new psp

That is what I thought, I own a DS and a PSP, but right now, the DS is winning and the PSP is already halfway to beating Nintendo.

Last edited:
It's got a long time, I think, before it starts catchin up to the DS in the game department. But with Guilty Gear X2 Judgement being bundled with #Reload, a Devil May Cry announced, and some other random RPGs and other key games, it'll start playing catch-up.

i love my DS. has some great killer games. PSP has yet to have a "must have game". the only way i can recommend a PSP purchase is if you really love movies. so much so that you will take the time to convert them to the PSP's formatting. movies and music. yeah, it can web browse, but has very limited space and functionality.

Yeah, but Zack, you have a historically bad tendency to underrate handheld versions of console games :p

Mario 64 DS, GTA Advance, GTA Liberty City Stories, and there's probably some others I don't remember.

It seems like the PSP is geared toward the "hardcore" gamer and the DS is more of the casual gamer. The question is really whether a handheld for the hardcore gamer is a great idea. Handhelds by their very nature tend toward casual gaming -- especially the types of games that you can play for ten or fifteen minutes at a time while you're on the subway, waiting for someone, etc (puzzle games, Animal Crossing, and so on).

Sony's stratgey was basicalluy to make a handheld version of the PS2. That's not a bad idea, but the software has to be there too, and so far most of the PSP's games are just handheld versions of PS2 games. Sure, hardcore fans will love that, but there are also a lot of people who figure they've already played the game on PS2, so why would they want to play it on the PSP?

I'd say the PSP was geared towards the casual gamer. Which is why it came equipped with non-game features.

excellent point BC. I agree. Handhelds are mainly for casual gamers (from the general market I see sporting them). Kids like them because they can play while riding around in the mini-van or waiting on the bus or whatever. But most gamers want to play on something that's bigger than a sandwich. It doesn't matter whether they are PC, PS2, or Xbox gamers.

And you're right, why would I spend money on or play a game on a PSP, when I already have it on a PS2?

SquallSnake7 said:

Okay . . . Well, I love movies, but I don't watch them on PSP and I wouldn't recomend people buy a PSP for movies (high cost and no extras). And I'll take Liberty City Stories, Prince of Persia Revelations, Burnout Legends, Midnight Club 3, Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Feb. 7), & Lumines over anything the DS has to offer.

SquallSnake7 said:
i love my DS. has some great killer games. PSP has yet to have a "must have game".

I'm not a Sony fanboy or anything but what "must have" game is on the DS anyway? As far as I can tell, the bulk of the top rated DS games (depending on the gaming site) are either gimmicks, kiddy, or the 30th version of the series. Yet another Mario, or Mario Kart, or Kirby game anyone? I'm not much of a Nintendogs kinda guy either (I did have a Tamagotchi when I was like 12 so I'm well over that). The only DS game that interests me is Trauma Center and I still wouldn't call it a "must have".

Sheesh, the sequels are good, Maverick x.x

And there are plenty of cool games outside of that like Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Trace Memory, Meteos, Electroplankton and Wario Ware. Plus, Kirby Canvas Curse was entirely different from any of the previous Kirby games, and the Mario Kart finally offered online play, which isn't something to scoff at. Plus, the "New Mario" is going to go back to good ol' side-scrolling adventures, which is something truly of note.

spudlyff8fan said:
And there are plenty of cool games outside of that like Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Trace Memory, Meteos, Electroplankton and Wario Ware. Plus, Kirby Canvas Curse was entirely different from any of the previous Kirby games, and the Mario Kart finally offered online play, which isn't something to scoff at. Plus, the "New Mario" is going to go back to good ol' side-scrolling adventures, which is something truly of note.

I knew someone was going to bring up those games, and while I would agree that they're good titles they are not "must haves" to me. And as far as Mario Kart goes, I am tired of playing the same game over and over with some minor tweaks. To me that's like giving online play to Ridge Racer, I don't care unless they change up the gameplay. I guess a new side scrolling Mario would interest me though.

Maverick said:
Liberty City Stories, Prince of Persia Revelations, Burnout Legends, Midnight Club 3, Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Feb. 7), & Lumines over anything the DS has to offer.

Cmon, Mav. Those are almost all the 30th game in a series. Even though we both know and love Street Fighter, there are close to 30 of em, ya have to admit.

I didn't really have a game that made me go "OMGMUSTGETDS!!!!" My first game was Kirby: Canvas Curse, but I'm not really a Kirby fan.....though, the games I'm most looking forward to are Xenosaga DS...

I do really want to get a PSP now, though. I want Guilty Gear X2 #Reload....