Marriage = Weirdness

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
Well, as all of you know, I got married a week and a half ago.

My wife and I did it the old fashioned way, we didn't live together or sleep together or even spend the night at each other's homes prior to our wedding. I'm glad we did it that way, but it makes for some pretty heavy adjustments!

Sunday night was the first night we spent in our apartment (which used to be her apartment) together, prior to that it was all hotels. Sunday night was weird. I'm so used to leaving that place in the evening and driving for a half an hour before I can hit the pillow, but on Sunday, I could just climb into bed and sleep. It was bizarre!

I know a few of you are married. Any impressions you can share, or general advice you can give?

(P.S. We're both back at work today, after 11 days of not being apart for longer than an hour!)

Basil, congrats man. We need Ghost here for the marriage advice. HEY GHOST, GET OVER HERE.

I don't think it worked. Let me go work on the signal flares.

I think the thing that will be the most difficult to get used to for me is having to make every meal ourselves and doing laundry every time it needs doing.

I would cook and clean at my parents house, but not all the time, I was looked after there for the most part. Now it's just the two of us and we're both busy with jobs and other stuff. It'll take some time to get used to the new responsibilities.

Emma is already used to doing stuff for herself, so it won't be too bad.

I didn't get much sleep the first month or so I was married. It is very different to adjust to life sleeping next to someone. I suggest figuring out some of the details early on, like who should be mostly responsible for what. It's fun, wonderous, and confusing. And if you're lucky, exhausting.

Yeah, we need to figure all that stuff out.

It's funny. I slept ok on the honeymoon. Of course, that was in a king bed.

We have a double, which is tiny in comparison (especially when I was sleepling alone in a queen at my parent's place). It will take some training.

I can't wait to pick Emma up from work. It's been a long day!

Hey scoops,

My wife and I have been married for 4 years, but have been together for 13 years and the best advice I can give is that you need to get a bigger bed. Snuggling is cool and all, but you need to be able to regulate your own comfort temperature. Even if it means taking up all of the space in the bedroom, you'll at least need a queen. Decent sleep factors in a bunch to marital bliss and with a bigger bed each person can achieve a personal level comfort and still remain in proximity for those moments of romantic spontaneity. Also, at the risk of getting sappy and cliche, tell her you love her everyday. It's easy for you and the world to her. Make your space a representation of both your lives, the more you participate in the decoration, cleaning, cooking, and general maintenance, and general decision making the more comfortable you both will be. Hope this was even remotely helpful, felt like a was rambling a bit.

p.s. Congrats.

I'm sharing a queen with Pat when I'm in Philly and it really isn't big enough. If at all possible, go king.

And studies show that vacuuming should be done be men - it's somehow more damaging to women (I have no idea why, but that's the case).

The only damage done when females vacuum is that it harms the feminist cause. And the feminist cause is long dead.

Actually Emma likes vacuuming. Or did you mean physical damage? I'm confused ... damage to the carpet? The person? The vacuum?

Solitudinarian, I'll take your advice to heart (although I don't think we can afford the space for a bed upgrade). The rest of it is foremost in my thoughts these days though. And as for the bed, we are both around 5'8" and I'm 160 lbs and she's pretty skinny (never tell her real weight, I don't even know!), so we fit ok on the double for now.

The condo we've bought has a fairly small bedroom. It's not built yet, so I want to wait at least until we're in there to see if we can afford the space for a queen.