My Precious Xbox!

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
In 2003, my PS2 crapped out on me, to the point where it could no longer even read disks. In 2005, my Cube kicked off, where it wouldn't turn on anymore. Now, my Xbox seems like it's on its way to console heaven. I'm having this trouble where my Xbox will have difficulty booting up. Basically, things go like this:

1) Game freezes
2) I swear alot
3) I press the eject button, and the green circle around it starts to flash for a while, but then the console turns off. It then turns back on, flashes a few times, then turns back off. Then it turns back on, and the green light flashes red. And, of course, I hit the power button to shut it off.
4) If I hit the power button again, the Xbox menu screen (the memory/music/settings/Xbox Live screen) doesn't show, and the screen just stays black, as if it isn't sending data to the TV. If I unplug it for a bit, it will go to the Xbox menu screen, but it almost always gets the "the disk is dirty or damaged, please eject" screen. If it doesn't give me that screen, it will show the black screen with the Xbox logo with the Microsoft symbol underneath, and will stay there.

It isn't just the disk, since I'm using a bunch of different games. And I called up the Microsoft helpline, but of course they were pretty useless with their "ok, just pay 20 bucks to ship it, then send us another 80 bucks, then another 20 and we'll fix your console" bull that all of the companies do.

So are there any home-fixes? Is this just one of those things that fixes itself down the line?

First, Spuds, is it the Halo 2 disc you're trying to play.....'cause that used to happen to my game when i had my original Xbox.....If it is, find a good dvd cleaner (one that does a repair feature) and that should take care of it...only run it every once in a while on the disk, cause it may ruin it over time.....if the problem happens on other games, make sure you have the newer power supply.....for older model Xboxs, they have a better power supply available for free at Xbox.com......Now some people may disagree with me on the power supply problem.....But, that is what used to happen to DVR and digital cable boxes when i was a service tech.....I changed mine out just out of precaution, but it ended up saving my Xbox for like about 6 more months.....Of course, then i got my 360 and traded in my old Xbox 'cause it was on its last leg!

I ahve problems with my xbox too! When there isn't a disc in the xbox, the disc port won't open and I have to bang on the xbox for it to open. It also takes like 30 mins for one of my games to play because it says my disc is dirty or damaged, but when I put the game in my friends xbox it works. I also can't play campaign mode on Halo2 because my xbox keeps freezing. Last, when I'm playing online on Halo2 my xbox won't read the maps so I can't play online, but it only happens sometimes and it fixes its self sometimes.

You know- a used Xbox can be had for less than $100 nowadays... sometimes MUCH less. Sucks about all those saved games though- hope you use an external plug-in save dongle thingie. Will it boot w/o a game disc in? that way, at least you can transfer your save game files.

We PC guys can just shoot copies of all such files to any number of devices, eliminating such hooops, but hey... :cookiemon