NES games = best ever.

Contra, Batman, Chip & Dale, TMNT 3, Gun Nac, SMB 3 etc. etc.

A huge library of epic games that made my childhood awesome, with their absurdly fun gameplay and mesmerizing soundtracks. What's your favorite NES game?

The games I played the most on NES were Mario and Duck Hunt. I especially loved duck hunt. Who wouldn't want to shoot a toy gun at a TV screen? However, the games I remember having the most fun with as a kid were for the SNES. I loved Donkey Kong, Super Mario Cart, Battle Toads, Super Mario World, and there was some knights of the round table game we played a lot.... I'm not sure of the name of it. Anyone remember a knights of the round table game for SNES? I would love to get back into playing the SNES.

Who wouldn't want to shoot a toy gun at a TV screen?

Oh yes, that seems like an absolute no-brainer to me and the inclusion of a light gun peripheral with a home video game console goes all the way back the original Magnavox Odyssey and its Shooting Gallery! (I remember when airport security were skeptical about the NES Light Zapper back in the day! Come on guys, the NES Light Zapper was clearly a harmless toy that looked more like a plastic ray gun than the rifle that the Magnavox Odyssey's Shooting Gallery resembled!)

Nes_zapper.jpg

latest

Despite that earlier tradition, I always felt that the NES Light Zapper and its like were criminally underutilized! How many games in the NES' massive library actually made use of the Light Zapper, especially in its later years?

It's a bit sad, and perhaps surprising, that the light gun peripherals eventually fell out of fashion altogether and that tradition was dropped sometime ago! Given the modern emphasis on first person shooters, one would think that they would be as popular today as ever!

Reactions: dillinger10
Despite that earlier tradition, I always felt that the NES Light Zapper and its like were criminally underutilized! How many games in the NES' massive library actually made use of the Light Zapper, especially in its later years?

It's a bit sad, and perhaps surprising, that the light gun peripherals eventually fell out of fashion altogether and that tradition was dropped sometime ago! Given the modern emphasis on first person shooters, one would think that they would be as popular today as ever!

I agree. There were so few games that were compatible with the NES Zapper. Out side of Duck Hunt, the only other games I recall the Zapper being compatible with were Hogan's Alley, Freedom Force, Track & Field and Gumshoe. There might be one or two others that I am missing, but the list of games that utilized the Zapper was an incredible small number.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy also made great use of both the NES Light Zapper and the standard controller. In fact, I consider that game to be way ahead of its time in many ways--it just suffers greatly from being a brutally difficult game that takes "Nintendo Hard" to the n-th degree! Really, it just needed adjustable difficulty settings! Check out The Spoony One's classic 2007 review below:

Reactions: dillinger10
I had completely forgot about The Adventures of Bayou Billy. That game was as frustrating a game as I have ever played. It was nigh on impossible. I am so glad I never owned this game and only played this at a friends house as it may well have put me off gaming for life. This surely that has to rank as one of the top 10 most challenging/frustrating games of all time. I wonder how many people broke the Zapper in frustration at playing this game?