Old School Gameboy Games

prose

Registered
Oct 15, 2015
I still remember when the original, old school, huge, gray Nintendo Gameboy came out. My cousin got one, and would let my brother and I play games on it. Shortly after, my brothers and I were each given Gameboy Colors (Gasp!! Video games in color that you can take with you! Oh, how kids these days take technology for granted....) for Christmas. The games I remember playing most are Paperboy, Tetris, and then later when Pokémon hit the scene, Pokémon Red.

Did you/do you have a Gameboy or Gameboy color? What are your favorite Gameboy games?

As a die-hard Nintendo fanboy child of the eighties, I had one of the original grey brick GameBoys! At the time it was awesome to play games comparable to those of the NES on a portable system! The perfect way to while away the time on a long road trips! (As a passenger, of course!) Of course, SEGA's Game Gear then came along and blew the GameBoy away on a technical level with its 16-bit graphics, superior sound, and even a back light! (And honestly, the lack of a back light was the GameBoy's biggest flaw. The light accessory to compensate for that was silly but necessary!) But regardless, the GameBoy's classic library of fun games compensated for that technical inferiority!

Anyway, my top five favourite Game Boy games are:

1) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

2) Wario Land

3) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

4) Metroid II: The Return of Samus

5) Bomberman II

Oddly enough, four sequels and a spin-off! (Sequels seem to work out better for video games than for film franchises!)

I have pretty much all the Nintendo handhelds up until DS Lite, sans Micro. From the original Gameboy Fatty, Playit Loud! series, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Lite, Gameboy Color, Advance, SP. I had a love of the Pokemon series so that was the main reason why I had them haha, but I also had other titles including Link's Awakening, Bomberman, (various arcade games), Kirby and a bunch of meh Disney games that people tossed my way for birthdays/X-mas.

I spent many man hours as a kid playing with this fun terrible brick. I think the only games I kept from the system are my old Pokemon games.

Hah. I only kept Pokemon, Link's Awakening, Kirby and Bomberman. The other games got chucked to the wayside since they weren't worth keeping in my books. I mean come on- Pokemon alone each game clocked like on average 300+ hours. That's a crudload of time.

I have a couple of old Gameboy Color games... Pokemon Yellow, Disney's Dinosaur, Yugioh: Reshef Of Destruction, some of the Powerpuff Girl games.. It's crazy to pop them into the GBA and see how far we've come in gaming!

The only game boy game I've played was the gameboy version of Yuu Yuu Hakusho. That's it! I thought it was a lot of fun actually. The graphics are pretty much as you'd expect with the technology available in those days. The game itself was straightforward enough and easy.

I've owned both the Gameboy and the Color, but I didn't dig too deeply into their libraries, for whatever reason. I enjoyed the NES and the SNES a great deal more, and then the GBA when it came out. Maybe I'm just a sucker for deeper colour palettes than the Color could offer.

Still liked a lot of the games, though. Pokemon was a staple, even though I came into the trend a bit late; Metroid II was great; the Mario and Wario games were all fun; aaaand I recall enjoyed at least one of the Mega Man games, even if they were usually just reconstructed clones of the NES titles.