Making Your Own Game

I've dabbled in it a bit, but I always seem to get distracted or forget about it after a while, sadly.
I use Clickteam Fusion and it's great. Would recommend it for anyone looking to make a video game who has no prior experience. :)

I've dabbled in it a bit, but I always seem to get distracted or forget about it after a while, sadly.
I use Clickteam Fusion and it's great. Would recommend it for anyone looking to make a video game who has no prior experience. :)

I would actually recommend Unity as a game engine for people with no experience at all. It has a free version which can still pull of great stuff, and it's one of the easiest and yet still most complex engines I've seen and used.

The things is that you'd have to buy a license to go commercial, so for trying out, Unity is great, but once you're seriously thinking about selling the game, you better go and look for an Open Source engine.

I would actually recommend Unity as a game engine for people with no experience at all. It has a free version which can still pull of great stuff, and it's one of the easiest and yet still most complex engines I've seen and used.

The things is that you'd have to buy a license to go commercial, so for trying out, Unity is great, but once you're seriously thinking about selling the game, you better go and look for an Open Source engine.

believe you can release a game using Unity-Free.. But only for the PC, Mac and web. To get the console ports you need to have Unity Pro. But the thing is, you can completely build your game in Unity Free, which will take a long time and show if you have the chops or not.

If you are serious about making games, Unity is the way to go. There are other places you can start, but they do way to much for you, make it too easy, but have a very low level of customization.. you will be making a cookie-cutter game of nearly everyone else using the same engine.

If you use Unity, it starts out very easy, but you can use the same engine to build anything later on. For example, Rust ( first person RPG survival game) and Hearthstone ( Blizzard´s card game) were both made using the same engine.

believe you can release a game using Unity-Free.. But only for the PC, Mac and web. To get the console ports you need to have Unity Pro. But the thing is, you can completely build your game in Unity Free, which will take a long time and show if you have the chops or not.

If you are serious about making games, Unity is the way to go. There are other places you can start, but they do way to much for you, make it too easy, but have a very low level of customization.. you will be making a cookie-cutter game of nearly everyone else using the same engine.

If you use Unity, it starts out very easy, but you can use the same engine to build anything later on. For example, Rust ( first person RPG survival game) and Hearthstone ( Blizzard´s card game) were both made using the same engine.

Correction, you can release it without any commercial profit, and it should be portable to Linux too (I'm a linux user so this is vital information)

And it also depends what engine you're aiming at. Unity is pretty much completely customizable, though if you're going to build everything / most things yourself anyway, you wouldn't need Unity, and you could go for any free engine , since you may sell your game then.

had to double check.. but to correct your correction. From the FAQ ´can we sell or make money using Unity free

Yes you can create and sell a game with the free version of Unity, without paying royalties or any revenue share. However, the free version of Unity may not be licensed by a commercial entity with annual gross revenues (based on fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000, or by an educational, non-profit or government entity with an annual budget of over US$100,000.

I've made a few when I was finishing exercises at university since it was part of the course I took. It was fun and fulfilling to see the game in its final form. The only real obstacles are coding and organization because you have to make sure all your files are well categorized and labelled.

Creating a game is most likely not a one man job, it would take a team of people working together for one main goal. You need a few different aspects of programming and coding, and then today with all the hackers out there, you need a section dedicated strictly to security. I am sure one person could make a game from start to finish, but I bet it would take him a very long time to get it done correctly by himself.

Creating a game is most likely not a one man job, it would take a team of people working together for one main goal. You need a few different aspects of programming and coding, and then today with all the hackers out there, you need a section dedicated strictly to security. I am sure one person could make a game from start to finish, but I bet it would take him a very long time to get it done correctly by himself.

There are a ton of games made by one person. Minecraft and A Tale in the Desert are two very big games done by one person. Preventing hacking is very hard, but destroying any game that was hacked is very easy... you just make the game unplayable for them if they try to hack. Almost every little aspect of our game that could possibly be hacked, we add a couple lines of code that change the game to be unwinnable and not fun.