final Fantasy X off the bat, and MGS2 soon after. Since, though, my favorites have become MGS3 and Suikoden 3. Later I got a Cube and Xbox. And somewhere in the middle of that big story, I got a Colecovision, Sega Master System, and all the different Gameboys and a DS.

Got my first NES on March 22 1986 for my birthday. I still have it, although there is black electrical tape holding the power adapter together <3

My first system was a ColecoVision, believe it or not, and my first game was 'Smurfs'. Ahhhh, evil Gargamel...I will rescue Smurfette despite your white picket fences that kill Smurfs when merely touched and your hideous guard spiders!

After that, I mostly played the 2600 at my cousin's house (who lived conveniently nearby) and his NES years later.

I think my most hardcore moment though was when I was at a Pizza joint when I was a kid and kept plunking quarters into a 'Gauntlet' cabinet until I reached my 130th (give or take a few levels) randomly generated dungeon.

Born in 1975....been gaming for like 26 years....my fondest memory of an older game....would have to be Pong like the other guy said.....or maybe Tanks......now that took alot of skill back then.....and warped plenty of braincells back then

If you're talking about the same Tank game I was, it took not much skill. It boiled down to who hit first, and then he'd just wait until you stop spinning, then shoot again.

OH yeah, i forgot....the rebuttal to my rebuttal by Mr. Spuds....in detail, i meant, you did have to have skill in my house with me and two brothers.....'cause if one starting beating another in the game.....It would turn into an all-out Battle Royal after that.....So you had to keep your wits about you, to make sure you didn't get body slammed with controller in hand

I'm 32, so I've been hardcore since the Pong days. However..I was trumped 2 years ago at E3 when I met a guy (Yo Sterling...that's you man!) that was a 51 year old gamer. He's 53 now, and I haven't heard from him in quite some time, so give me a shout if you see this bud!

There was one arcade game I remember that I thought was the coolest thing ever. I think it was called Gorf, but I don't recall it ever being released on any system. If anyone has any leads on this rare, but goody...let me know! If I can LEGALLY play it again, I'd be in gamer heaven...

Thru all the years though...there's ONE system in particular that stood out to me, and led me to some of the best gaming moments of my life, though it also produced a TON of stinkers. The Sega CD. Thoughts of Lunar, Lunar 2, Vay, Eternal Champions and Snatcher bring tears to my eyes. The system sucked...was unreliable, and did more crappy FMV games than anything. But when a good game was done on it...it was done right! Most of them were by Working Designs (R.I.P).

As far as good NES games are concerned...if you never tried Bionic Commando..do so now. I have a feeling a remake is in the works soon. Some other lesser known titles that I thought were good:

Adventure Island
Caveman Games (hilarious for at least one play thru)
Deja Vu
Faxanadu
GhostBusters
The Goonies II
Wizards and Warriors
Maniac Mansion
R.C. Pro-Am Racing
Remote Control
Ring King
Rygar
Shadowgate
Spot
Super Dodge Ball
Star Force
Willow
World Championship Wrestling

Okay, TANK?!?! Do you remember how slow the tanks moved?!? How long it took to play one game? Come on.. Tank is in the SH!@ List.. Im 32 just like Huddy, and been around the gaming block a few times, so lets see what is the golden oldies in my blackbook of goodness..

RiverRaid
Pitfall
Asteroids
Zaxxon
Forbidden Forrest
Archon
Qbert

:)

Hey Huddy,

I remember playing a game called 'Gorf' on the old ColecoVision system. It was like Space Invaders, right? Instead of three barriers you were surrounded by a dome shield that protected you from the aliens, but you were also forced to shoot through it.

Maybe you can find the system and cartridge somewhere.

I was born in 84, so here goes the runthrough of my gaming life.

Some of my fondest childhood memories where spending quality time with my 2600 and the spiderman game. The game consisted of you controlling spiderman and climbing to the top of a skyscraper, the catch was the green goblin would wait for you halfway up, gliding from left to right trying to knock you down.

I graduated to the nes, it doesn't matter how many great games I owned, most of my time consisted in trying to beat mike tyson aka Mr Dream, *still no clue why tyson was removed, or when he was added on* owned all 3 castlevanias, and the marios, *still prefer Doki Doki Mario, no idea why* my older brother introduced me to strange new games such as, Kid Nikki, *still remember freaking out when I noticed the cartridge was pink* Kid Icarus, Strider, Bionic Commando, Ninja Gaiden, Paper Boy and of course Metal Gear. I introduced him to a game that would become on of his favorites, The Wrath of the Black Manta.

I picked up a snes during the Street Fighter craze, which by the way wasn't the reason I went to arcades, the reason "Captain America and the Avengers". I loved the platformers, marios, Sparkster, Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage. The action games, Final Fight, Battletoads, Super Contra and the snes crown jewel, Super Metroid. Then a friend of mine introduced me to the game that would change me, Chrono Trigger. I was introduced to a genre that rocked my world, I immediately went back and picked up Final Fantasy 2 and 3, any rpg I could get my hands on, *which until the psx came out the snes was the place to be* Tecmo Secret of the Stars, 7th Saga, Actraiser, A Link to the Past, and one of my guilty pleasures, the Breath of Fire series.

Something bad happened during that time, my brother outgrew video games, the shining light from that, he gave me his Genesis with, Out of this World, Vectorman, Sonic, Phantasy Star 2, Shining Force, and Comix Zone. Along with that, a TurboGrafx 16 with Bonks Adventure, damn I miss Bonk.

I chose the psx over the 64 when I found out FF7 was headed there. Of course the games I played were, FF7,8,9, Breath of Fire,3,4 Thousand Arms, Wild Arms, Suikoden, the underrated Vagrant Story, Hoshigami Ruining Blue Earth, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tomba, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, and so on.

My current gen story isn't as great, I grew up and started working, the problem, I buy anything I want but don't have the time to play it. So owning the big 3 can be like a double edged sword. hell I bought Dragon Quest the day it dropped, and I just got to Trodain castle after finding the ship. If anyone cares by the way, my favorite current gen game is WInd Waker, don't know why, with RE4 being a close second.

A sad story though is I don't like to get rid of my stuff, I owned most of that stuff until I moved to Phoenix about 5 years ago, I went out of town for the weekend, my house was broken into and most of my old stuff was gone, stolen, I took my ps2 with me, so that's all I had. I tried to rebuy all my old games, but the prices had skyrocketed, sigh.

That's just a tad bit of my gaming memories, now that my friend is Hardcore.

Born 1977 and was introduced to gaming in the arcade and on a Commodore vic 20. Don't remember the game, but it's one of the first that had ranks of aliens slowly descending towards the bottom of the screen while you zipped back and forth across the bottom firing the two-pixel-long beam at them. I also loved:

-Galaga
-Pong
-The cheesy racing game that had the red and white lines lining the road and your car never moved, just the road. (Road Warrior?)

then there was Double Dragon, Street figher, Contra, Mario bros (before Super Mario), Donkey Kong

Then came Tetris, Dr. Mario, Mortal Kombat, Area 51 (arcade shooter), Bloody Roar, Soul Blade

They keep rolling from there, but you get the idea.

I'm 21 and the first system I ever played was Atari 2600. My brother started me on games back than and I've owned almost everything except for neo geo.

All this talk of old school is making me misty. I can almost smell the Arcade.

My dream is to restore the Arcade back to the hay-days of the late 80's early 90's. After Pinball and Pong mania but WAY before this Dance Dance Hyper Super Max Remix III crap.

There is a building here in Austin right across the street fromt he University of Texas that used to be a 2 story Tower Records that would be perfect.

Ah, dreams.